talk me out of BFG Ko's Need a winter rated offroader Must aggressive one I can find

I am internet shopping a new set of tires.

Looking for the best bang for the buck tires.

Going on a humvee looking for load range D

37x12.5x17 What is the most aggressive tire around with a snow rating? If only they made a mud snow cross tire.

Last edited:

talk me out of BFG Ko's​

cant do it, they are my favorite tire, ever since the days of Ivan Stewart. Wrangler Duratracs perform better off road, but for an all around tire, BFGs are king. Wrangler MTRs would be cool too.

I guess it depends on snow performance needed. They are a great do everything kinda average tire, but as much as I wished it to be true, every BFG A/T I've owned, has sucked in the snow. I've owned a few sets too. Others will say they are great in the snow, but my experience I've been highly disappointed.

My snow experience with BFG A/T's was not good back in the day with an Isuzu Rodeo. The traction was OK, but in 4WD, it wanted push through the corners in deep snow, trying to go straight regardless of steering input. I only used 4WD when I got stuck as it felt pretty dangerous. I eventually replaced those tires with a highway tread pattern and got much better 4WD manners in the snow. It took a while, though, as I got over 60k miles out of the BFG's.

I'm waiting for the KO3s. 315 70 17 come out in August. Not sure about 37s. They are releasing them in phases. KO2s were great, I got them when they just got released almost 10 years ago.

Well for starters, make sure you get the KO3 as it drastically improved wet road performance over the older version. I despised my KO2s in the rain. I was looking at the Falken Wildpeak, but the weight of the new version jumped drastically. They are a heavy tire for their size. But, they are extremely durable. The KO3 weight jumped, but not as much. This was do to the fact they FINALLY increase the sidewall layers and strength to compete with the Wildpeak. Just got a new to me Frontier that has the factory Hankooks on it, which I won't replace immediately as they only had 16K on them. But I will be replacing them with KO3s.

Kanati trail hog AT4s. I don't have this tire but everyone I know who has them raves about their snow performance....and they make them in 37. I think they are around 390 bucks each in a 37.

I have Falken at3w's on my 03 Ram 2500, with the Cummins, I carry at least 450 pounds in the bed.
I've had several different brands on the truck and the most I've gotten was 32k out of any of them. The Falkens have 34k on them right now and have a solid 7/16" tread on them.
Great in the rain,snow and dry pavement. They do have a slight road noise but nothing terrible.
I figure I should get another 12 to 18 months out of them. At that point I'll be researching their at/4 tires.
Larry

I have Falken at3w's on my 03 Ram 2500, with the Cummins, I carry at least 450 pounds in the bed.
I've had several different brands on the truck and the most I've gotten was 32k out of any of them. The Falkens have 34k on them right now and have a solid 7/16" tread on them.
Great in the rain,snow and dry pavement. They do have a slight road noise but nothing terrible.
I figure I should get another 12 to 18 months out of them. At that point I'll be researching their at/4 tires.
Larry
Did you mean 7/32?

General Grabber ATx were the best all terrain I’ve ever used for winter.

Every tire has its gives and takes but those excel at snow traction and tread life. A friend of mine got 70k out of a set on a Chevy 3500 gas engine truck.

General Grabber ATx were the best all terrain I’ve ever used for winter.

Every tire has its gives and takes but those excel at snow traction and tread life. A friend of mine got 70k out of a set on a Chevy 3500 gas engine truck.

How were they in the wet?

I was fancying a set for my Duster next but I've seen a few tyre reviews absolutely slate them in the wet.

How were they in the wet?

I was fancying a set for my Duster next but I've seen a few tyre reviews absolutely slate them in the wet.
I was never out in my full size truck taking corners at 80 in the rain. I’ve had tires that would hydroplane just driving above 60 on wet roads and the ATx certainly did not do that.

So in my usage it was not an issue. Looking at the tread design of the KO2 and ATx I can see how they could have difficulty evacuating water. So I’m not saying the results were incorrect just not an issue in my application.

Snow and “most aggressive” don’t really mix well. Snow needs lots of siping, whereas aggressive tires use simpler, large tread blocks. If this is a pavement vehicle where snow matters, the BFG isn’t the tire. Michelin LTX M&S, continental terraincontact (I think that’s what it’s called), do well as snow-capable all seasons - and the continental is positioned as an all terrain (mine are great in the snow). If I recall, the Yokohama geolander G015 is a snow-rated all terrain that is an excellent tire all things considered. If you want more aggressive, I’d probably give the duratracks a shot, knowing that they have a near cult following, with the only downsides being sidewall strength and shorter mileage (they are also louder tires).

If on the other hand you are really using this on rock terrain, duratracks and the Michelins and the continentals all have sidewall issues on real off road work, and you may find yourself moving towards the heavier true all terrains, at the expense of real snow traction. I’d consider nittos in there then.

Lotsa love for the falken wildpeak also, though now that their prices have come up I don’t think they are as special as they used to be.

Back