"The balloon" shot down

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple points -

First - shooting it down over the US has a risk of it hitting something important on the ground. House, child, school, whatever. You can’t control the trajectory after hitting it and there is a chance of fragmentation, yielding more objects hitting the ground. Sure, odds over Montana are low, but they are not zero. And they need to be zero in this case.
In the videos I’ve seen, you could clearly see “stuff” (my arm chair 5 star general guess? Mostly solar panels) raining down around the rest of the structure. From 60,000ft you can have a massive debris field, most people don’t seem to be thinking about that.

For laughs, but also why missile>bullets

It was at, what, 86,000' up ? While I'm sure the max ceiling for our fighter jets is classified, I'm quite certain they can't go anywhere near that height.
We have equipment that doesn’t have a real ceiling but it’s few and far between

I'm glad they shot it down, but I'd bet the data it gathered was being sent to China in real time.
What important secret US data could a balloon gather at 86,000 feet that a satellite couldn't? The only advantage between the two is a balloon is in the atmosphere which means it's only better for measuring data related to the atmosphere.

What important secret US data could a balloon gather at 86,000 feet that a satellite couldn't? The only advantage between the two is a balloon is in the atmosphere which means it's only better for measuring data related to atmosphere.
I don't know, but what I've read is the defense department has some very impressive satellites in orbit that can take some pretty impressive pictures. It can also tell them how the US would react, etc. use your imagination. This thing crossed the entire country before we took it out. So depending on what type of equipment that balloon had on it and what it flew over God, China, and the Defense department will know what they gathered. Us Bitoger's won't, but we can guess, speculate, and argue over it. ;)

Last edited:
"At the speed of the fighter, over Mach 1 to be up above 60,000 feet, the launch window, between too early and too late, will be brief. It might require a pitch up to give the missile an initial vector in the right direction".

This and million other variables as the Odo rapidly approaches 12 miles.

zens if they shot it down sooner, like in say.
Too big too heavy. If it weights as much as several busses, snagging it at 130+mph would not fair well for any airframe.
Who said anything about weight? it is as WIDE as three buses. AJ on his Friday show said this is a test run for a EMP weapon deployment. Balloons can set off a just the right atmospheric conditions much easier than a missile . ... then he said if the Chinese have them, "you be sure" the US does!

and we used a 400k dollar missile to take it down? Reparations?

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly it, goof.
The balloon passed over huge areas of unpopulated Montana.
My guess is that it wasn't as easy as you believe it was to figure out where that would land and/or its course didn't take it over unpopulated areas. As far as I can tell they shot it down the moment it was over ocean and safe to do so.

Might have scared a cow or 2

Or could have landed on a house in "rural" Montana of hit a motorway causing accidents. Maybe ask the residents there if they wanted a balloon shot down over them with some serious debris. The same NIMBY here are willing to put others at risk but would piss themselves if anything of the sort were to be done over their airspace...

Or could have landed on a house in "rural" Montana of hit a motorway causing accidents. Maybe ask the residents there if they wanted a balloon shot down over them with some serious debris.
They're not going to ask residents opinions or ask for permission. If the military or the administration felt the risk was severe enough, they'd shoot it down over Chicago or New York and deal with the consequences.

Which is why it was stupid not to shoot it down in Montana in the first place, instead the government allowed China to collect information across its path across america.
There are farm/ ranches in the middle of no where Montana. Just an FYI....

The missile hasn’t been used in that way before, so there had to be some serious analysis to get the shot right.
Military: Where's the Raytheon guys ?
Raytheon: The AMRAAM wasn't designed to do that.
Military: I don't care what it was designed to do, I want to know what it can do.
Raytheon: Uhhh, I'll get back to you on that.

See if anyone gets this....

Last edited:
We were able to watch the fighter planes ✈️ circling it from the front of our soon to be new home in NC. It was wild. Photos don’t do justice to the “scale” of it.
My brother and sister in law were able to put their lawn chairs on their front driveway and watch it get shot down, including the deep boom of the missile explosion which they described as a few seconds later.
I was close by but distracted at the time and missed that part 😖
The bottom photo where the two jet trails intersect, if you can expand the photo you will see a white dot to the top right of that intersection which is the balloon.
I wish I had my Nikon with me, I almost took it because we were checking on our home construction, but had to do with the cell phone camera. I’ll go through my photos later see if I come up with a better one, once I get out of bed LOL

I already heard last night from someone with relatives in SC that a potential cottage industry is forming of souvenir seekers that want to collect pieces and sell them on ebay...

OK, it’s unlock time.

I apologize for posting the SNL skit. I contributed to the political tone of the thread, though it wasn’t my intent. I thought the skit was funny, and @Pablo correctly pointed out the mention of political figures in the skit.

Since I contributed to the lock, I’ve removed that post, and my own replies on that post.

It is only fair that members have an opportunity to continue discussing this topic.

My guess is that it wasn't as easy as you believe it was to figure out where that would land and/or its course didn't take it over unpopulated areas. As far as I can tell they shot it down the moment it was over ocean and safe to do so.
My friend collided with another fighter jet some 10yrs ago. Both ejected, planes disintegrated going down. Part of an airplane hits some old lady on some farm in the middle of nowhere. Her arm had to be amputated. Next closest house was some 25km away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back