"The balloon" shot down

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I never saw mentioned in all the "shoot it down over Montana" talk is the chance of starting a grass fire. If Eastern Montana doesn't have snow cover right now, that could have been a lot more likely than debris causing damage or injury.

Fire, wind, and dry grass are no joke on the High Plains.

The Army learned clear back in the Civil War that you can put cannon balls through balloons and it takes a long time to have any affect on the altitude it is flying at. They don't use Hydrogen in them so they don't catch fire like a Zeppelin.
The Germans flew Zeppelins filled with hydrogen over Britain in WWI. The Brits could attack them with aircraft and shoot lots of holes in them but it took a long time to figure out how to get them to burn.

I only vaguely remember the discussion but I think the problem was that they were filled with pure Hydrogen which, in the absence of oxygen, doesn't burn.

One of my older patients remembered Zeppelins flying overhead and dropping small bombs.

Lots of questions : I’m wondering when it was first detected. Would it have progressed over Taiwan, Japan, then over the vastness of the Pacific before approaching say the Aleutians before crossing into North America? Did other countries spot it and alert the USA and we allowed it to continue on for whatever reason? Were we aware of it before it crossed over into N America and decided to observe it for a couple of days and in doing so deemed it not a national security threat? Was it being tracked by NORAD? Why destroy it immediately after it clears N.America and after it had meandered over the entire continent for a week? IMO the odds of it crashing over NW Canada or Montana and the debris falling killing someone would be about the same odds as winning $1.5 billion on the Powerball lottery. I’m pretty sure it spent some time over N.C. to get to S.C. from the N.W. and I wouldn’t have had any qualms of giving the go ahead to destroy it at most anytime during its “flight” over N. America.

Many seem to think that high altitude balloons are uncommon. They’re not. We launch them, other countries launch them. I’ve seen them. They’re well above airliner, or even military, traffic.

Knowing whether it is weather or soy requires some close up imaging, which likely can’t be done until it’s over land.

By then, a shoot down is a poor idea. You can’t get the risk of civilian casualties to zero.

It wasn’t until this one was determined to be “not weather” that a shoot down could be considered.

Lots of questions : I’m wondering when it was first detected. Would it have progressed over Taiwan, Japan, then over the vastness of the Pacific before approaching say the Aleutians before crossing into North America? Did other countries spot it and alert the USA and we allowed it to continue on for whatever reason? Were we aware of it before it crossed over into N America and decided to observe it for a couple of days and in doing so deemed it not a national security threat? Was it being tracked by NORAD? Why destroy it immediately after it clears N.America and after it had meandered over the entire continent for a week? IMO the odds of it crashing over NW Canada or Montana and the debris falling killing someone would be about the same odds as winning $1.5 billion on the Powerball lottery. I’m pretty sure it spent some time over N.C. to get to S.C. from the N.W. and I wouldn’t have had any qualms of giving the go ahead to destroy it at most anytime during its “flight” over N. America.
My biggest question is based on the prevailing upper level winds, this thing had to have penetrated the Alaskan ADIZ several days before drifting across Canada and then entering Montana. But all the news reports along with the Pentagon spokesmen acted like they were caught off guard. Surely this wasn’t the case.

Last edited:
A couple points -

First - shooting it down over the US has a risk of it hitting something important on the ground. House, child, school, whatever. You can’t control the trajectory after hitting it and there is a chance of fragmentation, yielding more objects hitting the ground. Sure, odds over Montana are low, but they are not zero. And they need to be zero in this case.

So, shooting it down over water was the right thing to do.

Next - a fighter gun was never going to work. A fighter gun has a practical rebate of about a mile. Beyond that, bullet dispersion and projectile deceleration reduce the gun to minimally effective.

You simply can’t get an airplane with gun to a mile away from something at 90,000-100,000 feet. Even the “zoom climb”, if it worked, leaves the fighter as a ballistic object - without the fine control needed to aim a gun at a target a mile away. You aim the gun by flying the airplane. A few feet of aiming correction at a mile is about 1/100th of a degree in pitch or yaw. The airplane has to be responsive and flying for that to work - not on a ballistic trajectory.

So - a missile is the best option. But which one?

It wasn’t a sidewinder. The AIM-9X tracks on heat. The ballon may, or may not, have a heat signature. Likely not, as it has cooled to ambient temperature of about -40 degrees. It’s warmer than the cold sky above it, but not by much. Further, the range on the AIM-9 isn’t that far. The fighter has to get the missile close enough, and with enough velocity at launch, to intercept. Low chance of success with an AIM-9.

The AIM-120 AMRAAM is my guess. Long range. Radar guided. The fighter would be able to see the balloon on radar, allowing a lock and a missile launch.

The launch window would be brief.

