Tesla tire tax... Ouch!

Arguably most don't do oil changes at home either. I'll give you that most don't do tires at home, but the point was, why shouldn't I? If I wanted to save money, buy a car with steel rims and do the work myself. It's not rocket science. Balancing is, tire dismount/mount isn't.

[Friend of mine is pestering me to try out balancing beads. I've not read good things about that but am halfway tempted to try on a winter set, just in case he's right. But out of all the people I know (which isn't saying much) he and I are the only ones that would tackle tires (never met eljefino though).]

Costco is out, they aren't close to me, not driving down to Nashua. BJ's is up in Tilton and not sure about going there (doesn't list tires in the Manchester location). I would have to drive 20 miles out of my way during my commute (or an hour from home if not). And then I won't get the tires I want (where's General on the list? not about to buy Michelin's--and I didn't even see Michelin listed in my size).

If I mount the tires myself, skip any road hazard, and find a shop that can balance for $10-20... not a bad price, and I don't have to drive to Costco. Do my rotations at home when I feel like it, don't have to make a trip for that.

OE (not OEM) (4) Michelin Primacy MXM4 in 245/45-19 for my Model S was under $1000 for 4 out the door several years ago at Discount Tire. Today I see they are listed at $298 each.

I could get the base OE tire, Goodyear Eagle Touring, for half that.

I can count on my single hand the number of people I know who can mount/balance a tire themselves. Actually I can do it without a hand, I know ZERO people who can mount and balance their own tire.

Ain't hard with a machine to hold the wheel. Wider car tires are easier than skinny motorcycle tires. The wider tire flexes easier in the direction needed.

02C1C081-483D-40A2-A980-68DC3F2EBA71_1_105_c.jpeg

Same for balancing. Heavy side rotates down.
D4A0CE07-70FF-4FAE-A2E2-8BB6BC18F9BC_1_105_c.jpeg

Arguably most don't do oil changes at home either. I'll give you that most don't do tires at home, but the point was, why shouldn't I? If I wanted to save money, buy a car with steel rims and do the work myself. It's not rocket science. Balancing is, tire dismount/mount isn't.
Modern radial motorcycle tires do not all last as long as 8,000 miles and charge $50 to $100 each in labor to mount and balance at a dealer. One chain store will mount the tire they sell on your bring-it-in rim for $25 but their prices are much higher than most mail order.

Going through 4 tires/year is good motivation to buy the tools and learn to do it yourself. And good for free beer and pizza from friends who need tires mounted.

We already have to pay the "Toyota tax". I just found out about the "Tesla tire tax".
We picked up a screw near the sidewall of our 2018 Model 3 Mid Range. 10K miles on the clock.
I had to air up the tire to fit the jack underneath. @The Critic got me some Tesla style hockey pucks to jack the car. Man it is heavy!

Anyways, Continental ProContact RX 235/40/R19... List $364.
Wheel Works (Firestone) is pretty good to me; they gave me a little over 10% off.
$370 out the door, including the governor's tax.
Ouch!
View attachment 109544
$370/tire for a 400ish hp car? I've paid more on less.

Back