Another Aussie Tesla battery blaze

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Tesla battery on fire at Bouldercombe energy storage site, Genex confirms - ABC News

Witnesses have reported loud bangs, "multicoloured" flames and a smell of burning plastic as a Tesla battery burns at one of Queensland’s first large-scale battery storage sites after catching fire last night.

Tesla lithium battery fire hits ‘landmark’ Queensland energy project, sparking political debate | Queensland | The Guardian

Important to note, these are the newer MegaPack 2.0 batteries that use lithium iron phosphate cells, which was supposed to reduce the risk of this happening.

This battery project was energized at the end of June, and was supposed to enter commercial operation by the end of next month.

The stupidity of avoiding Nuclear Power. Sometimes I truly believe much of the human race can no longer reason and think independently.
To be fair, we’ve been extraordinarily stupid about putting them directly on top of active fault zones near population centers.

Australia is one of the few tectonically quiescent places with a low water table and ample buffer area where nuclear makes good sense.

The stupidity of avoiding Nuclear Power. Sometimes I truly believe much of the human race can no longer reason and think independently.
The human race never could, as a general rule, reason and think properly. One need only look at the disasters of the 20th century for examples of poor thinking.

It is well known that only about 1% of us (and I don't include myself here) are capable of true scientific reasoning and clear headed thinking. Fostering real innovation of any sort. Of those 1% only a tiny fraction of them, actually do.

To be fair, we’ve been extraordinarily stupid about putting them directly on top of active fault zones near population centers.

Australia is one of the few tectonically quiescent places with a low water table and ample buffer area where nuclear makes good sense.
And in known and marked tsunami zones. Aside from the tsunami threat putting them near an active fault doesn't seem to be a big problem other than the reactors scraming every time the ground shakes a little.

The human race never could, as a general rule, reason and think properly. One need only look at the disasters of the 20th century for examples of poor thinking.

It is well known that only about 1% of us (and I don't include myself here) are capable of true scientific reasoning and clear headed thinking. Fostering real innovation of any sort. Of those 1% only a tiny fraction of them, actually do.

While I agree with your overall premise here… Amazing that Albert Einstein could not even manage a checkbook… So much for clear headed thinking in some aspects of his life. He had to have good people help him with everyday routine things like that.

I took care of a very old man who actually had formed satellite companies in the very late 1960s into the early 1970s. He did a whole lot more that that… However I cannot say much more than that. I will state he likely was one of the 250 most intelligent people in the United States in the 20th century. That’s not hyperbole here in my opinion. What an incredible man he was… Wow.

Energy density… We have people ramming foolishness down everyone’s throats with no concept or concern for the results of their lack of understanding certain key true scientific concepts.

This has happened before in the 20th century. Take a thriving agricultural region and try to mandate a totally idealistic, unrealistic and irrational new economic philosophy on it. Millions died … Man made circumstance there.

Last edited:
Not sure an avoidance as much a pilot of alternative to it. A great grid offers a variety of sources and backups or redundancies to others when events happen inevitably.

Not sure an avoidance as much a pilot of alternative to it. A great grid offers a variety of sources and backups or redundancies to others when events happen inevitably.
We just have to look at the number of new Nuclear Plants being built in our growing nation of old plants.

Perfect example is the highest populated state in the USA. California no Nuclear Plants left. The one that is currently running is going to be shut down in future years. CA tried and is trying to back track on shutting it down.
YEARS ago they were ask by the NRC if they are going to apply for an extension to keep it open. They said no, they are shutting it down and not going to apply. Well, fast forward a couple years and now CA has back petaled and asking permission for that extension and have the extension expedited, meaning the application process reduced because they are out of time.

The NRC told them NO. They will not grant an extension until all criteria is met for that extension. Meaning there is no process to shorten the requirements for an extension and there will not be one. So last I knew CA is scrambling.

Note: This is an overview from around late last year. I have not followed the story.

Oops, its been approved. US Taxpayers gave CA 1.1 billion dollars of the cost to keep it open who is turn is giving it to PSE&G
ca nuclear plant extension

A great (and affordable) grid uses the best technologies for a given geography and where the sources compliment each other. That doesn't necessarily mean high levels of diversity.

High levels of geographic correlation (wind) can be very problematic to manage and backup for example.

High levels of seasonal correlation (solar) can be problematic at northern latitudes during the winter months.

Sensitivity to seasonal phenomena like draught can cause significant reductions in available capacity (hydro) that forces reliance on imports or other firm sources.

Draught can also impact thermal plants that use those same water bodies as their heat sinks.

Where has that been problematic, showcasing this apparent stupidity? Like any structure, a nuke can be hardened against seismic events, like the ones in Japan have been, due to the glut of seismic activity there. The problem was not the quake at Fukushima Daiichi, it was the tsunami.

Back