Teens killed in Tesla traveling 116 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purging the gene pool. These two got what they ordered going 116 mph in a 30 zone but someone else will have to be responsible because they were good kids from good families and would never do something like this.
No one will say these two were a couple of morons out of control and paid the consequences of their own stupidity.

It's not the battery's fault. Anybody who hits a wall at 108mph is unlikely to walk away in any event even if there are ZERO flammable materials in the vehicle. Anybody who thinks otherwise should examine their training in physics.

Jesus some people are rough in here. Did these kids do something dumb? yea, they were kids. Of course they were in a Tesla and not a corrola or hyundai so lets jump all over that too.

I was hit by a 96 year old man who blew a red light going 55mph in a 30mph. But he was probably a WW2 VET so that was his right I'm sure. He was also driving a grand marquis so I'm sure I was just in his way.

This board is insane sometimes. Next comes the "MY KIDS WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING STUPID BECAUSE THEY'RE SO RESPONSIBLE AND RAISED RIGHT". Yea keep thinking that.

We had a similar incident in my area involving a Model S with a group of high school kids going to prom, two didn't make it. There's a good reason that my son learned to drive in a slow old diesel Mercedes-a Tesla is too much car for teenagers to handle. Still a tragedy, though.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Jesus some people are rough in here. Did these kids do something dumb? yea, they were kids. Of course they were in a Tesla and not a corrola or hyundai so lets jump all over that too.

I was hit by a 96 year old man who blew a red light going 55mph in a 30mph. But he was probably a WW2 VET so that was his right I'm sure. He was also driving a grand marquis so I'm sure I was just in his way.

This board is insane sometimes. Next comes the "MY KIDS WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING STUPID BECAUSE THEY'RE SO RESPONSIBLE AND RAISED RIGHT". Yea keep thinking that.
Kids are kids, I had a couple incidents where I could have been killed (my fault) in a 40 HP '64 VW Beetle when I was 16-17. Guessing your 96 y.o. MGM driver probably shouldn't have been driving? I know mine has EXCELLENT brakes!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Kids are kids, I had a couple incidents where I could have been killed (my fault) in a 40 HP '64 VW Beetle when I was 16-17. Guessing your 96 y.o. MGM driver probably shouldn't have been driving? I know mine has EXCELLENT brakes!

Yea sorry that wasn't a "shot" at that particular car, more that it and its cousin the crown vic are sweethearts of the site. So an accident in one isn't as noteworthy as a Tesla. A friend of mine has a crown vic and its been rock solid and a great cruiser. Often when we go on longer drives to go hiking I like taking that because it has room for our gear and just purrs on the highway.

But I agree, kids are kids. The idea that this accident "purged the gene pool" is just evil. Lets not give anyone a chance to change or grow as a person. Thats a huge problem in this country seen in our over populated prisons. We love punishing people to the fullest extent with no thought of helping an individual.

From your previous discussions re EVs and Teslas...and using imagination to bypass physical laws.

No, Tesla haven't rewritten the laws of physics, they still apply even if you are driving an EV/Tesla.

Outcome would have been the same in a 1969 Ford Galaxy...except for the speed.

But I agree, kids are kids. The idea that this accident "purged the gene pool" is just evil. Lets not give anyone a chance to change or grow as a person. Thats a huge problem in this country seen in our over populated prisons. We love punishing people to the fullest extent with no thought of helping an individual.

Surely however, Tesla, which is 100% automated could have introduced some sort of "safety" device that would have prevented their car being used 80MPH faster than the local speed limit in a known twisty geography ?

They can control how many insane launches you doo, the feed rate at the supercharge station, but let you carry 16 times the legal kinetic energy into a corner ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
From your previous discussions re EVs and Teslas...and using imagination to bypass physical laws.

No, Tesla haven't rewritten the laws of physics, they still apply even if you are driving an EV/Tesla.

Outcome would have been the same in a 1969 Ford Galaxy...except for the speed.

I was just pointing out the main reason this will get extra attention here is the hate for Tesla. Of course 100mph+ in any vehicle will have this result. I have no skin in the game as to what happened to the car, I would almost expect an EV to catch fire with such an impact at those speeds.

