Texas

Appreciate all the help everyone.

Looking like Lufkin, TX (surrounding areas) is where we may end up. Wife got a job remotely with the option of on campus.

Any info on that part of Texas. Believe 115 miles from Houston.

Hope everyone is well.

why don't you look at Woodlands/Spring? it is beautiful here with lots of entertainment. Very kids and family friendly, great schools. We moved here almost 8yrs ago and absolutely love it.

Thank you sir...exactly what we are looking for. Have 2 kids 7 and 10. Appreciate your info and time.

That sounds pretty cheap! I can spend upwards of $40 just making a single trip on the 407 here.
I've been working remote since April 2020. We're supposed to return to the office in January. My cost in tolls was $200/month when I had to commute daily. I've lived in the DFW area since 1976 and traffic has become horrible. Not as bad as L.A. but give it a few more years. My GF lives in Frisco and I make regular trips there. Frisco, McKinney, and Allen are probably the most "California'd" places in this area. The Austin suburbs are even more so. Though there is no state income tax, the property tax rates are some of the highest in the country. With the rapid rise in property values I predict the taxes will eventually reach equilibrium with many other areas of the country. Still, as others have stated, there are a lot of conveniences in the area. Since I have no basis for comparison I still will bet that living here offers advantages over other metro areas. My area seems to be seeing a rapid rise in property crimes. I figure massive population growth doesn't mean you only get GOOD growth. Some percentage of the influx will ultimately be scumbags. I don't want to get political, but do your research about Texas politics. It can be objectionable to some.

I've been working remote since April 2020. We're supposed to return to the office in January. My cost in tolls was $200/month when I had to commute daily. I've lived in the DFW area since 1976 and traffic has become horrible. Not as bad as L.A. but give it a few more years. My GF lives in Frisco and I make regular trips there. Frisco, McKinney, and Allen are probably the most "California'd" places in this area. The Austin suburbs are even more so. Though there is no state income tax, the property tax rates are some of the highest in the country. With the rapid rise in property values I predict the taxes will eventually reach equilibrium with many other areas of the country. Still, as others have stated, there are a lot of conveniences in the area. Since I have no basis for comparison I still will bet that living here offers advantages over other metro areas. My area seems to be seeing a rapid rise in property crimes. I figure massive population growth doesn't mean you only get GOOD growth. Some percentage of the influx will ultimately be scumbags. I don't want to get political, but do your research about Texas politics. It can be objectionable to some.
I moved here in 1995, and it's hard not to notice that the 'crap' is moving north. Plano was "the" suburb to shoot for if Richardson was out of your price range. Now I'm seeing Plano get overrun with nasty apartments and the crime and crud is taking over, especially near the 75 corridor. Frisco has become the new Plano, while rich areas of Richardson are fighting the onslaught coming at them from both directions. West Plano is still ok, but east.....it's a write-off.

Traffic is worse by a factor of 10 or more since I moved here. Stacking 635 did little to relieve it. I ended up on the new portion by accident a few weeks ago, and it's apparent that nobody wants to pay to ride on it. I pretty much had it to myself. 35E was a mess in 1995, and remains a mess. They've reached a point now where any road they add will be a toll road. I'm looking at you, President George Bush Expressway, er, um, tollway. I avoid downtown entirely. Traffic on 75 south of Northpark Mall isn't worth any event I may want to attend south of that point.

Folks say that we've undergone a climate change, but I disagree. My move here from Wyoming was delayed a month because of a really bad hail storm that rolled through here in March 1995. I met people here that were still waiting for car repairs, and the dents were unreal. In spring of 2000, I was standing in the parking lot of my apartment complex looking up at the ominous clouds and lightening in Dallas the night the bank building in Fort Worth was destroyed by a tornado. We've been through countless more of them since then. The climate here leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm sure someone moving here from LA would go through some shock with the heat, humidity, and running from tornados and hail every spring and fall.

I can only imagine what your perspective must be having lived here since 1976. If I had it to do over with current knowledge, I'm not sure I would come.

I moved here in 1995, and it's hard not to notice that the 'crap' is moving north. Plano was "the" suburb to shoot for if Richardson was out of your price range. Now I'm seeing Plano get overrun with nasty apartments and the crime and crud is taking over, especially near the 75 corridor. Frisco has become the new Plano, while rich areas of Richardson are fighting the onslaught coming at them from both directions. West Plano is still ok, but east.....it's a write-off.

Traffic is worse by a factor of 10 or more since I moved here. Stacking 635 did little to relieve it. I ended up on the new portion by accident a few weeks ago, and it's apparent that nobody wants to pay to ride on it. I pretty much had it to myself. 35E was a mess in 1995, and remains a mess. They've reached a point now where any road they add will be a toll road. I'm looking at you, President George Bush Expressway, er, um, tollway. I avoid downtown entirely. Traffic on 75 south of Northpark Mall isn't worth any event I may want to attend south of that point.

Folks say that we've undergone a climate change, but I disagree. My move here from Wyoming was delayed a month because of a really bad hail storm that rolled through here in March 1995. I met people here that were still waiting for car repairs, and the dents were unreal. In spring of 2000, I was standing in the parking lot of my apartment complex looking up at the ominous clouds and lightening in Dallas the night the bank building in Fort Worth was destroyed by a tornado. We've been through countless more of them since then. The climate here leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm sure someone moving here from LA would go through some shock with the heat, humidity, and running from tornados and hail every spring and fall.

I can only imagine what your perspective must be having lived here since 1976. If I had it to do over with current knowledge, I'm not sure I would come.

Once they start building apartment complexes in any area, expect crime to increase.

Texas isn't in one of the zones that will experience the worst of climate change, except maybe the coastal areas. I was 11 in 1976 so I was simply along for the ride. My office is in Richardson so I feel ya, man. I got to experience commuting through that I35 expansion mess that took four years. It was twenty years late, though, did make a noticeable difference unless you're south of the Bush Tollway (named for George HW Bush, not W.). Making the transition from the Bush onto I35 and vice versa is the worst. It's the price of progress and the growth at all costs mentality that rules here.

why don't you look at Woodlands/Spring? it is beautiful here with lots of entertainment. Very kids and family friendly, great schools. We moved here almost 8yrs ago and absolutely love it.
and my favorite there 😷

and my favorite there 😷

Fogo de Chao is a chain of Brazilian steakhouses. There are several up here in the DFW area. There are two or three competitors in the area as well. Pricey, but fun. I have to be careful not to eat so much that I get "meat sick." That happened to me once and I do not want a repeat.

Back