That’s one small leak in my radiator...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
My goodness that's a serious repair bill. An extended warranty is a good thing when it comes to expensive vehicles and unusual or trouble prone components.

I would agree that many modern vehicles with half an engine, fall short of the "gold standard" of prior generation vehicles. I have 3 F150's, the one I love has an old school V8, 6 speed automatic and hydraulic rack-n-pinion steering, just like God intended. It's instantly responsive, does not hunt for gears, smooth as butter, and it's fun.

I hear you. I am starting to feel the itch to replace a vehicle, then I read a thread like this, and think twice again. Anything can fail, let's be clear, but I do prefer 'em to be more simple for this reason.

Originally Posted by RichardS
Leo99,
Wow, indeed! I don't know whose idea it was to marry the trans and engine cooler, but I hope they're still laughing.

The engine side helps warm up and maintain operating temp of the trans side in cold weather, so that's a good thing.
It's also a less expensive design.
And almost all the time it works just fine, but in the rare times it doesn't, not good for the transmission.
As a guy who spent time designing vehicle cooling systems and later on automatic transmissions, I'd say it's a reasonable approach.

Nascarnation,
I definitely don't disagree, and vaguely understand the benefits of it. I just wonder if there isn't a better method that may reduce the overall damage should a failure occur, while maintaining the benefits of reaching operating temperature more quickly. Maybe there is, and it just becomes cost prohibitive, or too complicated.

The Critic,
I really have nothing to compare the price to, as this is the first transmission I've bought that wasn't already in a car. The $5,900 for the transmission unit included the almost $1,300 core charge, taking the final cost down to $4,600. Expensive, but it doesn't *seem* ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back