But a bigger underlying issue in this thread is the monsters saying these kids deserved to die.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Surely however, Tesla, which is 100% automated could have introduced some sort of "safety" device that would have prevented their car being used 80MPH faster than the local speed limit in a known twisty geography ?

They can control how many insane launches you doo, the feed rate at the supercharge station, but let you carry 16 times the legal kinetic energy into a corner ?

I don't know if Tesla's have this, but I know Ford (and I think VW?) have a "my key" system that will allow certain parameters to be set based on the key thats in the car. So you could in theory set a keys top speed to say 80mph.

I don't think the onus should be put on Tesla to dictate how fast a vehicle can go on a given road but... Thats something I've wondered for awhile. Why not set GPS based hard speed limits in vehicles? Pass a 35mph sign and the car all the sudden can do no more than the speed posted. We are probably getting to that point soon...

I'm sure most of us have stories about doing stupid things that could/should have been fatal when we were youngsters, these kids were unlucky enough to not be able to tell their stories later in life.
It's sad that they died, but I do have to say I'm glad they didn't take any innocent victims with them.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Read that the father asked Tesla limit top speed of the car to 85 mph after previous speeding incidents.
I'm with your thinking Trav

Honestly I don't really get why this isn't the case in NA anyway. Those who truly think they'll be tracking their vehicles at higher speeds can program it out.

Not that it would have helped here, but Shannow is onto something regarding the tech to make smart decisions. Yes, it's a bit of a nanny setup, and if personal responsibility isn't exercised, sometimes people should pay the price to avoid the cost to the rest of society, but kids are typically an exception, to a point at least.

The kids could have been just as dead in a corolla or other econobox with less power and speed. I'd suspect the real at-fault here was lack of discipline on part of the parent.

I thought Tesla had a valet mode, and I thought the top speed was 70. Doesn't make a difference in this case, just discussing the performance limitation capabilities.

Irregardless, parents are way more lax these days- disconnected to say the least.

I don't know if Tesla's have this, but I know Ford (and I think VW?) have a "my key" system that will allow certain parameters to be set based on the key thats in the car. So you could in theory set a keys top speed to say 80mph.

Was just wondering the same thing. Our Fusion has "My Key" although we've never used it or configured it. It can restrict various things including top speed. Surely a Tesla has something similar.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
I thought Tesla had a valet mode, and I thought the top speed was 70. Doesn't make a difference in this case, just discussing the performance limitation capabilities.

Irregardless, parents are way more lax these days- disconnected to say the least.

Parents were way more "lax" in my day.

We disappeared for hours and hours and hours at a time, no phones, just "going out on our bikes"

Yep had to be back for dinner/dusk, whatever the rule was.

But we also climbed trees, fell out, broke bones, grazed knees, pulled glass out of wounds etc.

Honestly, I think that when a kid is indoors, "dying" and "respawning" 100+ times a day, compared to "skin in the game" having done stuff and got actually hurt, they are being programmed to accept risks that multiple and real pushbike crashes would steer them away from in real life.

I don't for a second blame video games for giving kids the feeling of invulnerability in real life...I don't blame the parents for being lax...and I don't blame tesla or the guy who built the curve.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'm sure most of us have stories about doing stupid things that could/should have been fatal when we were youngsters, these kids were unlucky enough to not be able to tell their stories later in life.
It's sad that they died, but I do have to say I'm glad they didn't take any innocent victims with them.

Yup, most of us exercised the family vehicles pretty hard when we were young and we were lucky enough that nothing bad happened.
The accident Bullwinkle refers to happened local to us and I am familiar with the stretch of road where it happened.
The driver got carried away with the car, no doubt encouraged by the presence of other kids to show off to.
This happens pretty regularly everywhere with the car involved not often being a Tesla.
The only real cure for youthful ignorance is experience and most of us live through the ignorance and gain that experience. It is a shame that some don't make it.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Read that the father asked Tesla limit top speed of the car to 85 mph after previous speeding incidents.
I'm with your thinking Trav

Me too, would they be any less dead if the top speed was limited to 85 mph after previous speeding incidents? It's tragic, but not the fault of the automaker in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back