Temperature rising, Oil Pressure dropping, More smoke at WOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past few months my car usually gets around 24-26 PSI @ idle, now that it is warming up outside, I'm seeing that my oil pressure is dropping down to 19-21 PSI. Keep in mind, I'm still using the same oil and same oil filter. I'm also noticing more smoke when I'm at WOT. My compression reads 270psi +/- 3psi across the board.

Any reason behind this?

LSV

What viscosity of oil are you running? I hope a thick 30w (GC) or a 40w if this the LS/VTEC (combo) motor. Remember, when the engine switches cams, it will run richer and burn a small amount of oil as Honda intended.

[edited to add...]
I'm running Schaeffer's 15w-40 in my B16

I'd run the new Amsoil 5w-40/AFL in this modded engine during the warmer months. That will give you about the same oil pressure regardless of ambient temps, along with improved wear protection. In fact, that's now my primary recommendation for all these highly tuned Honda/Acura engines....

I've been extremely pleased with the 5w-40 in my 1.8L, 225 Hp Audi turbo.

Oil pressure is a function of oil temps as well as engine rpms (oil pump output). Your peak oil temps will run 15F-20F higher during the summer in this motor. That gives you the same effect as using an oil which is one SAE grade thinner in terms of oil pressure. That's why the 30wt to 40wt switch is the technically correct approach. Try it and you'll see what I mean....

(I see the Marines still get up earlier than us old Air Force guys
wink.gif
)

Tooslick

[ April 08, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Yep, 270 across the board.. running pistons out of a Civic Type R, they have some pretty nice domes.
smile.gif

CR is probably around 12.5:1

[ April 08, 2005, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: LSVTEC 91 Civic ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back