Tesla tire tax... Ouch!

I THINK the tires may be vehicle specific because the car is so heavy. 42 psi.

Nothing special about the tires. They are an XL (Extra Load) tire with a 96 load index. There are 56 tires available in this size and load index on Tire Rack today. The lowest priced one is $146 per tire. (Granted, that will not be a low rolling resistance tire.)

The only thing that makes them special is they are OEM on a Tesla (as some seem to think when you look at reviews of them).

Why does every thread involving an electric car involve the government and how evs destroy the planet? Oh look my electric car has bad wiper blade! Well if the government didn’t mandate electric cars you wouldn’t need a wiper blade crap.
Dunno about the government, but that is one expensive screw in my tire! What's a poor boy to do?

What's a poor boy to do?
Recent thread mentioned that someone bought a new car as their 4Runner needed a new battery. Once you get the first scratch (or nail), it's just no longer new and pristine. Now it's not factory original either, and you can't advertise it as having "all original miles" when you go to sell it.

Glad you're fixed up and no harm was done, other than to your wallet a bit.

In true BITOG fashion, one of my considerations before I even buy a vehicle is the cost of replacement tires for it. I like as much sidewall as possible as well. I don't have the best of luck in terms of tire loss due to punctures, etc.
My car came with 225/65-17. I'm considering when I eventually need replacements going to 215/70-17 just to get a bit more sidewall and in theory a bit better ride.

Reactions: JTK
Nothing special about the tires. They are an XL (Extra Load) tire with a 96 load index. There are 56 tires available in this size and load index on Tire Rack today. The lowest priced one is $146 per tire. (Granted, that will not be a low rolling resistance tire.)

The only thing that makes them special is they are OEM on a Tesla (as some seem to think when you look at reviews of them).
If I were replacing all 4, I would have considered something else. At least done a little research... Conti is good rubber.

Why does every thread involving an electric car involve the government and how evs destroy the planet? Oh look my electric car has bad wiper blade! Well if the government didn’t mandate electric cars you wouldn’t need a wiper blade crap.
You didn't understand my comment. I have no problem with electric cars.

Firestone lists plenty of tires in the size 235/40-19 for your 2018 Tesla Model 3, even if you have to wait a few days to ship to the store.

Can you fit a full-size spare in that Tesla? :unsure:
When we went on that recent 4,100 Km trek I borrowed a friend's Tesla winter tire. It fits in the trunk but does take up a lot of space. I was going to be a long way from anywhere a lot of the time and didn't fancy waiting a couple of days for a new tire if I had a blowout or an unrepairable flat.

I plan to buy one of those narrow but full diameter, high speed (81 MPH) spares for the next time.

Less than half of Honda wanted for the Michelin PAX tires that only lasted 20K before they were almost slicks, $750 a tire and wheel exchange 3K a set all plus tax. Michelin screwed customers and dealers alike by not delivering the machines to change them. That is the sort of company Michelin is, I will never buy anything from them at any price.

Expensive. Maybe more than I paid for the Pilot Sport 4S on our GS350 F Sport. Now those are great tires!
But it is what it is. These cars are expensive.
Tire Rack has 53 tires in your size that are under $364/ea

Edit: including the tire you bought, for $301.

Last edited:
Engine will fall out 1st. Plus it is only a matter of time since she burns to the ground anyways. so there's that.
Engine cannot fall out cuz it doesn't have one.
You guys failed the test. You're fired.
The car uses a motor, not an engine. I was expecting someone to properly slam me on this one...
Brush up on your Tesla love (or hate). All good....

Back