Tesla police car battery dies mid pursuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who was a sheriff cadet for 3 years, current charging times aren't fast enough nor are there enough chargers. Yes if the officer had been sitting somewhere with a charger and was plugged in sure. That's not always practical. Tesla made a huge deal about their cars being "a great solution " for law enforcement some time back. Chases are few and far between but the vehicle has to be able to be used in all types of situations.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
How can a municipality afford Tesla patrol cars?

The tax payers pockets are bottomless don't you know.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
As someone who was a sheriff cadet for 3 years, current charging times aren't fast enough nor are there enough chargers. Yes if the officer had been sitting somewhere with a charger and was plugged in sure. That's not always practical. Tesla made a huge deal about their cars being "a great solution " for law enforcement some time back. Chases are few and far between but the vehicle has to be able to be used in all types of situations.

What situation would a Tesla Model S not be appropriate vs say, a Crown Vic?
As for charging, you charge when not in use. How far does a car go on a given shift?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by 97prizm

What situation would a Tesla Model S not be appropriate vs say, a Crown Vic?
As for charging, you charge when not in use. How far does a car go on a given shift?

A gasoline powered vehicle has a well established infrastructure for refueling and maintenance.

Police cars don't sit as far as I know in bigger cities. That's why they get swapped out early on. One shift leaves, the next shift hops in. For electric vehicles to charge you would need extra ones available to take during that time this increasing costs.

Small Texas town here … they take units home off shift … lots of units
They drive gas hogs and buy fuel writing tickets for 55 in a 50 … stuff like that
So they often sit tucked away … and in a couple blocks the donor is stopped.
Have a fancy new station with covered parking.

See an opportunity for EV?

Originally Posted by PimTac

A gasoline powered vehicle has a well established infrastructure for refueling and maintenance.

Police cars don't sit as far as I know in bigger cities. That's why they get swapped out early on. One shift leaves, the next shift hops in. For electric vehicles to charge you would need extra ones available to take during that time this increasing costs.

Police stations have electricity. It is just about everywhere. 20 minutes on a Supercharger nets you 50% charge; 40 minutes gets you 80%. Coffee anyone?
You would not have to charge every shift. Maintenance is virtually nil on a Tesla.

Having said this, I doubt and Police departments are ready to switch to EVs. But in some cases it makes sense.
Maintenance center locations are growing, but this is a valid complaint. Even here people complain about getting certain things fixed, especially body work.

Fremont bought the Tesla as a way to generate interest and improved communication with the public, at least part way.
PR and unity with the biggest employer in Fremont after Lam Research (where I used to work).

I see many misconceptions about EVs.
Range anxiety is real; but after using an EV for a short time you realize it really is doable. Different to be sure. But you learn.
Of course there are those who have no desire for something new; clearly EVs are not for everyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Chases are stupid and a sign of bad policing.

yeah....blame the police for bad behavior. Great job!!

There are safe and smart ways of policing, and car chases are not it. Hollywood movies should not be the template of effective police work but unfortunately they are.

If you read the article, the suspects were apprehended later without a Chase.

Police stations have electricity. It is just about everywhere. 20 minutes on a Supercharger nets you 50% charge; 40 minutes gets you 80%. Coffee anyone?
You would not have to charge every shift. Maintenance is virtually nil on a Tesla.

So then that's one patrol off the streets until the car finishes charging. Who's going to patrol the streets while the shift changes over then?

Originally Posted by Pew

So then that's one patrol off the streets until the car finishes charging. Who's going to patrol the streets while the shift changes over then?

Please. You think all the patrol cars are on the streets 24 by 7?

In a major city, patrol cars are on the streets 24/7/365 unless they need maintenance. One shift gets out of the car, another shift gets in. Some cars like supervisors and such might not have the same workload.

In smaller towns you may see cars not being used during certain times of the day. It all depends on demand.

In a major city, patrol cars are on the streets 24/7/365 unless they need maintenance. One shift gets out of the car, another shift gets in. Some cars like supervisors and such might not have the same workload.

In smaller towns you may see cars not being used during certain times of the day. It all depends on demand.

I am not sure that's true.
Every Police station I go by has many parked patrol cars.
Some departments let the officers take the cars home.

It blows me away how willfully blind some people are to the inadequacies of electric cars.

It takes 5 minutes to fully refuel a gasoline car to its full range capability. Is 5 minutes less than 20 minutes? Is 5 minutes less than 40 minutes?

And does refueling a gasoline car in 5 minutes damage the gas tank? Fast charging of EV batteries causes degradation of battery capacity.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

It blows me away how willfully blind some people are to the inadequacies of electric cars.

It takes 5 minutes to fully refuel a gasoline car to its full range capability. Is 5 minutes less than 20 minutes? Is 5 minutes less than 40 minutes?

And does refueling a gasoline car in 5 minutes damage the gas tank? Fast charging of EV batteries causes degradation of battery capacity.

Yeah, and I charge overnight at home for free (solar).
Charge at work for a subsidized rate.
Never go to a gas station.
You do not understand EVs. They are different.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
How can a municipality afford Tesla patrol cars?

