Tapered ball joint shaft seized in - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Quote:
Wow, after all that banging ... the tool looks so insubstantial, but it sure did the job!

These days I don't even attempt any service unless I have the proper tools for the job. This is a perfect example.

Ask yourself was it better to waste all of that time and effort banging away with a hammer or just buy this and get it over with? I know which one I would choose.
Agreed, if I'd known that the tool even existed, and that it was available locally, I would have bought it in advance in a flash. Oh well. lesson learned.

Normally I would have planned out the job better, but this was an emergency repair.

Pics (finally):

This was putting the broken side back together in the driveway, after getting the steering knuckle back from the machine shop.

Here's the new LCA w/ integrated ball joint in place:

Here's the steering knuckle back in place:

This is the stabilizer bar end link reinstalled:

Here's the old ball joint that had separated:

Did the other side in the garage, with the construction heater running. Much nicer! And you can see the amazing tool that I wish I'd known about for the other side!

Here's a close-up of the 'good' ball joint. I really ripped up the boot with the pickle fork, before using the special tool. Lesson learned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back