Tesla tire tax... Ouch!

OEM Tesla tires have dense foam inside under the tread area.

1658703284458.jpg

OEM Tesla tires have dense foam inside under the tread area.

View attachment 109562
The foam is for noise reduction. I have read there is not much benefit, but I cannot say for sure.

This isn’t a Tesla tire tax, it’s a high performance, low profile, 19” OEM tire tax.

This is just your first time paying it.
@Astro14 , The GS was $1600 all in for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber; this ain't my 1st rodeo. Ha!
Unfortunately, "Go Fund Me" went over like a lead balloon in an earlier post.

It’s seems reasonable to me when wanting OEM. Heck my Harley touring bike I pay about the same cost for rear tire OTD.

Goes with the territory of the vehicle you buy and how much shopping one wants to do for the OEM, though no choice with the Harley have to go to the dealer.

I did find this after a 60 second search for yours. On my Chevy Traverse I went OEM too, ended up at Costco for OEM 255/55r20 Bridgestone for about $1000 OTD for 4
They do a complete job including rebuilding TPS

Here are your tires for $221 using the info you provided anyway.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Continental-ContiProContact-235-40R19-96-V-Tire/43079853

Last edited:
I plugged a tire for my SIL in June near the sidewall. Told her it is dangerous and you need to get a new tire. Told her to look at the PSI everyday which is displayed on the screen through a setting. It hasn't lost any air. Tire is a 215/45/18 Hankook.

IMG_2753.JPG

@Astro14 , The GS was $1600 all in for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber; this ain't my 1st rodeo. Ha!
Unfortunately, "Go Fund Me" went over like a lead balloon in an earlier post.
So, basically, the “Tesla Tax” is the same as the “Lexus Tax” which bears remarkable resemblance to the “Mercedes Tax”.

Tires have gone up recently. I’ve bought ten Michelin Pilot AS4 in the past ten months. Rear tires on the SL. Complete set of 4 for the V70R and S600.

And I’m shopping for a set of tires for the XC, which fortunately has higher profile rubber.

So, basically, the “Tesla Tax” is the same as the “Lexus Tax” which bears remarkable resemblance to the “Mercedes Tax”.
And there is the Los Gatos tax as well. I lived there most of my life. You pay extra for everything in Los Gatos. But it's worth it. Los Gatos is a very nice community. Even the high school smack dab in the middle of downtown is spectacular. It opened in 1908.

Scott

440px-Los_gatos_union_high_school.jpg

Last edited:
Is the Tesla AWD? I thought you weren’t supposed to replace just one tire on AWD vehicles due to the difference in tire circumference due to wear.

He has at least 8 years left on that one.

I’m at 11 years and 229K on my original Prius battery.
Sweetie's Prius is still in service, her grandson has it: 15 years on the battery and still going strong. Have no idea if a Prius battery is anything like a Tesla battery, but batteries can last quite a while.

Is the Tesla AWD? I thought you weren’t supposed to replace just one tire on AWD vehicles due to the difference in tire circumference due to wear.
No, the Mid Range RWD cost more than enough, thank you very much. The cars have come down in price since Dec 2018.

Tires have gone up recently. I’ve bought ten Michelin Pilot AS4 in the past ten months. Rear tires on the SL. Complete set of 4 for the V70R and S600.

And I’m shopping for a set of tires for the XC, which fortunately has higher profile rubber.
We both need a "Go Fund Me". But our BITOG buds ain't spreadin' no love...

Off topic, but I got a speeding ticket on my BICYCLE in Los Gatos. Loma Alta Ave. 34 in a 25. Caught on radar. On my way to work.

Scott
Criminal!
I live on Wedgewood, near the golf course. Which I have never been on...
I may never leave here.

Back