Tech vs service writer - pay etc

D60

I know a questionable tech locally at a franchised store. She claims she went from lead tech to service writer because it was a pay bump.

Do service writers typically make more than a tech? And again, she claimed she was lead tech.

Would going from the shop to the desk typically be considered a promotion?

I'm asking because I legitimately don't know.

I can never draw enough out of her to determine if she knows much of anything about vehicle repair. And I'm not suspicious because it's a woman -- I'm suspicious because my instincts just tell me something is off and she's dating a close friend.

Not according to my son. He has worked as a service writer at two different shops, and in both places, a good tech can make much more than a service writer. That is why my son finally gave up on being a service writer and started turning wrenches.

I've often wondered why shops don't pay service writers better. A good service writer, who really knows how to schedule customers, can make all the difference in keeping the schedules full for the techs. This is particularly important in a small shop.

Service writer is typically 1 year in college then some understudy for a few months and your turned loose. In the big shops its heavily commissioned so I suppose if you can upsell a lot of services then you might be able to make money.

In general however I would say no - a competent tech can make way more than a service writer, and the best tech at a good shop will likely make more than the service manager, not on paper but because they can turn jobs in well under book time. And if the service writer can't keep his bay full he will find a new shop.

Every Mechanic job I have ever had....The service writers had new fancy cars and the tech's such as myself drove hoopties.

Do ya think I want to drive a 22 yr old jeep? I would much rather drive a newer Tacoma pickup or 4 Runner. Can't afford those.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Service writer is typically 1 year in college then some understudy for a few months and your turned loose. In the big shops its heavily commissioned so I suppose if you can upsell a lot of services then you might be able to make money.

the best tech at a good shop will likely make more than the service manager
Agree on this!

I did a little digging and if what I've seen is accurate, I have even more respect for GOOD mechanics. They don't make that much money.

Every Mechanic job I have ever had....The service writers had new fancy cars and the tech's such as myself drove hoopties.
That means nothing. You could be comparing a financed vehicle with an outrageous monthly payment vs a paid-off vehicle.

The service writers at most large dealers have a lower hourly wage but an opportunity for big commissions. The more they up sell the more they make, so good ones make very very good money(well over 100k). Just like a good car salesman the sky is the limit. But bad ones wash out quick.

That means nothing. You could be comparing a financed vehicle with an outrageous monthly payment vs a paid-off vehicle.
I cant even afford to finance a car. No way can I come up with another $400-$600+ a month. Seems like the service writers can at least afford a car payment. I cant and neither can the guy I share a bay with.

Around me, writers make alot more money but I’m only experienced in shops that are setup as big teams. I’m out of the dealer game since 2013 but did approach my old friend there who said I’d easily be in 6 figures now. I didn’t know a writer that didn’t make 6 figures then in 2013.

I ran into a writer a month ago who said he finally left the group because their new pay structure guaranteed he’d lose 60k that year. I don’t think the highest paid tech could live if they lost 60k.

Downfall to writing is the long hours. If you aren’t there to greet and write up your customer, someone else will and then you’re losing that commission. They want them there 12-14 hours a day it seems like. As a tech, if I didn’t have sidework, I ran out the door at 5. I worked and worked hard for the 8.5 hours I was there, but being on a team, I refused to continue working after time when I knew plenty of other guys didn’t work nearly as hard throughout the day.

The service writers at most large dealers have a lower hourly wage but an opportunity for big commissions. The more they up sell the more they make, so good ones make very very good money(well over 100k). Just like a good car salesman the sky is the limit. But bad ones wash out quick.
I bet if you have a really good year they'll rejigger the commission structure in the owner's favor to keep you chasing the dragon. I'd print as much proof of my performance as I could get away with and move to the dealer across the street if they did that to me, and if I was any good at sales.

Edit, what the guy above me wrote.

My anecdotal encounters with dealer folks who I got familiar, and friendly with, found them gravitate toward being service writers, including a tech who didn't want to wrench any more, and a parts guy.

Can't say what the relative compensation is like, but to me, it's probably the toughest job, having to interpret, and translate the customers' wishes and complaints into brief snippets good enough for the tech to really understand what's going on, so they can complete the task.

When that line of communication fails, the problem isn't fixed, the job may be done improperly, and the customer ends up angry.

One time, between the writer and the parts guy, they ordered a right-side part instead of the left side-part, which should have turned a straightforward fix into a multi-visit inconvenience.

Around me, writers make alot more money but I’m only experienced in shops that are setup as big teams. I’m out of the dealer game since 2013 but did approach my old friend there who said I’d easily be in 6 figures now. I didn’t know a writer that didn’t make 6 figures then in 2013.

I ran into a writer a month ago who said he finally left the group because their new pay structure guaranteed he’d lose 60k that year. I don’t think the highest paid tech could live if they lost 60k.

Downfall to writing is the long hours. If you aren’t there to greet and write up your customer, someone else will and then you’re losing that commission. They want them there 12-14 hours a day it seems like. As a tech, if I didn’t have sidework, I ran out the door at 5. I worked and worked hard for the 8.5 hours I was there, but being on a team, I refused to continue working after time when I knew plenty of other guys didn’t work nearly as hard throughout the day.

Being a mechanic isn't a team sport, I wouldn't tie my earning power to others!

You have to negotiate compensation, I mostly opted out of base salaries in exchange for greater flat rate percentage.

Got to work in a busy shop to make money.

Over on Reddit on the sub forum askcarsales it has been frequently mentioned a good service can make $100,000 a year.

Being a mechanic isn't a team sport, I wouldn't tie my earning power to others!

You have to negotiate compensation, I mostly opted out of base salaries in exchange for greater flat rate percentage.

Got to work in a busy shop to make money.
Agree somewhat. Team system has its pros and cons. It’s nice to have a guy who’s great at chasing down problems and him/her not be stressed about making sure they’re making enough labor time but instead just be focused on figuring out the problem. It’s hard if not impossible to cover your time when you’re facing problem car after problem car and only flagging warranty diagnosis time.

Warranty repair time is another thing…a tech should be able to make their time of not more in warranty repairs…but warranty diagnosis is an absolute joke.

Then of course you’ll have your techs who turn in 18-20 hours a day by doing brakes, flushes, timing belts all day.

So that team system can lend itself to learning and bettering a tech but they have to have the attitude to want to better themselves. Otherwise they’re only going to be fed what they’re good at.

Back