That didn’t last long. Lordstown getting ready to pull the plug.

Depends on the manufacturer. BMW HQ is in NJ, not SC. Most companies except Nissan and Toyota have HQs in the North or West.
Production is in the Southeast.
Also, you are talking about the average. Averages are influenced by a lot of things.
BMW headquarters is in Munich. BMW N. America headquarters is in NJ, and they mostly run N. America sales, and have nothing to do with the Greer plant. The average salary I posted was for the Greer plant and came from a South Carolina article.

Mercedes North America Headquarters is in Atlanta. They moved it a few years back from the NE, for tax reasons I understand. They do have a little to do with the Mercedes plant in Alabama, they do capex procurement and pay invoices.

Not sure what your point is. Companies are not coming to the South for cheap labor, at least not anymore. If that was true they would be going to Mexico. A vast number of technical people that worked in automotive continue to move here from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and its not because pay is low.

Just saw my first Lucid sedan a month ago down in Harlingen, TX

EV's aren't going anywhere (although I think some would like them to be) & the business start-up success has been decent across the board. We all should know the first few years are the hardest & this is nothing new here. It's part of the evolution.

Any good car is hard to make.

And it's extremely hard to make an EV that is actually a good car.
You could have just left that last part off. I don't think it's any harder to make an EV good, I think the problem is that we have car companies that aren't having to deal with developing ICE powerplants and dealing with direct emissions which makes it easier as a start up to make a product quicker to market with less regulations to deal with as a result. It just happens that companies that develop good cars tend to develop better cars than those that don't have much experience making them. There's a couple outliers, but many have failed. I think Tesla for one has been around long enough now that they're no longer in that startup demographic, but Lucid and Rivian are getting there if they keep at it. Lordstown didn't get off the ground at all, just blew up on the launch pad.

Absolutely. One reason: cheap labor in the South.
That's the average. What's the median? :sneaky:
The internet is your friend. The insinuation and demeaning “tone of voice” on “Cheap Labor” at BMW in the south (and others) shows the ignorance of many people.

Anyone can get a job down here, support a family, get AMAZING health benefits and all others including generous PTO, work schedules… the list goes on.

I’m not trashing you guys nor anyone else but you need to educate yourselves on these workers lives and that of their families with salaries higher then even public service like police.
You’re so jaded by whatever high tax restrictive states you MAY live in that you can not comprehend what life can be like non restrictive low tax freedom loving states.

It’s sad because not understanding that will never force changes for the better where you live by means of how you vote.

I spent the vast majority of my life in an affluent area of New York rated among the top income areas in the USA
People are miserable big incomes taxed to death, locked into an area with no place to go until the breaking point and why the outflow of people from the state.

The others think they have it good but they’ve never been to the other side like I have.

When we moved south. Our teenage kids came with us. Educated here and life couldn’t be any better for them now with their own homes and families.
Opportunities they would’ve never had in the land of the free.

Wont let myself (for once🤣) get dragged into more posts in this today. Some dogs can’t learn new tricks unless they want too.
:unsure:

Last edited:
The internet is your friend. The insinuation and demeaning “tone of voice” on “Cheap Labor” at BMW in the south (and others) shows the ignorance of many people.

Anyone can get a job down here, support a family, get AMAZING health benefits and all others including generous PTO, work schedules… the list goes on.

I’m not trashing you guys nor anyone else but you need to educate yourselves on these workers lives and that of their families with salaries higher then even public service like police.
You’re so jaded by whatever high tax restrictive states you MAY live in that you can not comprehend what life can be like non restrictive low tax freedom loving states.

It’s sad because not understanding that will never force changes for the better where you live by means of how you vote.

I spent the vast majority of my life in an affluent area of New York rated among the top income areas in the USA
People are miserable big incomes taxed to death, locked into an area with no place to go until the breaking point and why the outflow of people from the state.

The others think they have it good but they’ve never been to the other side like I have.

When we moved south. Our teenage kids came with us. Educated here and life couldn’t be any better for them now with their own homes and families.
Opportunities they would’ve never had in the land of the free.

