Tea tasting in China: Wuyi Rock tea-Golden Eyebrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin got a box of 2008 Wuyi rock tea from her boss this year as a gift. Since I am visiting China (see my other post in Off Topic) at the moment, I got the chance to taste it with her family.

The trade name of the tea is Golden eyebrow, it is a grade of tea between red and green that is commonly called eyebrow tea because it has 2 sprouts per branch that looks like a pair of eyebrow. It belongs to a family of tea called Wuyi Rock Tea, a dwaft tea plant grown on altitude between 1500-1800m on the Wuyi Mountain (hence rock tea), in the family of Tiaguanyin and Oolong category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tieguanyin

According to my cousins, it is made with sprouts only and is picked in the late morning after all the fogs are gone, and is hand processed with only 70% yield. In 2008 the total production was 150kg, and is sought after by the entire tea market, and is already sold out. The current market price is above $10k RMB (about $1250 US) per half kg, and is the most sought after tea in the year 2008. To satisfy the demand, there is a 2nd tiered product called Silver Eyebrow using the same process but with a lesser quality tea sprouts sold in the market, for a much lower price.

The tea taste like the Lipton black tea we can find in the Western world with a few exceptions:

1) It has absolutely no aftertaste and is in a much smoother quality, you couldn't find any bitterness that we associate with tea that we grow up with, just the smoothness and the fragrance. If you compare this to the Lipton side by side, you probably would have thought that Lipton is the same tea gone bad.

2) It has a natural honey fragrance and aftertaste that makes me think that some honey is added, but you couldn't find the sweetness to it (similar to the chamomile tea). The intensity is just right unlike the chamomile, and does not overpower the red tea flavor itself.

It's taste is so familiar, yet so impressive. For those of you who could read Chinese, here is an article of the tea:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_538acd9101009978.html

Last edited:
Man that sounds good.

My favorite is Longjing (Dragon well). Same area!! I used to bring a full kilo back. Not so expensive there. But here 100x as expensive.

The $40 I paid for a disk of Puer tea doesn't sound that expensive now that I know about Golden Eyebrow.

yeah I used to pay $30 per kilo or somesuch, but I noticed they started ripping off the gringos even in the more remote stores. IE different prices for the white man.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
yeah I used to pay $30 per kilo or somesuch, but I noticed they started ripping off the gringos even in the more remote stores. IE different prices for the white man.

A friend of mine told me a similar story, except he is American and his traveling buddy is a local Italian. If the American try to buy the same product they give you a price 3x as high, so the Italian friend ask the American friend to keep his mouth closed at all time and let the Italian do all the talking.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Italian guy speaks Mandarin?

Forgot to mention, they were traveling in Eastern Europe.

Our new Prime Minister (President) Kevin Rudd impressed the beejesus out of the Chinese premier and cohorts at a conference when he slipped into Mandarin. Hs done wonders for Chinese Australian relations which were already strong as they are our largest trading partner.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Our new Prime Minister (President) Kevin Rudd impressed the beejesus out of the Chinese premier and cohorts at a conference when he slipped into Mandarin. Hs done wonders for Chinese Australian relations which were already strong as they are our largest trading partner.

Probably slipped into a few Mandarin's also
whistle.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: sprintman

Was John Howard that astute as well?

I remember when they took puh-er tea off the market in Europe in the '90s, because it was full of pesticides and heavy metals. That tea was supposed to help people lose weight. I bet it worked!
grin2.gif

I wonder how much we can trust the large Western tea companies with testing the tea they peddle. Can we really trust Windsor Castle etc al?

From what I know the pesticide issue is still there, but not sure about the heavy metals (how did heavy metal get into tea). This is not just Chinese tea, but those from India and Taiwan as well. The high price teas are usually cared for by hand and therefore any weird stuff could affect taste and reduce the quality and price of the end products, so they are usually safe.

But still, you can never be 100% sure even for the premium stuff. That's why you see most sophisticated tea drinker always rinse the tea with boiling water for a couple seconds before brewing it (for about 30 seconds). My father in law has a degree in Chem Eng and he told me that most of these pesticides can be destroyed by heat, so it should be ok if you rinse it first and brew it with boiling hot water.

If you want, there are also organic tea available and it is very popular even in China (with certification from a reputable tea trader call Wei's I think, that has been in business since the 1700s, so I think you can trust their reputation).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back