Talked With Senior Gm Tech About E-Core Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran into an old friend and saw he had an ac delco e core on his front seat.. He is one of GM's top Techs that travels from dealer to dealer to figure out some of the hard to fix problems. He is up on all the latest GM things.
I asked him about the e core he had on his front seat and said it was for his wife's Cadillac i said i did not like them and he said they are the only way to go with some GM engines.. He hears from a lot of people that don't like them but he says they are built to flow very well and that is why GM uses them. He also said there were problems with some of them in the beginning but todays ac delco e cores are top notch and the only filter he will use on a GM..

Am i missing something here? Steve is really one of their top guys for over 25 years.. Did they improve the e core or something?

The cartridge filters for my Fusion are all e-core. I have used the MC 2017 cartridge for years and have never seen a flaw.

eCores are fine if the cage is made with small enough windows so the media doesn't blow out. Yes, in the beginning we saw quite a few reports of blown out media through the eCore cage. Don't see any reports of blown out media nowadays.

Not so sure an eCore center tube vs. one with lots of holes or good louvers is really going to flow any better. The media is usually the most restrictive part of an oil filter, not the center tube of base plate holes.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Am i missing something here?

You're missing one important minor detail: The e-core is made out of recycled sock hangers.

osh3021.jpg

Your old friend Steve? The guy who fixes all of GM's toughest problems. You happen to bump into him and I'll be darned, he had an oil filter sitting on the front seat. Was it not in a box or anything? You were able to identify it as being an e-core by seeing it on the front seat? Hey Steve, that looks like an e-core. If Steve is one of GM's top techs, why are you questioning his worth here?

I like the ecore I would use them if they made one for my Toyota Prius. Oil passes through them like crazy because of the big holes in the middle plastic part. I would buy them by the case. Engine Oil Filters are very important things to have many of. I think the ecore speeds up the oil flow it flows so fast through it. You can't beat it.

The company that continually shrinks the size of the filters on its largest engines, is allegedly obsessed with one filter because of its high flow properties?

I'd need a jackhammer to cut through that bull.

The inside structure of an Ecore and the inside of the Mahle filters I run in her car look quite similar. My experience with cartridge filters is quite limited so perhaps more look this way?

Lots of folks out there run Ecore issue free. Lets not forget the purists who strictly want OEM as well and dealers that use them too.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Your old friend Steve? The guy who fixes all of GM's toughest problems. You happen to bump into him and I'll be darned, he had an oil filter sitting on the front seat. Was it not in a box or anything? You were able to identify it as being an e-core by seeing it on the front seat? Hey Steve, that looks like an e-core. If Steve is one of GM's top techs, why are you questioning his worth here?

crackmeup2.gif
This!

And this.

140.gif

You guys are sooooo funny. The Ecore is a high efficiency and very low cost oil filter. It meets GM's requirements for flow and filtration and if it didn't, they would incure bazillions of dollars in warranty costs. That said, ANY domestic OES (and that is what AC Delco, Motorcraft and Mopar filters are Original Equipment Service filters, Not OE)are always the very lowest cost minimum spec parts that meet their warranty requirements. Are there better filters out there? Of course there are but OE's want to buy filters for 1=1.50$ and slap their names on them to make money. Will any of them hurt your engine? No, as long as you use the correct oil for your car and change when you should.

Come on. All automotive "top techs" leave their favorite oil filters unboxed on their front seat. It's common knowledge that it's a great conversation starter when they bump into their "crazy" BITOG friend.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Come on. All automotive "top techs" leave their favorite oil filters unboxed on their front seat. It's common knowledge that it's a great conversation starter when they bump into their "crazy" BITOG friend.

Pop, you've shown a fine dry wit that I didn't know you possessed.
Good post!

How come Honda orders a special filter from Fram with special media and a silicone adbv? Why don't they just order service Extra Guards and have the parts guys write Honda on them with a felt tip pen? Same for all the other auto makers. They do know what they are doing, if not, shouldn't buy that make. Thanks to the veterans on this day and every day.

bvance you always have something negative to say with everything i post.. I usually ignore you but lately i need some laughs so i welcome your sarcasm as long as you don't get too carried away and cheapen the board with your ignorant, jealous sounding comments. Im not questioning his "worth" here i am simply posting about something that has to do with this board...Oil Filters..

I'm guessing he was praising them because GM signs his paycheck and anything slanderous against their products could cost him his job.

Canned E-core filters tend to have much higher quality filter elements than the standard canned filter elements. They often appear as though they're cartridge filters adapted to the can. Another way of putting it is I've never really seen a bad cartridge filter, presumably because they're so visible, manufacturers wouldn't dare sell anything resembling the contents of an "orange can" as a cartridge; they couldn't get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back