Because shooting too early means the missile runs out of energy before intercept. The rocket motor has a small, finite, burn time, after which the missile decelerates. The missile needs to be going fast enough for the fins to be able to adjust its flight path so that it intercepts.

Shooting too late requires the missile to make a steep climb, where the air is very thin. It is limited in maneuverability in that thin air, and a late shot won’t be able to make the intercept because of the missile’s limited ability to turn at that altitude.

At the speed of the fighter, over Mach 1 to be up above 60,000 feet, the launch window, between too early and too late, will be brief. It might require a pitch up to give the missile an initial vector in the right direction.

So, Raptor, AMRAAM, over the ocean.

According to one report I read, the missile used was an AIM-9X and it was fired from approximately 58,000 ft.

Although, seeing that type of detail in a news report on something I would assume would have some secrecy around it, does make me question it.

A couple points -

First - shooting it down over the US has a risk of it hitting something important on the ground. House, child, school, whatever. You can’t control the trajectory after hitting it and there is a chance of fragmentation, yielding more objects hitting the ground. Sure, odds over Montana are low, but they are not zero. And they need to be zero in this case.

So, shooting it down over water was the right thing to do.

Next - a fighter gun was never going to work. A fighter gun has a practical rebate of about a mile. Beyond that, bullet dispersion and projectile deceleration reduce the gun to minimally effective.

You simply can’t get an airplane with gun to a mile away from something at 90,000-100,000 feet. Even the “zoom climb”, if it worked, leaves the fighter as a ballistic object - without the fine control needed to aim a gun at a target a mile away. You aim the gun by flying the airplane. A few feet of aiming correction at a mile is about 1/100th of a degree in pitch or yaw. The airplane has to be responsive and flying for that to work - not on a ballistic trajectory.

So - a missile is the best option. But which one?

It wasn’t a sidewinder. The AIM-9X tracks on heat. The ballon may, or may not, have a heat signature. Likely not, as it has cooled to ambient temperature of about -40 degrees. It’s warmer than the cold sky above it, but not by much. Further, the range on the AIM-9 isn’t that far. The fighter has to get the missile close enough, and with enough velocity at launch, to intercept. Low chance of success with an AIM-9.

The AIM-120 AMRAAM is my guess. Long range. Radar guided. The fighter would be able to see the balloon on radar, allowing a lock and a missile launch.

The launch window would be brief.

Because shooting too early means the missile runs out of energy before intercept. The rocket motor has a small, finite, burn time, after which the missile decelerates. The missile needs to be going fast enough for the fins to be able to adjust its flight path so that it intercepts.

Shooting too late requires the missile to make a steep climb, where the air is very thin. It is limited in maneuverability in that thin air, and a late shot won’t be able to make the intercept because of the missile’s limited ability to turn at that altitude.

At the speed of the fighter, over Mach 1 to be up above 60,000 feet, the launch window, between too early and too late, will be brief. It might require a pitch up to give the missile an initial vector in the right direction.

So, Raptor, AMRAAM, over the ocean.
Dude, don't muddy this armchair-generaling, tinfoil hat-wearing conversation with facts!

Apparently these balloons entering our airspace aren't uncommon, I read there have been several that have flown across the US over the last few years. Why is this one getting so much attention?

According to one report I read, the missile used was an AIM-9X and it was fired from approximately 58,000 ft.

Although, seeing that type of detail in a news report on something I would assume would have some secrecy around it, does make me question it.
Then, if true, that thing had a lot more of a heat signature than I would’ve guessed. I had assumed it was ambient temperature and cold.

I'm glad they shot it down, but I'd bet the data it gathered was being sent to China in real time.
If it were in fact a Chinese balloon, any data was uplinked to satellites and China had it pretty quickly. I’m not convinced that it was a Chinese balloon. It looked a lot like a Raven Aerostar balloon. Of course, it could have been a Chinese copy.

Then, if true, that thing had a lot more of a heat signature than I would’ve guessed. I had assumed it was ambient temperature and cold.
I just read a news report that claimed the missile was an AIM-9X Block 2 that used data link from the launch F-22 for guidance for at least part of the flight path, if not all. I have no prior knowledge either classified or unclassified of the capability of this missile, or the accuracy of the report.
If, as a country, we have any hair on our covered regions, when we receive the Chinese diplomatic protest we will respond with not an apology, but with a bill for $400k for the cost of the missile. And then impose serious sanctions until the bill is paid.

If there was a digital camera sensor part of the, uh, "civilian payload" it likely reached temperatures of up to 110°F in video mode. That's a small area but a significant heat signature at an ambient temperature of around -70°. A high-altitude camera would also require a heater for a digital camera sensor to work as the latter usually stop working around freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
Should have shot it down over Alaska. They average over 100 plane accidents/crashes a year. Not any mention of injuries or deaths risked by all those falling birds in their sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back