Temperature swing affects on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the last 9 days we have experienced a 54 degree Celsius temp swing. From -50 to +4. What kind of affect does that have on oil sitting in a sump? Got to be some condensation I would think Didnt even attemp to start the car as I never had the block heater plugged in. The hemi work truck with bulk 5w20 castrol gtx started every morning but didnt sound good. The f150 ecoboost with with PP fired up like it was summer time, but would cover the entire street in exhaust

Well certainly the oil would become less viscous with that temperature change. You really should be using a 0W-xx oil under those conditions, and if you want to get picky, there's probably TSB's back-spec'ing 0W-20 oil in the Fusion. Heated battery blankets are probably more useful than actual block heaters. Where the heck did it get to be -50C in Alberta last week?

Originally Posted by pitzel
Well certainly the oil would become less viscous with that temperature change. You really should be using a 0W-xx oil under those conditions, and if you want to get picky, there's probably TSB's back-spec'ing 0W-20 oil in the Fusion. Heated battery blankets are probably more useful than actual block heaters. Where the heck did it get to be -50C in Alberta last week?

Sorry I lied......maybe a week and a half ago. Im not sure if it was -50 but my truck stopped showing the temp after -45

Concerned about severe temperature swings of Alberta and not concerned about running a thinner oil in those conditions?
Why not 5w20 in the pickup and 0w20 in the Fusion, during this time of the year?

I put a few oil in the freezer including a dino, a very good syn and PP ...
after one week, PP looked very crisp & clear like before my test.
Other oils looked foggy. Someone said fog was due to moisture ... I think maybe also wax!?
All oils were in the same freezer and next to each other and covered.

As far as -50 to +4 ... I think oil is more stressed by going to typical 230°F+ operating temperatures. Any moisture should be removed by then.

Originally Posted by leeaspell
Originally Posted by pitzel

Sorry I lied......maybe a week and a half ago. Im not sure if it was -50 but my truck stopped showing the temp after -45

Thursday, Jan 16, High Level, Alberta : -47 F. Close enough !
laugh.gif

Last edited:
What would I gain going to 5w20 in the truck vs 5w30.

Almost nothing. You would be much better off with 0w20 or 0w30. It's the front number that designates the viscosity when at those low temps. I happen to be running a 0w30 in my Chev 6.0 liter V-8.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Almost nothing. You would be much better off with 0w20 or 0w30.

Correct. 0wXX for those temps.

We got down to -41c one night here in BC, but for the most part we were hovering around -30 to -35 for the week. Then bam, everything warmed up to +7c. I didn't have anywhere to plug in my F150 since we don't have a single outlet anywhere outside the place we're at, but my truck fired up like a champ every time. I can tell you that I REALLY appreciate the autostart now. I'm running PPPP 5w30 since it's a thinner oil and has great cSt numbers.

We don't typically get cold snaps like that so I'm more than comfortable running a 5w30 oil for the few days where the temps do drop significantly.

[Linked Image from cimg0.ibsrv.net]

5W20 is generally always thinner and easier to start (without cold start rattle) in Alberta winters.

I would say go with 0w20 in those temps. If you look at viscosity charts at 40 degree c you will see the better flow with 0w20 than 5w30 but at running temp (100c) it is within a few centistokes so you will be safe with 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back