Insecticide Recommendation for Perimeter Spray

I have been researching pest control options for my house due to the presence of paper wasps in my eaves. There has also been minor evidence of spiders and red ants near doorways. Note: this is a 2-story house.

My priorities are to eradicate the paper wasps and to perform a perimeter spray (every 2-3 months) for maintenance.

I plan to purchase a FlowZone Typhoon 2.5 for the perimeter spray along with the proper PPE.

Based on my research, I am considering the following insecticide candidates for the exterior perimeter spray:

1) BASF’s Fendona CS (alpha-cypermethrin 3%)

2) MGK’s Onslaught Fastcap (Esfenvalerate 6.4%, Piperonyl butoxide 8%, Prallethrin 1.6%)

3) Bayer’s Suspend Polyzone (Deltamethrin 4.75%)

The materials I have read suggest that all three options should perform comparably, but the Fendona CS product does use a third-gen pyrethroid…which is newer technology. Onslaught probably has the broadest coverage form a label-use standpoint, though. Ideally, I prefer a product with a good residual that can last 2-3 months outdoors. Capability of immediate knockdown is not critical. Lastly, although I would not mind having the ability to use one product for indoor and outdoor, I will most likely be purchasing a separate product for indoor use (Alpine WSG).

From the information provided, I would really appreciate feedback on which perimeter spray to choose or if you have one in mind that will work better. Cost isn’t the issue; Orkin quoted me $60/mo with a 1-yr agreement, so any chemical and equipment purchase will cost me considerably less.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use Demand CS outside for perimeter sprays to keep wasps and other bugs away and I use Temprid FX indoors. Both are top notch products and reasonably priced. A repellant outdoors and a non-repellant indoors is my strategy. The Temprid is very low odor with a long residual and also kills quickly on contact. It's excellent on ants and spiders and it also helped me eradicate a very severe bedbug infestation at my in-laws place. Temprid FX is the real deal.

when I sprayed for insects, I used Demon WP or Tempo SC. I don’t do perimeter sprays anymore - most of your chemical gets washed down into a storm drain or the watershed. Bait is my preferred way to kill ants. I use Terro or Bayer Maxforce Quantum for ants. Eradicate the nests first with a pyrethroid - my pick would be one of the FMC or BASF aerosols. BASF recently expanded the label for Termidor to include ants and other pests - but many were buying it for off-label uses like pelt and mount preservation(the AI in Termidor, fipronil is also used in Frontline for cats and dogs).

Many PCOs here tend to use FMC’s Talstar(bifenthrin) - which is also the same AI as Ortho Home Defense and Bug-B-Gon. Conquer and Demand CS I’ve also heard of being used by PCOs here.

Critic, looks like you're on the right track.

Make sure you know exactly what kind of insect you want to exterminate, and read the instructions to confirm it's included.

I freak out when I see a large black (carpenter) ant outside.
NOT ALL insecticides will kill them.

They all look like good options. The Onslaught would be my pick.
I have the exterminator come by every three months. I have the good stuff put up for my personal use. The good stuff is Chlorpyrifos. It takes care of everything the exterminator misses.

Spiders only die with direct spray. Ants need a bait and I found Amdro works . I blow the wasps nests on the eves with water and with the inground nests I wait till dark and pour a half cup of gasoline in the hole and cover the hole with a rock of piece of wood to kill the nest.

Last edited:
Demon WP. Buy the ~$20 package from Amazon, this makes 4 gallons. This will be two envelopes of 4 little self-disolving plastic bags of goodness. Put these in a 2-gallon pump-up sprayer, fill with water, let it sit for 5 minutes, shake, pump up and spray around the foundation of your home until it runs out. Just keep going around the house.

I don't spray right up to the joint of dirt/mulch and the wall, but about 12-24" away from the foundation. Set the sprayer tip on a pretty good jet, far from mist and just spray like that around the house. Just keep walking and pumping until it runs out. Repeat every 30-45 days in warm weather, every 75-90 in cold weather.

That $20 package from Amazon will do two times, so 4 gallons. Been using Demon WP like this for 8+ years and it works fantastically. When I miss a treatment, say go 60+ days in the summer, we know it. Lots of spiders, creepy-crawly things coming in the house. I will spray and within 48 hours, it's back to nothing. Plus I feel this keeps termites at bay, along with the bait stations.

