tell me about turbo chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Simple list to go by:

1. Use a good spec oil and change as required
2. Same for cooling
3. Don't race the engine then shut it down immediately.
4. Do not ignore ignition issues, fix asap.
5. Enjoy

Then again I could say that about any car.

You could, but it's still good to emphasize sometimes. Some cars are more sensitive to this stuff than others are.

To put it another way, turbocharged engines require the same sensibilities as any other engine; the difference is that there is less margin for error.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I own a Cruze with the 1.4T.

The only negatives I've had so far are that the mileage barely lives up to the ratings and it runs poorly in hot weather on 87 octane.

Some of the new turbos say they run on 87, like the 1.4T, for example. But the 1.4T runs horribly in hot weather on 87.

I'm not sure if these other new turbos that claim to run on regular have similar issues.

I'd be shocked if they didn't.

The general rule is that turbocharged engines are more sensitive to temperature than naturally aspirated engines, with supercharged engines somewhere in the middle.

Originally Posted By: horse123
They run on 87 in the sense that you could put 4 octane in it, if it existed, and the knock sensors would do their job, keeping the engine from destroying itself.

Well said.

To qualify that a bit: Knock sensors can only sense knock that has already happened, no engine has an infinite range of adjustment, and some of the adjustments could also leave the car running really rich. So, there's still the possibility of worse longevity, even though the chance of instant catastrophe is basically nonexistent.

Ya with watercooled turbo's idle down isn't as important as it once was. They will continue to thermo-siphon and add to the fact that a lot of car markers now provide constant power to the radiator fans for this reason as well. They will cycle on/off to deal with the latent heat after shutdown.

Simple list to go by:

2. Same for cooling
5. Enjoy

HORSEPOWER.jpg

This can and does happen on any production turbocharged car. So be mindful when pushing the car and shutting it down immediately.

Yes, turbos get hot - but the engine in the picture is a 4 litre Ford engine, from an Aussie Falcon XR6, and that one appears highly tuned, with a big turbo, custom exhaust manifold, etc. That thing is probably putting out at least double the power of a standard one!

It's on the user to use premium all the time which you should in a turbo. 93 instead of 91 is just a bonus, although around here the 93 at BP is the same as the 91 at any other gas station, so why not get the 93?

No basis of facts. I have run several 100K miles on turbos with 87 octane and never a problem in any weather or conditions - many severe.
Millions of turbos everywhere have done the same.

What is your evidence?

Ya with watercooled turbo's idle down isn't as important as it once was. They will continue to thermo-siphon and add to the fact that a lot of car markers now provide constant power to the radiator fans for this reason as well. They will cycle on/off to deal with the latent heat after shutdown.

Simple list to go by:

2. Same for cooling
5. Enjoy

HORSEPOWER.jpg

This can and does happen on any production turbocharged car. So be mindful when pushing the car and shutting it down immediately.

Ahh the Barra Turbo I6 from the Falcon! You guys are missing out! :p
But yes I believe the engine pictured puts out 1163hp so yeah over double what a stock Barra Turbo would make

Originally Posted By: user52165
It's on the user to use premium all the time which you should in a turbo. 93 instead of 91 is just a bonus, although around here the 93 at BP is the same as the 91 at any other gas station, so why not get the 93?

No basis of facts. I have run several 100K miles on turbos with 87 octane and never a problem in any weather or conditions - many severe.
Millions of turbos everywhere have done the same.

What is your evidence?

+1

To be honest, our 2.0T runs better on 87 than our 2.4 NA does. It mostly sees 93 but on the few occasions it has used 87, there hasn't been any noticible diffence.

They have been in pretty extensive use since the 80's in European cars and last the life of the motor if designed properly.

Originally Posted By: hpb

Simple list to go by:

2. Same for cooling
5. Enjoy

HORSEPOWER.jpg

Yes, turbos get hot - but the engine in the picture is a 4 litre Ford engine, from an Aussie Falcon XR6, and that one appears highly tuned, with a big turbo, custom exhaust manifold, etc. That thing is probably putting out at least double the power of a standard one!

