Terms & Definitions (help compile them here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of this thread, Mostly because I have no clue what half of you guys are talking about. I would like your help in create a master lexicon here for everyone to use.

I would like for you to list terms and there definitions (or give defs for terms posted without them)

Hopefully with just a little bit of effort everyone who is new to this site can have a much better idea what is going on much more quickly.

I would also like for this to be updated on a regular basis to keep it fresh.

After we get a fairly large list completed we can make a new post or a guide or something and put it into an easier to read format then this post!

Here are some terms I personally would love a well-thought out definition/explanation for.

Oil Group'ings (I,II,III,IV etc) What are they, why are they important?

PAO:

Esters:

Moly:

Analysis (what it is, and what its used for)

TBN:

Shearing down:

Understanding Oil weights and how they apply:

Oxidation: (spell?)

Blow-By:

Detergents:

man, were just getting started. I've been here for a while and still would like to know more about some of these things, lets make this list kick-arse!
cheers.gif

rolleyes.gif

here I thought I was going to be all contribut'in n'stuff...

thanks pablo!

too bad the time limit wont let me delete it.

actually several of my terms werent listed in the glossary. And even if some of the terms had definitions. It doesnt doesnt explain how it is relevant and how it applies. (example. TBN, there is a definition. But how do we apply what we know about TBN into real world decisions. like on a analysis.)

Well, I will admit that the glossary, while good, could use update and expansion. Perhaps send the terms and words not covered to Bob.

As for practical application - well that's kind of up to you, and better yet that's why this forum exists in the first place! In other words (IOW) to find out how TBN applies to the real world, do a search, and then ask away
cheers.gif

I'm new to this total oil thingie ..but I know titrations.

The way TBN is measured gives you an indicator of how much buffer is between the oils current state ..and going acid. The lower the number ..the less quanity of buffering agents are still available to neutralize acid.

The reason that I say "buffers" ..is that I doubt that oil is all that alkaline (I've never measured it for Ph = potential of hydrogen) ..otherwise it would also corrode certain metals. So I "assume" that it is buffered with ingredients that are not reactive until effected by acids (like calcium which is in abundance in hard 7.0 Ph HARD water).

IE: The lower the number ..the sooner the oil starts disolving metals ..albeit mildly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back