TeeJet Spray Tips

I recently purchased a FlowZone Typhoon 2.5 sprayer for perimeter pest control. The sprayer includes a pressure washer gun and nozzle tip that dispenses way too much product for my application. The sprayer has multiple psi settings, but I usually use the middle setting that probably gives me 45-60 psi.

Flowzone makes an adapter to allow the use of TeeJet spray tips. The product I am using (Demand CS) specifies an application rate of 1-5 gallons for every 800-1600 square feet. I don't think the exact quantity applied is critical (in this case), but I would like to be in the ballpark.

From my limited research so far, I believe I need a XR11004. Is this correct?

1657748099068.jpg
1657747848036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the XR11004, but the 4-packs are on b/o. When they arrive, I'll report back.

304B8E73-5915-4D68-B214-563A90EF259F.jpeg

These finally showed up. Based on some threads over on the lawn forum site, I think setting #1 is about 40-50 psi with the FlowZone typhoon 2.5.

With these tips, I should be around 1.5 gal per 1000 sq ft, which is well within the label instructions.

Preliminary testing suggests that my flow rate is much more reasonable compared to before.

@doitmyself , did I get this right?

Good enuf. My dissertation on nozzle selection follows, LOL. Especially in this case of ground speed = walking speed, numerous nozzle sizes will work. The highest application rate variable is ground speed. 1mph applies double vs. 2 mph. Next is nozzle output size, .04 GPM in your case. Pressure has the least affect on output volume.

XR11004 - XR indicates extended range regarding pressure choice. This nozzle will produce a good pattern at 15 lbs. psi up to 60 lbs. psi.. A standard nozzle operates at a narrower psi range, with 40 psi being the median. The take away is that droplets are larger/coarser at 15 psi vs. 60 psi. Lower psi = less drift. Higher psi is needed for more atomization on hard to penetrate (thick foliage, etc.) areas, but more off-target drift prone. Like a paint sprayer, this nozzle pattern tapers on the edges and is designed to be overlapped (even pattern nozzles are available).

110 means it has a wider, 110 degree spray pattern. You can hold it closer to the ground for less drift vs. 80 degree nozzle.

.04 means it sprays 0.4 gallons per minute at 40 lbs. pressure. More/less at different psi.

The 04 output size is o.k., but the minimum I would use for your application. The cons of .04 is small orifice more prone to clogging. Smaller droplets more prone to drifting. It will take longer to apply vs. a larger nozzle.

I probably would have chosen an .06 for less clogging,faster application, and less drift. The .06 will have coarser droplets for less drift, especially at lower pressure, i.e., it will have the same output (1.4) at 20 lbs. as the smaller nozzle at 40 lbs., again bigger droplets less prone to drift.

You can get the job done o.k. with .04 to over .08 nozzles. Those tables above are more critical when calibrating a tractor sprayer. Practice with plain water on a given area (500 or 1,000 sq. ft,) . Again, the 1 to 5 gallons of carrier is important for even coverage on easy vs. difficult surfaces. Whether you choose 1 or 5, the most important thing is to apply the labeled amount of active ingredient/product. x ounces product in one gallon is the same as x ounces product in 5 gallons over the same 1,000 sq. ft.

Now, wake up, anyone that I put to sleep. Commercial Ag suppliers should have nozzles available individually.

Especially with an .04 nozzle, use one of these screens (middle) in front of the nozzle to ward of clogging:
1659304784538.png

Last edited:
Whether you choose 1 or 5, the most important thing is to apply the labeled amount of active ingredient/product. x ounces product in one gallon is the same as x ounces product in 5 gallons over the same 1,000 sq. ft.
Just wanted to circle back on this.

You are 100% correct. More liquid helps with penetration into "difficult" pervious surfaces during a perimeter treatment. The label lists product quantity by square footage for perimeter applications; the oz/ gallon figures are reserved for crack/crevice or spot treatments. Every person may use a different amount of liquid per 1000 sq-ft due to various factors (e.g. walking speed, nozzle tip, pressure setting, etc.), but the quantity of insecticide required for a given square footage should remain the same.

1667198766152.png

After testing out the XR11004 on setting #1 with my Typhoon 2.5, I am dispensing 3 gallons per 1000 sq-ft. So for me, if using the product above, I should be adding no more than 20mL.

Attachments

• 1667199106748.jpg
    1667199106748.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1
Back