AYP snowblower auger gear box died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by dwendt44
I vaguely recall that 'gear oil' and bronze gears don't get along very well.
Surprised that they used bronze gears in there anyway.

GL4 is yellow metals friendly...even nowadays GL5 will not harm them...

EDIT: as long if its GL5 "masked" as GL4+ or GL5 + MT-1 or GL4/5 or that it is indicated so on the label that it is yellow metals safe fluid)

I have an extra bucket for my 24' Ariens. I also check the lube level at the start of every season. I use Coastal MTL Ariens is 40 yrs old

A while back a neighbor had their Craftsman (MTD) snow blower sitting out on the curb, I guess he thought the trash company would take it. I went over and he told me to take it if I thought I could fix it. The gear box was completely broken in pieces. I took it and replaced the gearbox with a new one for about $100. This was about 8 or 9 years ago and it still works great. I figured out why it had broken when I took it apart, he had replaced the shear pins with regular bolts.

It's a track drive Craftsman just like this one.

[Linked Image]

^^^^^Nice machine!!

Well the parts finally came in so I was able to put the gear box back together. I used some Chevron Duralith EP #1 grease. Using JB weld I rebuilt a bit of the material around where the input shaft damaged the aluminum housing. I also used JB to fill in the scaring left on the input shaft. Seemed to work great.

There is some drag when the worm gear engages the broken teeth but it should smooth out and it does feel like decent engagement.

Tomorrow I will install it on the machine and see how long she will last...

In went the gear box and after I fought to get the auger belt on... It ran great!! I pushed some snow for a about 20 minutes before I shut it down for the night. After I fixed that drive belt issue it was very responsive as well.

If it can finish the season out I will tear the gear box down again for an inspection and carry on!

Well she died. It flat spotted the bronze gear. Oh well 30$ in parts was a small price to pay to get it running. I will look for another gear box or just get a lightly used snowblower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back