Texting while driving - Captain obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
2) Each graduate students performing the research part time will be provided with tuition and some salary (typically $15-20 per hour) for the time he spent. So you can say it is about $35k tuition and another $30k per year of salary.

That sounds rather generous. When I was in grad school 20 years ago, I was only getting $10K per year (one-third less). Engineering salaries have only doubled. You're saying grad students are now getting triple.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
2) Each graduate students performing the research part time will be provided with tuition and some salary (typically $15-20 per hour) for the time he spent. So you can say it is about $35k tuition and another $30k per year of salary.

That sounds rather generous. When I was in grad school 20 years ago, I was only getting $10K per year (one-third less). Engineering salaries have only doubled. You're saying grad students are now getting triple.

I'm paid in that range as an undergrad student part-time lab technician. Of course I actually have job experience in the field so I'm paid a bit more than average. Minimum pay is $10/hr no matter what your job is.

another fact to add is professors are required to spit out a certain amount of research to keep their job, something like 3 journal published reports every 6 years. Good professors that just want to teach end up getting pushed away, lifetime PhDs with no industry experience stay and publish junk. Do joint "research" with a student and professor's name on the journal paper and it double counts!

Originally Posted By: Kestas

When we did a research project for a pharmaceutical company in grad school (some 11 years ago), we got paid nothing. The company only reimbursed us for the expenses incurred, and we earned 3 credits towards graduation.

I had six years industrial experience when I went back to school. It made no difference in my research assistanceship pay.

Cost of living has a lot to do with pay scale. Your 10k a year in mo town is probably more useful than our 20k a year in the SF bay area. 10 years ago my rent was 750 a month with 2 bedroom and a living room split among 3 in an apartment full of mold and 20 year old carpet, now it is more like 1k+ a month in a college town.

Professors are allowed to spend only 35% of their time to teach, the rest of them are to do research to make money for the school. Those famous prof never do research, they go out to market research opportunities to the government, private industry, etc, and let the grad students do all the work.

They should use the GPS feature to shut off outgoing txt above 25 mph.

fwiw, my Boost Mobile $50/mo Unlimited Everything is great.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
They should use the GPS feature to shut off outgoing txt above 25 mph.

fwiw, my Boost Mobile $50/mo Unlimited Everything is great.

What if you are a passenger?

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-...mmit-on-texting

Quote:
...statement from Secretary LaHood:"If it were up to me, I would ban drivers from texting, but unfortunately, laws aren't always enough." That sounds a bit ominous to us -- and we're not half the bunch of freako separatist libertarians we used to be. What Mr. LaHood means by "laws aren't always enough" is clearly up for debate, but signal blockers and other gadgetry from automakers, cell carriers, and phone manufacturers themselves, would seem to be likely possibilities.

This is what happens when people behave irresponsibly. Responsible behavior will be forced on them by... (trying to avoid political content, but you know who).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
Your annoying so called friend with unlimited text would send people lots of text without knowing that it cost you 15-20c per text, and you have no way to decline the text without being charged.

I don't open it and delete it. I don't think I'm charged for this.

If you have verizon this is correct. Just delete and you will not be charged, if you open it, then they charge you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back