Tech Question - Ariens Two Stage Blower Auger Gear Box

I replaced the auger gear (not the worm gear) on the latest curb find. It’s an Ariens 8/24 two stage beast. I now see why the (second I believe) gear failed. I cut out a cork gasket, and gummed on plenty of RTV, but it still leaks the 80W-90 out. I am NOT pulling it apart again to put new seals in it. I know, I should have done that when I had it apart. Can I stuff this little gear box with grease instead? I know the Toro mower gear boxes I’ve got into and serviced use solid grease. Have any suggestions on what to use (with my granddaddy, plain Jane grease gun)?

Attachments

• IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 83
It's not the Ariens cast iron gear box but my Troy-Bilt aluminum gear box started leaking and tightening the bolts only squeezed out the RTV more and it leaked worse. Though it leaked what looked like an engine oil I read that you can use 00 grease in them. I bought a quart at Tractor Supply (TSC) for less than $5.50/quart. I've been adding it and the leak has stopped now and in the last snow storm the gear box ran fine in heavy wet snow and still no leaks.

Whimsey

I was in the exact same situation this year. Went to a local shop that does a lot of business, the tech, or one of the techs was on the sales floor and suggested Echo Red Armor grease. I've only been through one snowstorm with it this year since I swapped it during the summer, but so far so good. Nothing broke, and no leaks since the summer.

Wunnerful! I'll get it filled tomorrow and get this thing on Craigslist. It's almost as long as a Chevette, and easily chewed through 10inch deep, 3-day-old heavy snow for about 25 feet through the middle of my yard today without a whimper.

Been there.....done that (lithium EP NLGI 00 grease)

After repair.....GL4 (it has bronze bushings&wormgear)....80W

Back