TFLT tows with a Cybertruck

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
The Fast Lane Truck put up a YouTube video towing a decent size travel trailer with a Cybertruck. Interestingly it handled and towed just fine but of course the safe usable range is short at 100 miles. Andre had to fuss around the menus a bit but you'd expect that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been well established that EV trucks are not meant for towing. Not to mention the fact it would be very difficult to recharge with a 30 foot trailer attached to it at most EV charge points.

Note-I didn't watch the video.

Just have the generator in the RV trailer running to charge the truck. Still WAY better MPG than an ICE truck
have you done the math on that or are you joking?

Hint if truck uses 1kwh per mile and is traveling at 70mph.. you would need 70kw gen... RV gens are usually <5k?
many are even smaller without 240v?

have you done the math on that or are you joking?

Hint if truck uses 1kwh per mile and is traveling at 70mph.. you would need 70kw gen... RV gens are usually <5k?

Yes, charging an EV from a generator is still 2x cheaper than buying gas AT LEAST (Using Texas prices of Gas and NG)

>1kwh per mile and is traveling at 70mph.. you would need 70kw gen

Yeah but it doesn't.

Yes, charging an EV from a generator is still 2x cheaper than buying gas AT LEAST (Using Texas prices of Gas and NG)
But you have to buy gas for the Generator?
and the cybertruck towing was using near 1 kwh per mile...

I never figured out if you are trolling/joking or serious?

I'm going to go with joking because otherwise your statements make no sense.

I think the ev to gas mpg equivalent is quite good even when towing. It’s unfortunate batteries cant hold the equivalent energy as a tank of gas for there size.

Just have the generator in the RV trailer running to charge the truck. Still WAY better MPG than an ICE truck
There’s simply no way that any mobile generator available would be able to outpace the battery usage to tow a trailer like that if the range was only 100 miles. You’d merely barely make a dent in the rate of how fast the battery fell. I used over 8kW driving 22 miles in a Grand Cherokee and that wasn’t towing.

What’s the rate of Tesla Superchargers these days? 350 or 400kW/hr? The biggest mobile gensets are maybe 12-14k? The math isn’t even funny comparing the two.

that would be a big heavy generator, likely beyond the towing capacity of the Cybertruck
It’s unfortunate batteries cant hold the equivalent energy as a tank of gas for there size.
there is that.

I am interested to know what the increase of charging cost will be once they (local govt DOT) lose revenue due to loss of gas tax funds. All those 15$ charge ups will be 100$. Cant wait until this happens and we can argue about the math economics then. NC already charges a annual fee for registering an EV.

There’s simply no way that any mobile generator available would be able to outpace the battery usage to tow a trailer like that if the range was only 100 miles. You’d merely barely make a dent in the rate of how fast the battery fell. I used over 8kW driving 22 miles in a Grand Cherokee and that wasn’t towing.

What’s the rate of Tesla Superchargers these days? 350 or 400kW/hr? The biggest mobile gensets are maybe 12-14k? The math isn’t even funny comparing the two.

Wait, you mean a 5hp generator can't make 100hp's worth of electricity? Wierd how that works.

@SupremePossum if the prime mover of the genset doesn't make at least the same HP as an ICE engine driving the truck would make while towing steady state, there's no way that a generator converting motion ----> electricity and then back to motion in the truck is going to work to keep up with steady demand. And that's assuming 100% efficiency, which those conversions are not.

You can argue with physics all you want, but at the end of the day, you can't fight it.

Wait, you mean a 5hp generator can't make 100hp's worth of electricity? Wierd how that works.
you cant get something from nothing.

I mean, did anyone think seriously that this would be a good towing vehicle?
I think they would be. Really, they are good at the towing aspect of towing, especially in the city. The range is the issue. The electric motor have a distinct power advantage over ICE, since they make max torque at all rpm.

I am not a mathematician or engineer......but it would seem to me that the power output of these vehicles is a bit much. I tow a 15k load pretty frequently with my 2015 6.0ls 3500 gm truck. It was rated for 322hp/380tq@4200 rpm. I tow in 4th gear cruising with a 1.15 to 1 gear (6l90e) With this load I can tow about 500 miles on a full tank of 66 gallons combined city and highway, it mostly highway , I get about 10.

Point being, if these new electric vehicles had the same power output as the like truck, their battery would last longer. The most power a electrical motor makes, the more it uses, I know this from new power tools, and the lies of brushless systems.

Maybe the trucks would increase range with a lower KW motor, and a slight gear reduction?

But you have to buy gas for the Generator?
and the cybertruck towing was using near 1 kwh per mile...

I never figured out if you are trolling/joking or serious?

I'm going to go with joking because otherwise your statements make no sense.
How about the cost of the generator for the intended use? No thanks, if I want to tow I'll get an ICE truck.

you cant get something from nothing.

I think they would be. Really, they are good at the towing aspect of towing, especially in the city. The range is the issue. The electric motor have a distinct power advantage over ICE, since they make max torque at all rpm.

I am not a mathematician or engineer......but it would seem to me that the power output of these vehicles is a bit much. I tow a 15k load pretty frequently with my 2015 6.0ls 3500 gm truck. It was rated for 322hp/380tq@4200 rpm. I tow in 4th gear cruising with a 1.15 to 1 gear (6l90e) With this load I can tow about 500 miles on a full tank of 66 gallons combined city and highway, it mostly highway , I get about 10.

Point being, if these new electric vehicles had the same power output as the like truck, their battery would last longer. The most power a electrical motor makes, the more it uses, I know this from new power tools, and the lies of brushless systems.

Maybe the trucks would increase range with a lower KW motor, and a slight gear reduction?
But, it was not made for those purposes. They could lower power, but then you wouldn’t be able to make 0-60mph videos.
Even then, range is still issue. You can tow 500mls. Energy density is an issue, and let’s say hypothetically, they get 200mls towing range with cutting power to 300hp, it is still 200mls and then charging. It’s will take some time before EV become alternative.
I agree torque wise, no doubt about that.

Back