The tax payers pockets are bottomless don't you know.

their estimated costs over 5 years: (Cost of vehicle, fuel, and maintenance)
Tesla:
$69,698.5‬0
Ford Explorer PPV:
â€$88,374‬.00
a savings of $18,675.5‬0 (over 5 years)

Source:
https://www.fremontpolice.org/DocumentCenter/View/426

12345.jpg

Last edited:

Blows me away how closed minded people are anything new. It's not perfect yet but seems to improve. No one says you can't buy a gas or electric or hybrid car.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Blows me away how closed minded people are anything new. It's not perfect yet but seems to improve. No one says you can't buy a gas or electric or hybrid car.

Electric cars are not new. They were invented actually before the gasoline car. They were concurrent to gasoline and steam cars in the early 20th century, but failed in the market once the gasoline engine self-starter was invented. Limited range was what killed electric cars back then, and ever since, electric car advocates have been saying "just wait 10 years, and we'll have that battery breakthrough that will make everybody forget gasoline cars." I've been listening to that for 40 years, and it hasn't happened yet. Tesla only has whatever success they've had because activist owners refuse to acknowledge the cars deficiencies, and because Tesla gets carbon credits from other manufacturers who don't build electric cars.

Last edited:

Yeah, and I charge overnight at home for free (solar).
Charge at work for a subsidized rate.
Never go to a gas station.
You do not understand EVs. They are different.

No you don't understand... 5 minutes is less than 40... And charging a battery fast... Will not help it at all... You cannot overcome how things work within a battery. Weight... Heat generation... Battery degradation from fast charging... Losing capacity from fast charging... Cost of said batteries... Plus mining of materials to make those batteries.. No matter how many rainbows you chase...

Nothing wrong with electrical vehicles... For those who do not go hardly anywhere... Like in a small 50-125 mile radius. And to be fair... A fair amount of people certainly fit that circumstance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero

No you don't understand... 5 minutes is less than 40... And charging a battery fast... Will not help it at all... You cannot overcome how things work within a battery. Weight... Heat generation... Battery degradation from fast charging... Losing capacity from fast charging... Cost of said batteries... Plus mining of materials to make those batteries.. No matter how many rainbows you chase...

Nothing wrong with electrical vehicles... For those who do not go hardly anywhere... Like in a small 50-125 mile radius. And to be fair... A fair amount of people certainly fit that circumstance.

Our Tesla Model 3 range is 270 miles.
I charge at home in the garage.
What don't I understand?

Ahh hey man.....

People... Actually drive a lot farther than than that.... On trips...
shocked2.gif

Like I drove to SC... Isle of Palm... 455 miles... One way.. in 8 hrs..

Or I drove to the Blue Ridge mts and back in one day... 420 miles.... Heck I could drive 570 miles non-stop...

Not everyone drives, lives, or thinks like you...

I sure don't.

And that is ok. Because... I have no problem with you doing whatever you are doing...

In fact I support your way of doing what you are doing. And in fact I know there are people in my area who certainly can do exactly what you are doing.

What you don't want to hear is...

No free lunch... Batteries are very costly... They are heavy.... The weight of a battery.... Fast charging in not a great idea because you lose capacity and create heat that way. You can only move so many electrons so quickly..... They use resources in order to find the materials needed to make them.. and those materials elements are not easy to get to...

The energy density is just not in favor of batteries vs gasoline. No where' close in fact..And the likelihood of that changing is exceptionally unlikely...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh hey man.....

People... Actually drive a lot farther than than that.... On trips...
shocked2.gif

Like I drove to SC... Isle of Palm... 455 miles... One way.. in 8 hrs..

Or I drove to the Blue Ridge mts and back in one day... 420 miles.... Heck I could drive 570 miles non-stop...

Not everyone drives, lives, or thinks like you...

I sure don't.

And that is ok. Because... I have no problem with you doing whatever you are doing...

In fact I support your way of doing what you are doing. And in fact I know there are people in my area who certainly can do exactly what you are doing.

What you don't want to hear is...

No free lunch... Batteries are very costly... They are heavy.... The weight of a battery.... Fast charging in not a great idea because you lose capacity and create heat that way. You can only move so many electrons so quickly..... They use resources in order to find the materials needed to make them.. and those materials elements are not easy to get to...

The energy density is just not in favor of batteries vs gasoline. No where' close in fact..And the likelihood of that changing is exceptionally unlikely...

If I wanna go further I can take our 2018 RX450h, our 2013 GS350 F Sport, my trusty 2001 Tundra, or the bullet proof 2006 TSX.
Or I can take the Tesla and fly down the commuter lane in a really fun to drive car. Lotsa places to charge in CA.
Or my Oldsey or 1968 Corvette Roadster 427.
You have no idea how I think. You have no idea what I want to hear.

If EVs were so bad, why is Tesla selling close to 100,000 cars per quarter, and growing.
Europe coming on, China Gigafactory. Wait until the Model Y comes out, the pickup and big rig...
Why is every major manufacturer investing millions to develop and release EVs?
Heard about the gorgeous Taycan?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back