Tesla missed delivery goals for Q2 - a pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla has missed its delivery goals for the second quarter in a row.
http://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/12097382/tesla-shipment-delays-second-quarter

Just ensuring we have a balanced posting for Tesla around here..... I'm sure a certain poster will come along and try to paint this a rosy picture....

Quote:
In May, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said despite missing his goal of delivering 16,000 vehicles during the first quarter, he expected the company to be able to produce 20,000 cars and ship 17,000 of them in the second quarter. But Tesla missed that goal, producing 18,345 cars and shipping 14,370 during the period.

Quote:
As of now, the company has shipped a total of 29,190 vehicles in 2016 with 5,150 cars in transit. So at the beginning of the third quarter, Tesla is expected to have shipped 34,340 cars. That means the company has to deliver 45,660 more cars to meet the low end of its shipment goal for the year.

Quote:
In spite of remaining confident, Musk conceded that Tesla has to rethink the production planning for its first-ever mass-market car.

This continues to show a pattern of Tesla over promising and under delivering.

Another article on the subject:

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/07/06/tesla-cant-keep-its-little-promises-how-can-it-kee.aspx

Quote:
Thus, it's quite unlikely that the first Model 3 will be ready for delivery by the end of 2017.

Manufacturing a vehicle is much more difficult than many think. Of all car companies I think Toyota is the master of manufacturing, they can expand their production lines without a hitch while still retaining high quality.

I expected my model 3 will not be in my hand until late 2018 or mid 2019. I am in California so I will have my car earlier than people in the East Coast and oversea. People oversea may not be able to see their model 3 until 2020 or later even they did deposit $1k on the day it was unveiled last March.

Not being able to meet demand is a lot better problem to have than inventory that won't sell. Doesn't everyone buying a Tesla understand they getting in on the ground floor and to expect some delays

But the investor expects the company to meet their plan of delivery a number of vehicles a quarter or a year.

If Tesla couldn't meet the projected delivery of 80-90k vehicles this year, how do they meet their own estimate of 200k next year then 500k in 2018 ?

Elon Musk should concentrate on Tesla growth from 50k last year to whatever he planned for the next few years, but he spent a lot of time on planning acquire Solar City.

My son picked up his Model S on 7/6. He ordered it about 4 weeks ago.

The freakin car is nice!

I'm jealous.

Edit: Just checked - order placed 6/11 - delivered 7/6.

Last edited:
Model S is nice but it's a little too much coins for me, also it is a little too big. Model 3 is somewhat smaller and much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Model S is nice but it's a little too much coins for me, also it is a little too big. Model 3 is somewhat smaller and much cheaper.

That's how I feel too, darn thing is 196" long - but it fits nicely in his garage and he's real happy with it. He's looking forward to the $10k in fed/state tax credits so that takes some of the sting out of how much he spent for the thing.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
But the investor expects the company to meet their plan of delivery a number of vehicles a quarter or a year.

If Tesla couldn't meet the projected delivery of 80-90k vehicles this year, how do they meet their own estimate of 200k next year then 500k in 2018 ?

Elon Musk should concentrate on Tesla growth from 50k last year to whatever he planned for the next few years, but he spent a lot of time on planning acquire Solar City.

Yes, Elon should do the investor a favor and be much more serious about reaching the stated targets and giving more realistic targets. Producing a car is very complex business and as the mistakes build up it will hurt them. It is expected that a new company will have difficulty to manufacturer. However, Elon seems to fail to recognize that when he gives the targets to the investment community. It's hard to take him serious when they say they will be producing 500k or 1m cars/year when they can barely figure out how to make 100k.

Yeah, but this ain't Tucker... At least they are pushing them out as best they can
smile.gif

Have pre-orders or sales faltered?

These cars basically don't have any competition. They can miss dead lines and get away with it.

You can't go down the street and buy one similar....anywhere.....yet.

Originally Posted By: CKN
These cars basically don't have any competition. They can miss dead lines and get away with it.

You can't go down the street and buy one similar....anywhere.....yet.

There are some serious problems with missing projected volumes. One of the problem is revenue shortfall. You can't keep loosing money quarter after quarter, year after year ... Investors will bail you they don't see any return for their investments.

Some of the model 3 depositors may bail if they think they will not have their cars in 2-3 years. Nobody wants to wait 5-6 years for any car.

The real questions that need to be asked is WHY is Tesla missing it's delivery expectations?

Are the orders coming in lower than expectations?
Are there not enough people working at the factory to assemble parts?
Is one or more critical suppliers unable to build a sufficient number of parts to meet the consumer demand?
Are the parts not making it to the factory in a sufficient time frame to meet production timelines?
Are vehicles being built, and then rejected due to Quality checks after build completion?

Each one of these different problems has a different solution.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back