Which winter tire would you choose out of these options?

hello, i have looking for winter tires for my truck, at this point that doesnt really matter at the moment and no reason for me to provide further details. out of these winter tires which would you say is the best. for some reason maybe the top top brands dont make tires for my size or load rating but this is all i can find. also prices are next to the product. i care mostly about ice performance i would say, not really going to be off roading driving on snow patches or anything my city does a good job of cleaning snow so all i really care about is ice or slickness. I wont be studding them btw

lt275/70/r18 is the size, i am ordering from pmctire canada which seems to have the best price and ive dealt with them b4
thanks!
Goodyear Winter Command Studdable - $296 cad
Firestone Winterforce LT - $255 CAD
Good Year UltraGrip ICE - $301 CAD
General Tire Arctic LT Studdable - $250 CAD
Hercules Tire Avalanche TT studdable - $240 Cad

these tires are all strictly winter tires and i obviously want the best performing tire but I also want the tire to last the longest too like for example lets say if tire A is the best performing but it will only last half the life of Tire B, however tire B is slightly less performing then obviously tire B is the better buy. So I guess I am kinda looking for longevity and performance the most

thanks!!!

Take a look at quattro tires , out of Quebec, They have the General Arctics for $244 each plus a 6% promo discount and free shipping.
Out of the tires listed i think i would take the Generals.

The Generals are the best value. Good wear and traction performance.

Regardless, make sure that the tires you buy meet the ASTM 3PMSF standard.

....i care mostly about ice performance...... I wont be studding them btw

Since you are not going to install studs, this significantly reduces the ice performance of the studdable tires.
The Goodyear Ultragrip ICE WRT does not depend on studs for ice traction and would probably give better ice traction than the other tires listed. But a studded General Arctic LT would probably outperform the GY on ice, especially around 0degC.

The Bridgestone Blizzak LT should be available in that size.

The Blizzak also has a mixed tread compound and they become all season tires 1/2 way through. So for a "strictly winter" tire I don't find them to have the best bang for the buck.

Given the parameters, I agree with SubLGT above. one of the GY choices and likely the UI.

Another vote for the General. Stay away from the Firestones. 3rd rate tire and will be loud in a couple years.

I like my General rt 43's as an all season tire. In the case of a pure winter tire I think the Good Year Ultra Ice Grip wins hands down in this group.

Would you consider the Nokian LT3? Nokian makes the best winter tires.

If you're not going to use the studs, you're better off with studless tires. But out of the choices you listed, most people here will say General

thx but out of stcok from the places i want to order from sadly, ill be getting wheels too and seems like pmc is great for the combos

1010 has the Blizzak LT in stock in your size 275/70-18, but it's limited stock. They also have the Toyo Open Country WLT1.

I've run the Blizzak, the Ultra, and the Arctic (currently) all on the same daily driver. I like the Arctic best for its performance/price.

For studless I would tend toward the Blizzak or Xice brands. Studded it would be the Generals.

thanks so much for all the replies!
if i do go with the generals, are they a winter tire the whole way thru? i dont want them to become an all season half way thru. if so, what tire is a winter tire most of the way?

thx

Cooper Evolution Winter with studs . Good tire at a low price . There's also the Cooper Discover Snow Claw ( SUV / TRUCK ) that can use studs . U.S. has rebate ( Ends 11/30 ) of $50 for both or Canada it's $50 for the Evolution Winter and $60 for the Discover Snow Claw . Ends December 31st .

Last edited:
Toyo Open Country WLT1- 306 CAD
Cooper Discover SnowClaw - $245

do these two options change anything?

thanks so much for all the replies!
if i do go with the generals, are they a winter tire the whole way thru? i dont want them to become an all season half way thru. if so, what tire is a winter tire most of the way?

thx

Lots of misinformation there. On the blizzaks they go from the multicell compound to a standard winter compound at a tread depth where you should be retiring them from winter service anyway. They dont turn into pumpkins at midnight.

Back