Some observations on mower oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
While shopping for a new Z turn commercial mower, I learned that some companies have changed their oil recommendations. I looked at a Toro which used 10-30, Big Dog Kaw 10-40, and a Ferris with B&S commercial 30w. The Toro was their own "commercial" Chinese made engine with a nylon cam gear. That came off my list. The Ferris dealer told me that Kaw. had gone to 10-40. They had some internal engine part failures (maybe plastic). The Ferris which I bought has the Briggs Commercial turf engine and recommends 30w. It says in the manual that if you use 10-30 in hot weather, it will consume more oil. I traded a 10 yr old Kawasaki that always had 10-30 syn and never used a drop.
IMO these manufacturers are in the process of moving to heavier oils. This is probably due to the engines running so lean and hot due to EPA mandates. Their are no adjustments in the carbs and they even have solonoids in the carbs to shut off fuel when the switch is turned off so no backfiring. EPA doesn't care how long engines last but we owners do.
I think you are going to see heavier oils recommended in the future to at least get us out of warranty. Once my engine is broken in on the Briggs 30 w, I'm leaning toward a 10-40 or 15-40 HDEO.
What say ye BITOGers?

I was told that nylon holds up better than plastic. Lol I guess it saves them a few sheckles.

Nylon makes it run quieter.....like those horrid plastic covered auto timing gears in the 70s.....lol

I take the reasoning to heavier oils is that small gas engines are slowly catching up to the development of the lubrication world and being more able to recommend oils that would have always been more suitable to these engines, but now there better to handle small gas engine circumstances.

Originally Posted By: NH73
I take the reasoning to heavier oils is that small gas engines are slowly catching up to the development of the lubrication world and being more able to recommend oils that would have always been more suitable to these engines, but now there better to handle small gas engine circumstances.

I run 15w40 in all my ope no problems yet

If you do want to run a straight 30W, Walmart has it in Castrol, Pennsoil, and the Tech brand. Much cheaper than the factory branded stuff. I'm using the Tech in my 18HP Briggs.

I think it has to do with heat and lean running set-ups. You are seeing more oil coolers on the engines used in commercial equipment. B&S has a new "Oil Guard" system which is just a large oil tank on their commercial stuff. They say you can go all mowing season without changing the oil. Like having a 10 qt. sump on your vehicle. I would imagine they use synthetic in it also. Commercial guys not having to change the oil should love this.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
nylon cam gear is better right? lighter? easier to mow?

I have heard some Honda engines have a belt inside for the cam. I would take the nylon gear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loneryder

I think it has to do with heat and lean running set-ups. You are seeing more oil coolers on the engines used in commercial equipment. B&S has a new "Oil Guard" system which is just a large oil tank on their commercial stuff. They say you can go all mowing season without changing the oil. Like having a 10 qt. sump on your vehicle. I would imagine they use synthetic in it also. Commercial guys not having to change the oil should love this.

Heat was always a part of small gas engines, because of being air cooled. These engines don't have to go through near the emission stuff like car engines, and the emissions stuff is not adding heat or if or at best, adding alittle more heat to the oil. The mfg. are just starting to catch up and take advantage of the better oils out there. Like there is no need to say, Do not use 10w40. In commercial equipment, there is more room to spend money on ways to come up with to make oil last longer, not more heat. That what appears B&S is doing with there oil guard system. Allowing commercial users to change oil less often.

Last edited:
A lot of the new oil recommendations are for emissions. A 5w30 SN synthetic might squeak out a tad bit better fuel economy and emissions rating than say a 15w40 HDEO.

Small engines definitely do not have as strict emissions standards as modern day cars, but the EPA is cracking down on them. This is why we have non-adjustable carburetors that run so lean the engines often surge at full throttle. One little tiny spec of dirt or varnish makes the engine run terribly or not at all where the older engines/carbs were more forgiving.

Originally Posted By: loneryder

Heat was always a part of small gas engines, because of being air cooled. These engines don't have to go through near the emission stuff like car engines, and the emissions stuff is not adding heat or if or at best, adding alittle more heat to the oil. The mfg. are just starting to catch up and take advantage of the better oils out there. Like there is no need to say, Do not use 10w40. In commercial equipment, there is more room to spend money on ways to come up with to make oil last longer, not more heat. That what appears B&S is doing with there oil guard system. Allowing commercial users to change oil less often.

Lean running engines run at higher temps is all I'm saying. Higher temps are harder on lubricating oil. Yes the oils are better these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back