Wont let myself (for once🤣) get dragged into more posts in this today. Some dogs can’t learn new tricks unless they want too.
:unsure:
I lived in the South for 8 yrs and worked with Alabama government on bringing VW.

BMW headquarters is in Munich. BMW N. America headquarters is in NJ, and they mostly run N. America sales, and have nothing to do with the Greer plant. The average salary I posted was for the Greer plant and came from a South Carolina article.

Mercedes North America Headquarters is in Atlanta. They moved it a few years back from the NE, for tax reasons I understand. They do have a little to do with the Mercedes plant in Alabama, they do capex procurement and pay invoices.

Not sure what your point is. Companies are not coming to the South for cheap labor, at least not anymore. If that was true they would be going to Mexico. A vast number of technical people that worked in automotive continue to move here from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and its not because pay is low.
The BMW HQ in NJ doesn’t have anything with SC operation? How does that work?

Of course all these companies came bcs. Cheap labor, HUGE tax incentives at expense of education, healthcare etc. In the end, AL although it had better financial package for VW, lost bid bcs. VW was appalled with public education and had concerns that a. education cannot support needs in the long run, b. German employees wouldn’t like that system. So they choose TN.

But it is short term benefit. Montgomery got Hyundai plant and later La Grange got KIA. Between those two cities you have pretty much every possible Hyundai/KIA supplier. Yet, last 10yrs region is in absolute decline, economically and in every other way, to the point where AL lost congressional seat.
Of course everyone want car factory, but for many states in the South it came at huge cost. Many states simply didn’t want to pay for that. It is like football teams.

Sales and marketing division of large companies are typically a different silo corporately to manufacturing division of a company. BMW manufacturing and engineering is run out of Germany. How they roll taxes and profits up is left to the tax attorneys.

When I worked for a Fortune 50 company (didn't forget the zero) our headquarters was in NJ, and the only ones there were attorneys, accountants and the executives that talked to wall street. They had zero to do with how the manufacturing or even sales side of things worked, other than have meetings and approve budgets for the various division presidents.

Sales and marketing division of large companies are typically a different silo corporately to manufacturing division of a company. BMW manufacturing and engineering is run out of Germany. How they roll taxes and profits up is left to the tax attorneys.

When I worked for a Fortune 50 company (didn't forget the zero) our headquarters was in NJ, and the only ones there were attorneys, accountants and the executives that talked to wall street. They had zero to do with how the manufacturing or even sales side of things worked, other than have meetings and approve budgets for the various division presidents.
BMW has huge engineering division in NJ. Their PUMA cases are always run to NJ than Germany. North American R&D division is in NJ. NJ BMW employs actually more people than their SC operation.
By the way, I’am very well aware where BMW is actually having company HQ. But, I am really not sure you get the scope of their operation in North America.

BMW has huge engineering division in NJ. Their PUMA cases are always run to NJ than Germany. North American R&D division is in NJ. NJ BMW employs actually more people than their SC operation.
By the way, I’am very well aware where BMW is actually having company HQ. But, I am really not sure you get the scope of their operation in North America.
Puma is after sales issues - so its not going to go to the plant. Collected in NJ. If it requires changing car design or changing manufacturing process, it goes to Germany.

Of course all these companies came bcs. Cheap labor, HUGE tax incentives at expense of education, healthcare etc.

Rolls-Royce plant in Virginia lasted 10 years before shutting down..

. The state provided an incentives package worth $57 million, most of it linked to employment and investment targets that the company would have to meet over 16 years.

Puma is after sales issues - so its not going to go to the plant. Collected in NJ. If it requires changing car design or changing manufacturing process, it goes to Germany.
Do you actually know what is PUMA? It is resolving technical and engineering issues outside of dealerships. NJ is direct stop to try to resolve it.
I am really not sure what are you trying to argue here? SC is a plant. It is not R&D facility etc. Everything else is located in NJ.
There is a very simplistic reason why BMW (or other manufacturers) don’t move jobs like that to SC, AL etc. Those states cannot support operations like that (except to certain extent Texas). You have to recruit people that support those operations, which is far different than recruiting plant workers etc. You worked for Fortune 500 company, you know how that works. If it was that easy Tesla wouldn’t bring back R&D to Silicon Valley from TX.