Is that thing DOHC/24 valve??

Some turbo cars need 91+ octane, while others run happily on 87. My turbo Cruze runs a lot better on 93 than on 87, so that's what it gets.

Check forums on vehicles you're looking at to find out any tips for the engine and vehicle in question.

We can't tell a difference between 87 and 91 in our 1.4T Sonic. If fuel mileage is higher, it's not enough to offset the cost of the gas. Otherwise, runs the same. Didn't buy it for power output, so that doesn't matter for us.

I can feel a difference in power between regular and premium, but I really haven't seen mileage differences in my Eco-Boost F150 between the two grades.

The mileage isn't as good as advertised, but I'm still averaging about 1.5mpg better than my last truck (2005 Silverado) while having more power and torque.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Simple list to go by:

2. Same for cooling
5. Enjoy

HORSEPOWER.jpg

Yep, sure is. Google "Barra turbo" or "XR6 turbo". Be a real shame when they stop making 'em next year.

One thing not mentioned so far is added complexity of the vacuum system + check valves. There is far more vac line plumbing than a NAS type. Boost allowed into areas that are verboten causes problems. Therefore, additional maintainence is required.

I hear boost adds fun and crazyness to even a boring old sedan, lets find out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Turbos in VW's and Audis have been proven reliable for a longtime now. If VAG can do it reliably, so can the other automakers.
Some turbos weren't water cooled from yesteryear. And oil was typically group I
back then which is horrible in a gas engine equipped with a turbo.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
As said above, it VAG can get this right (my own experience supports that observation) then it is easy tech for others.

You guys make it sound like VW is some sort of a retard that just discovered that 2+2=4, while it's common knowledge for others.

Fact is that the reason today's forced induction seems easy is because of companies like VW, Volvo and Saab and their persistence on using it despite industry's trends in the past.

Yes we do, and for good reason. I always say, if VW can do it, then even GM can too....lol. Seriously my beef with VW comes from the arrogance of VW to tell us it has "German Engineering" in every commercial since the 80's. "German Engineering" for most VW owners translates to over-engineering and complex. Like my friend with the late 90's VW bug says, he gets asked about the bug and it's German Engineering in parking lots on a regular basis and his answer is always "F&^*% German Engineering....

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Simple list to go by:

2. Same for cooling
5. Enjoy

HORSEPOWER.jpg

Yep, sure is. Google "Barra turbo" or "XR6 turbo". Be a real shame when they stop making 'em next year.

Sort of like a 1 liter larger, domestic nameplate answer to the 2JZGTE.
cool.gif

Shame that Ford did not bring these into the USA at all.
IF it would have fit, it could've been a nice powerplant for the new Stang.
19.gif

Hi guys,

I've never had a turbo charged car in my life and perhaps in the next couple years I just may try one.

My big question is....wether I should try a car that's used with a turbo like a Hyundai Genesis coupe in the 2.0 liter variant or just get a new car like maybe a Chevy Cruze fully loaded with a turbo.

Still weighing options. My current car is having some tranny issues and the dealership told me the computer says no problem!
Based on some detective work I know what the problem is so the tipping point is to flush the tranny again and install another magnet in the pan andgive it another try.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hi guys,

I've never had a turbo charged car in my life and perhaps in the next couple years I just may try one.

My big question is....wether I should try a car that's used with a turbo like a Hyundai Genesis coupe in the 2.0 liter variant or just get a new car like maybe a Chevy Cruze fully loaded with a turbo.

Still weighing options. My current car is having some tranny issues and the dealership told me the computer says no problem!
Based on some detective work I know what the problem is so the tipping point is to flush the tranny again and install another magnet in the pan andgive it another try.

Durango

You would have to buy a used Hyundai Gen Coupe as they quit offering the turbo in 2014.

But I believe a twin turbo V6 is in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back