Tesla police car battery dies mid pursuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder if this has ever happened to a gas powered cruiser. I mean, and no disrespect to any officer, but is it possible that anyone could forget to head out with a full tank / charge? Edit: or not think about it after a long shift, or otherwise find themselves low after several hours and suddenly in need of a full tank / charge?

Low charge, or heck any sort of mechanical fault. Flat tire, engine starts to miss, whatever. I'm guessing few pursuits get called off in general, and that is part of the reason for frequent fleet changeover, but it's bound to happen.

Personally, since this could happen just as easily for a gas powered cruiser, I'm going to file this as non-news.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
How can a municipality afford Tesla patrol cars?

Donation or sold with a heavy discount. It's a PR move by Tesla.

Originally Posted by supton
I have to wonder if this has ever happened to a gas powered cruiser. I mean, and no disrespect to any officer, but is it possible that anyone could forget to head out with a full tank / charge? Edit: or not think about it after a long shift, or otherwise find themselves low after several hours and suddenly in need of a full tank / charge?

Low charge, or heck any sort of mechanical fault. Flat tire, engine starts to miss, whatever. I'm guessing few pursuits get called off in general, and that is part of the reason for frequent fleet changeover, but it's bound to happen.

Personally, since this could happen just as easily for a gas powered cruiser, I'm going to file this as non-news.

Previous shift is supposed to top it off end of shift if activity and/or dispatched runs allow time for re-fuel. That's on a motor pool line car. Take home's are the assigned Officer's discretion on re-fueling.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Linky here
Thoughts?

Would it be any different if the officer forgot to fill up gas in his combustion engine Charger and ran out of fuel in the middle of pursuit? Why is this even on the news?

Pointless thread. Some folks here just hate Tesla and will use any opportunity to rag on them.

Yeah, it helps to charge 'em up.
Fremont is where they are built, in the old GM/NUMMI plant.
The area loves Tesla due to jobs, tax base, etc.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Pointless thread. Some folks here just hate Tesla and will use any opportunity to rag on them.

There is a 2019 movie where a Nissan Leaf goes STOP, after a supposedly all night chase through the desert....

I think they did it because the car was cheap enough.

Check out what police departments pay for fuel and gasoline engine and transmission repairs.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123

Check out what police departments pay for fuel and gasoline engine and transmission repairs.

Ford made the latest Explorer in a hybrid version for the cops - with all the idling a cop car sees it only makes sense. But it does appear the new Ford RWD hybrid system has nothing in common with the Toyota-based system used in the Fusion/C-Max/Escape Hybrids.

Pursuit called off … got him later. Only question I have is how many are worth it. We had a major section of freeway shut down after a chase ended badly … I saw the debris field …
Nothing in the news about it …

This could be part of a field testing program.

I remember when air bags first came out in the early 80s. The best way to collect data on air bag deployment was to put cars in the hands of law enforcement. My police friend from out of town pointed out that Dearborn police got to drive Lincoln Town Cars.

Quoting the spokesperson in the article: "This unfortunately happens from time to time even in our vehicles that run on gas, if they aren't re-fueled at the end of a shift." So yeah, no big. Happens all the time.

I think it's probably amusing to people because it reminds them of being a child, and owning some kind of battery-powered toy car that was ALWAYS low on batteries. Definitely triggered that memory for me, anyway.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Chases are stupid and a sign of bad policing.

World Championship level quote of the day here....

How about this ???

People are stupid... And run from the law... Creating these circumstances.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Pursuit called off … got him later. Only question I have is how many are worth it. We had a major section of freeway shut down after a chase ended badly … I saw the debris field …
Nothing in the news about it …

Legitimate question 4wd ..

One thing of note.... Many many times... A simple vehicle or driving infraction leads to something far bigger. I saw on that Live PD show where a police officer at a gas station noticed a tail light out on a vehicle at the gas pumps.. Officer goes over there and one things leads to another... Those guys had a lot and I mean a LOT of drugs in that car. Again... Simple infractions can be a way to find other far bigger things. Ohh and the Oklahoma City bomber was pulled over for a very minor infraction... Little did the office know what Tim had just done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back