Rolls-Royce plant in Virginia lasted 10 years before shutting down..

Alabama gave huge incentives to Hyundai/KIA. Factories supporting those manufacturers popped out like mushrooms after rain on I85 corridor between Montgomery and La Grange. Today, that is second most depressed region in Alabama after West Alabama.
It was short term gain at expense of long term investments. It is good politics. It generates headlines. And sure, no one complains about more jobs. Problem is that these deals are super expensive for states.
We for example in Colorado Springs just got several operations that will generate more than 3,000 jobs and yet, there were no big tax incentives etc. except some preferential policies to acquire land.

Alabama gave huge incentives to Hyundai/KIA. Factories supporting those manufacturers popped out like mushrooms after rain on I85 corridor between Montgomery and La Grange. Today, that is second most depressed region in Alabama after West Alabama.

In Virginia, the state/locality gives incentives to businesses that locate in certain areas like southwest Virginia. These businesses run for a few years, shut down, start up under a new name, and collect more incentives. They tend to be the sort of businesses that aren't very capital intensive like call centers, easy to start up, easy to shut down.

I sort of think that if you have to offer incentives to a business, you're making up for shortcomings in other areas, like lack of infrastructure or a workforce that can pass a drug test.

Do you actually know what is PUMA? It is resolving technical and engineering issues outside of dealerships. NJ is direct stop to try to resolve it.
I am really not sure what are you trying to argue here? SC is a plant. It is not R&D facility etc. Everything else is located in NJ.
There is a very simplistic reason why BMW (or other manufacturers) don’t move jobs like that to SC, AL etc. Those states cannot support operations like that (except to certain extent Texas). You have to recruit people that support those operations, which is far different than recruiting plant workers etc. You worked for Fortune 500 company, you know how that works. If it was that easy Tesla wouldn’t bring back R&D to Silicon Valley from TX.
You just agreed with me but now your arguing with me. PuMA = "Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales" in Deutch. Problem management after sale. And the u is lowercase.

ie like I said, its post sale - so why would a manufacturing facility be involved directly in post sales problems? That isn't what manufacturing facilities do. They build a product to a spec. No more or no less.

Your arguing exactly what I said earlier - NJ has nothing to do with Greer SC manufacturing. Your the one asking how that works.

Pick a side would ya?

Ignore on.

You just agreed with me but now your arguing with me. PuMA = "Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales" in Deutch. Problem management after sale. And the u is lowercase.

ie like I said, its post sale - so why would a manufacturing facility be involved directly in post sales problems? That isn't what manufacturing facilities do. They build a product to a spec. No more or no less.

Your arguing exactly what I said earlier - NJ has nothing to do with Greer SC manufacturing. Your the one asking how that works.

Pick a side would ya?

Ignore on.
You do know that everything that SC plant does has to go through NJ? NJ is North American HQ! ANY BMW operation in North America goes thru NJ.
SC is plant! That is it. Nothing else. Plant that could operate in SC, AL, GA, etc.
PUMA are specific, technical operations. Google won’t help you as much unless you actually know what they are. Those are engineering issues that dealerships cannot resolve and go either NJ or Munich. SC doesn’t do that, they don’t have such complex operations. It is a plant.

In Virginia, the state/locality gives incentives to businesses that locate in certain areas like southwest Virginia. These businesses run for a few years, shut down, start up under a new name, and collect more incentives. They tend to be the sort of businesses that aren't very capital intensive like call centers, easy to start up, easy to shut down.

I sort of think that if you have to offer incentives to a business, you're making up for shortcomings in other areas, like lack of infrastructure or a workforce that can pass a drug test.
Manufacturing plants are definitely bigger deals than that. For VW, A was looking at some $200-250 million expense to the state. Many states, generally those that are economically in much better state, won’t offer that. Colorado would never throw money at something like that. This is a. Quick solution to unemployment. B. If they stick long enough, they will start generating tax revenue, C. MOST IMPORTANT, it is REA, REALLY good politics! People don’t ask complex questions. 2,000 jobs? Good enough. But, like football teams tax incentives, there is much more below the surface.

Back