Tesla tire tax... Ouch!

Pretty much every tire store does a price match so they're only good for that and you don't have to wait for them to be shipped to you. Also Costco does a free 5 year road hazard when you buy them there and include lifetime rotation and balance. You get nothing from Tire rack and have to pay for the road hazard warranty.
But then you have to drive to the store and wait while they do the rotation. Less time if I do at home. Also if you can mount tires yourself, well you can save a buck there too.

As to road hazard, I am 50/50 on that. I really should keep a jar and throw $50 into that instead. At least 20 sets of tires with 3 flats and one out of round. That out of round, I wound up buying a new tire anyhow so as to have matched tires on the axle. I’m better off not taking and pocketing the money it seems.

And Contisilent technology, which has the noise absorbing foam inside the tires.

Two things:

If the noise silencing is important to you, then there are 8 tires to choose from, starting near $250.

Second, is the noise canceling technology a requirement for a replacement tire, or will the car function fine?

End of the day, the OP wants to call it a tax that his tires are more expensive. Reality is we all all make our choices on what we drive and how they are equipped. Example: I purposely bought my F150 with 18" wheels instead of the 20" wheels - tire replacement costs are lower. That being said, the particular flavor of tire I buy was over $250 a tire last year, but I accepted that as the cost of driving what I do...

Two things:

If the noise silencing is important to you, then there are 8 tires to choose from, starting near $250.

Second, is the noise canceling technology a requirement for a replacement tire, or will the car function fine?

End of the day, the OP wants to call it a tax that his tires are more expensive.
Reality is we all all make our choices on what we drive and how they are equipped. Example: I purposely bought my F150 with 18" wheels instead of the 20" wheels - tire replacement costs are lower. That being said, the particular flavor of tire I buy was over $250 a tire last year, but I accepted that as the cost of driving what I do...
I called it a tax as a joke. I have zero problem paying for the tire and am glad to get it done.
Was I surprised at the price? Yes, a little. In the big scheme of things, it's a dang tire that goes on a dang car. I could care less.

But I will say this... It is another data point in the discussions I have with prospective buyers.
All good.

I want to meet the idiot cop that gives a speeding ticket to someone on a bicycle. That's just stupid.
It was a residential street, downhill. I wouldn't want a car going 34 mph down my street. Same rules apply. As a hardcore, shaved leg cyclist I stop at stop signs and red lights. I at least make a 1/2 mph "slow down stop" at stop signs, even at empty intersections, and I always wait my turn, yielding to those on my right if other cars are there. And I never blow through a red even if no car is in sight. I refuse to ride with other cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road. I ride my bike like I drive my car. A lot of motorists hate cyclists just because. I don't want to give them another reason.

Scott

Last edited:
Off topic, but I got a speeding ticket on my BICYCLE in Los Gatos. Loma Alta Ave. 34 in a 25. Caught on radar. On my way to work.

Scott
You could claim the bicycle did not come equipped with a speedometer. Unless you added a cateye micro or something like that

High performance cars require high performance tires. High -performance tires are expensive. And most drivers are lucky to get 25,000 miles out of a set. And they often are different sizes on the front and rear so can't be rotated. $400 a tire may sound "stupid" compared to tires for a Corolla but that's pretty much what to expect for high performance tires.

Insurance is also higher, and if those high performance cars are ICE driven, gas consumption and oil changes will also be higher than your typical econobox.

This is just what you sign up for when you buy a high perfomance vehicle. I think most of us understand that. But some don't.

Supply and demand. Those are the OEM tires for your Tesla and no other cars seem to use them, so they're just not common. You can get Continental Pure Contacts for a LOT less as well as tires from other brands. I realize you were just replacing (1) tire so in that case, yeah, you're screwed.
He was screwed....in the tire.

High performance cars require high performance tires. High -performance tires are expensive. And most drivers are lucky to get 25,000 miles out of a set. And they often are different sizes on the front and rear so can't be rotated. $400 a tire may sound "stupid" compared to tires for a Corolla but that's pretty much what to expect for high performance tires.

Insurance is also higher, and if those high performance cars are ICE driven, gas consumption and oil changes will also be higher than your typical econobox.

