Tapered Pad Wear

Yeah, I think the 3M copper anti seize left the surface a bit gummy. The wear on the bracket probably did not help.
View attachment 61474

But it is all better now. I cleaned the bracket well, lubed the contact areas with Permatex purple and buttoned it back up. Rotors were still smooth and well above minimum thickness so they were reused
View attachment 61475
get the permatex purple off there asap. We quit using that years ago because it hardens and sticks slides.
\

Well, if New Flyer trusts Plastilube on a bus that weighs up to 28 tons, it’s good enough for me to use it on non-rubber parts.

Yes, I do have that tube of Silaramic. I’ve used it on a drum brake job I did a while ago. The Prius is starting to be a little “chatty” lately - I’m going to try it out on that. Currently, I’m using Permatex’s new orange silicone lube.

Plastilube is a very common recommendation. Seems like good stuff.

That said, I used Silaramic on my E30 BMW brakes, which saw all kinds of weather conditions, and it lasted fine for me, fwiw.

I use

That grease trav linked seems good too.

Whats a good upgrade from sil-glyde for the caliper pins that wont swell the "rubber" on the guide pin?

I've stuck with sil-glyde because had issues with some others swelling and sticking.

I like the pastelub so much I was considering their other product:

Ceramlub-2800​

Last edited:
Years ago, I saved this thread for reference. I hadn’t done a brake job in years and this ”how-to“ had good info. I did buy the 3M silicone but I found Molykote-77 hard to come by so I searched for a popular alternative. Trav sold me on the CRC with his recommendation along with some other happy customers. So, I’m going to take this time to say THANKS GUYS!

Why the cautions about copper paste for brake parts applications?
Anti-seize doesn’t hold up too well against water wash or with heat. In the past, it was called for on the backs of brake pads and drum brake backing plates. It’s metal powders and graphite mixed with a mineral grease medium.

Subaru called for Molykote Cu7439 on their pad ears, Mercedes called for Bostik(Arkema) Never-Seez for pad backs and edges - it wasn’t called out by name, Mercedes Brake Pad Paste is rumored to be Never-Seez.

i always used plastilube for brake pad backs. sometimes i’d use it on the sliders of other brand calipers on accident

the permatex red stuff is by far the worst

get the permatex purple off there asap. We quit using that years ago because it hardens and sticks slides.
Yes, I tried that when it was first introduced, it dried out and hardened causing all sorts of grief, some serious crap there.
Do you guys mean their ceramic "extreme" stuff ? Kinda hope not.... just used it on our daughter's car when I replaced all (4) rotors and pads.

I’ve always used this stuff, on caliper brackets with or without the metal replaceable shims. No issues with abnormal pad wear or sticking. I don’t disassemble my brakes to clean and re-lube them at any interval except when they need replacement (unless I’m chasing after another issue and happen to have them apart).

And I’m not 100% sure of what the purple stuff you are talking about is, but one shop I worked at swore by a purple paste on hubs to keep rotors from seizing to the hubs. They said it was better than anti-seize, which I believe it was, as any return brake job came apart and took zero effort to clean the hub up. It was tacky when we disassembled them, though. I wouldn’t think it’s the best for slides.

Attachments

• 546F946F-FA2B-4952-BD74-90B41DE79BDC.jpg
    546F946F-FA2B-4952-BD74-90B41DE79BDC.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7
I had a horrible brake shudder on our old 95 Accord with the captuted rotors. I thought it was a warped rotor. It was the pad all along.

You beat me to it SoNic67.
Brake grease resists wash off and lubricates.
Anti-Seize is supposed to prevent parts like fasteners and contacting surfaces from fusing together.

It's beyond stoned and possibly belligerent (and self-destructive, if it's your car or that of a family member) to keep using anti-seize as brake grease.

What do they say to themselves? Great-grandpa used it?

Why would anyone use "anti-seize", made for different application (bolts and nuts), on the brake jobs is always baffling me.
The brake job requires brake lubricant.
You beat me to it SoNic67.
Brake grease resists wash off and lubricates.
Anti-Seize is supposed to prevent parts like fasteners and contacting surfaces from fusing together.

It's beyond stoned and possibly belligerent (and self-destructive, if it's your car or that of a family member) to keep using anti-seize as brake grease.
Doesn't hurt to trust experts who say otherwise, for example, 3M...

Thanks for the link. Is ALL anti-seize born out of 3M's (a company we all know and love) cauldron?
If I'm going to seek out 3M's anti-seize offering I'll buy dedicated brake grease too.

"The more things a product does, the less well it does all of them", a rule even 3M can't break.

Back