Tesla police car battery dies mid pursuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh yeah I think I do...

You think/believe you are so much smarter than everyone else... Because you believe in... Fill in that blank...

If the above is incorrect... which would be ok by me..

Change your approach in how you are wording things...

Otherwise it explains your tone with A Harmon...

Again... I have no problem with vehicles like that... I believe they can be utilized by a good number of people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I do fully support continued research into battery technology and charging systems.

And there is nothing wrong with people not agreeing... in general.

Again... You cannot overcome certain ways things work... Batteries are limited in a number of ways. And charging very, very fast will likely never be practical. Who knows... Maybe an amazing miracle will happen to change all of that...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh yeah I think I do...

You think/believe you are so much smarter than everyone else... Because you believe in... Fill in that blank...

If the above is incorrect... which would be ok by me..

Change your approach in how you are wording things...

Otherwise it explains your tone with A Harmon...

Again... I have no problem with vehicles like that... I believe they can be utilized by a good number of people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I do fully support continued research into battery technology and charging systems.

And there is nothing wrong with people not agreeing... in general.

Again... You cannot overcome certain ways things work... Batteries are limited in a number of ways. And charging very, very fast will likely never be practical. Who knows... Maybe an amazing miracle will happen to change all of that...

Mr. Harmon called me willfully blind.
You tell me what I want to hear and how I think. You said I think I am smarter than everyone else.

You are both wrong.

Well.. there are limitations with electrical vehicles... Mainly the battery part... And there is no way around it. Because there are issues with them on a number of levels. And you do not want to even think of it or be realistic about it...

Look.. there are CERTAINLY issues with a regular motor. Zero doubt. A blown head gasket on a chase will stop that vehicle in short order. Or a alternator failing... Plus many more issues could sideline a regular motor transmission set up.

We have not been able to overcome charging rates and the issues related with that... Over heating a battery is not good for long term battery well being... The weight of a battery gets ridiculous if one goes up in sizes of a vehicle. Which you know... Not all that many regular sedan cars being purchased in these past years.... The materials to make your lovely batteries are not easily found and are costly to dig up and refine into use for a large battery.

There are limits to your battery car... And there are no suitable ways to utilize one if one actually travels longer distances which we have in this country.

There are places and people who can use them all the time... Which is certainly true. For those people and their hamster style living circumstance it does make total sense. Nothing wrong with that.

This nation is vast is scope and size... I learned that by looking at the maps when I was 5 years old. Interstate 80 from the GW bridge and interstate 95 to SF is a great example of that. Your battery powered vehicles are not the answer for we everyone and every circumstance across this vast nation. And you cannot disprove that fact otherwise.

Until batteries become much lighter, charge just as fast as filling a gasoline tank, and have the same or better energy wattage output as gasoline powered vehicles... Then your battery powered vehicles are just going to be a local vehicle use only. Again... That is not a bad thing at all.

We all need to be realistic at times. And see the field and what's out there and what can be done or needs to be done or find another way...

Again...

I think what you are doing... Is actually pretty cool. And I think that is great you have the thought to do things the way you are doing them.

There is a lot to be said for that. A lot good I might add.

One might have just as easily run a gas car out of fuel, as others have noted.
For many uses, an EV can make perfect sense. The main rap I have on Teslas offered to date is cost, although some of that may be unavoidable due to the actual cost of the batteries, although that is offset by the savings involved in not building a complicated engine and transmission.
For most daily driver uses, an EV would work just fine and most owners will have other cars to use for those circumstances where an EV just won't cut it.
OTOH, there is a nationwide network of charging stations and I do see Teslas on the interstates with out of state plates, so they can be and are used for traveling, although maybe not as easily as a gas car.
If the only car one owns is an EV, he could always rent a car for those once or twice a year road trips where the EV would be an inconvenience.
My point is that whether or not an EV would work for most drivers is more a matter of perception than fact.
I could envision an EV with decent range working just fine on the daily commutes of my wife and I as well as our weekend jaunts. I can think of exactly two road trips over the past year for which we'd have either to charge an EV at some point or rent a gas car if the EV were all we had.
Whether we'd save any money on a full cost basis is another matter as is the real environmental impact.

I agree police chases are ridiculous. I would think if a cop is about to run out of gas or battery they would radio in for another unit, but then again usually they have 8 other units following, who knows maybe they all were about to run out of gas.

For in town work EV's make a ton of sense -

According to ford an ICE vehicle an hour of idling equals 33 miles.

Lets say an 8 hour shift is half driving half idling thats 132 miles a day or 924 miles a week 48K a year or 240K in 5 year of maintenance - of idling.

pick your hours - idling contributes to substantive cumulative maintenance.

The EV has none of this reciprocating wear.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back