They all look like good options. The Onslaught would be my pick.
I have the exterminator come by every three months. I have the good stuff put up for my personal use. The good stuff is Chlorpyrifos. It takes care of everything the exterminator misses.
I got deathly ill from this stuff and my cats mysteriously died after application. Another purportedly "safe" carpenter ant and insect spray that is a nerve agent and IIRC was pulled from the market. BONIDE Carpenter Ant and Termite Control.

My hair was coming out in handfulls in the shower a few days after the last time I did a perimeter spray outside foundation up a couple clapboards (logs in my case) and inside basement along the sill plate.

If you use this stuff you are putting your family in danger. If you even have it, its likely old stock.

We all have wasps Just learn live with them. If they are building a nest near a doorway, take it down and relocate it to the woods or away from people when it is early and cool out - a period of low activity. I use an old glass pickle jar.

Why do we have cancer and illness ? - here is a major part of the cure - take TOXINS out of you environment

- Ken

Last edited:
I got deathly ill from this stuff and my cats mysteriously died after application. Another purportedly "safe" carpenter ant and insect spray that is a nerve agent and IIRC was pulled from the market. BONIDE Carpenter Ant and Termite Control.

My hair was coming out in handfulls in the shower a few days after the last time I did a perimeter spray outside foundation up a couple clapboards (logs in my case) and inside basement along the sill plate.

If you use this stuff you are putting your family in danger. If you even have it, its likely old stock.

We all have wasps Just learn live with them. If they are building a nest near a doorway, take it down and relocate it to the woods or away from people when it is early and cool out - a period of low activity. I use an old glass pickle jar.

Why do we have cancer and illness ? - here is a major part of the cure - take TOXINS out of you environment

- Ken
While many organophosphates did get pulled for consumer use - malathion is still on the market for consumer use. Many OPs and carbamates are either restricted use pesticides due to toxicity(organophosphates as well as carbamates act on acetylcholine) or banned entirely. However, Vapona is still to be had at your local box store as Real-Kill pest strips and flea collars. Neo-nics(imidacloprid and the like) and pyrethroids have replaced both of them in agriculture and pest control - but colony collapse disorder has dramatically increased with neo-nics.

Cats are very sensitive to pyrethroids - even brief contact with a dog that has been treated with permethrin can kill them.

I use Bifenthrin as a catch all permiter spray. Usually once a month or six weeks while in season. Dirt cheap and works. Wear gloves, one ounce of concentrate makes a gallon in a pump sprayer.

- Ken
Not worried at all. I have a commercial applicators license. I have been properly trained. It is not old stock. I can readily buy it under my commercial license. 😎 Fire ants are my main target pest with Pilot 4E Chlorpyrifos).

My routine is to spray the fipronil( termidor/taurus sc) at the .06% rate around the foundation and areas were ants travel and there is little water runoff. Don't mix termidor/taurus sc stronger than the label. You don't want fast knockdown, you want it carried back to the nest/colony. After a week or so, i spray the onslaught fast cap around the foundation and perimeter ground, when its not going to rain for a bit. This nails the spiders. The onslaught has a long residual inside my garage.

Thanks for the tips.

I ordered Termidor SC and Demand CS. Will plan to alternate between the two for quarterly exterior treatments. I may also add Alpine WSG into the mix as well.

Now, time to shop for a sprayer:

We use this stuff and it is excellent, controlling everything - ants, termites, spiders, boring bees, wasps, etc.

label says it is 2.5% beta cyfluthrin, whatever that is. (that is the concentrate - 40oz bottle lasts years).

I like the Bayer products. The one I use is liquid and it also kills carpenter termites. I use a Ortho type hose sprayer and go out about 4 feet around the house. I also get the granulare bag stuff and put a good bead of it around the foundation of the house...

We use this stuff and it is excellent, controlling everything - ants, termites, spiders, boring bees, wasps, etc.

label says it is 2.5% beta cyfluthrin, whatever that is. (that is the concentrate - 40oz bottle lasts years).

I use it too and it does work well...

Back