This is just what you sign up for when you buy a high perfomance vehicle. I think most of us understand that. But some don't.
I remember 20 years ago, coworker had an M3, and I was flabbergasted that he'd pay $1k for a set of tires that would last 10k. Was simply outside of my world. [Still is!]

High performance cars require high performance tires. High -performance tires are expensive.
Seems to me the screw was expensive.
He was screwed....in the tire.
That's what Sue said, "We're screwed." Then we laughed...

In AA we call this stuff, "Luxury problems..." Better than jail all day long.
Bottom line; if replacing a tire is the biggest problem in my life I am living a pretty charmed life.

Last edited:
But then you have to drive to the store and wait while they do the rotation. Less time if I do at home. Also if you can mount tires yourself, well you can save a buck there too.

As to road hazard, I am 50/50 on that. I really should keep a jar and throw $50 into that instead. At least 20 sets of tires with 3 flats and one out of round. That out of round, I wound up buying a new tire anyhow so as to have matched tires on the axle. I’m better off not taking and pocketing the money it seems.
I can count on my single hand the number of people I know who can mount/balance a tire themselves. Actually I can do it without a hand, I know ZERO people who can mount and balance their own tire.

You're not paying any extra for the road hazard unlike other places and they only charge $20 for mounting/balancing a tire which includes the road hazard. You're not saving any money by mounting/balancing it yourself and doing your own road hazard insurance. Costco typically has lower prices than anywhere else once you factor in mounting and balancing and that especially includes tire rack.

As for the rotation, Costco is actually pretty good at keeping appointments, you can shop and it gets done while you're not even finished shopping.

I can count on my single hand the number of people I know who can mount/balance a tire themselves. Actually I can do it without a hand, I know ZERO people who can mount and balance their own tire.

You're not paying any extra for the road hazard unlike other places and they only charge $20 for mounting/balancing a tire which includes the road hazard. You're not saving any money by mounting/balancing it yourself and doing your own road hazard insurance. Costco typically has lower prices than anywhere else once you factor in mounting and balancing and that especially includes tire rack.

As for the rotation, Costco is actually pretty good at keeping appointments, you can shop and it gets done while you're not even finished shopping.
If they have what you want, Costco is a great place to buy tires.
I generally don't, because they don't align.
Wheel Works matches their price, but of course you gotta pay for warranty, etc.

Don't worry, you're not some weird outlier either. Mounting/balancing tires at home is not "normal" by any stretch of one's imagination.

If they have what you want, Costco is a great place to buy tires.
I generally don't, because they don't align.
Wheel Works matches their price, but of course you gotta pay for warranty, etc.
I go to other places to get an alignment. Goodyear does it for $179 or maybe more now for a 3 year alignment warranty and I end up getting one at least once a year or more depending on whether I hit a good pothole or not. There's a few other places like Firestone, Mavis etc that might also offer multiyear/lifetime alignment warranties.

And yes, usually the size you want isn't in stock and they take 3-5 days to order them so no good if you have a flat and need one right now. Not sure what they do for their road hazard if they don't have a replacement tire in stock, haven't had a flat yet from the tires I bought from them.

Don't worry, you're not some weird outlier either. Mounting/balancing tires at home is not "normal" by any stretch of one's imagination.
And I know an indy mechanic that works out of his home, he can't mount or balance a tire either, doesn't have that kind of equipment although he has lots of other equipment. Just not something he gets into. Even the small indy shops don't have the equipment.

I go to other places to get an alignment. Goodyear does it for $179 or maybe more now for a 3 year alignment warranty and I end up getting one at least once a year or more depending on whether I hit a good pothole or not. There's a few other places like Firestone, Mavis etc that might also offer multiyear/lifetime alignment warranties.

And yes, usually the size you want isn't in stock and they take 3-5 days to order them so no good if you have a flat and need one right now. Not sure what they do for their road hazard if they don't have a replacement tire in stock, haven't had a flat yet from the tires I bought from them.
Wheel Works (Firestone) offers a lifetime alignment warranty for about $179. Because I am a good customer, they discount this as well. Our TSX has had numerous alignments; it was money well spent.

I just prefer to take it to one place. I don't mind paying a little more; they take care of me.

Back