Taking my SuperTech oil filter back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filter size ALMOST matches the Honda, but it's slightly too small for the "H" metal cap wrench that I use for my Hondas.

Why can't they make it the same? I'm not buying another filter wrench just to use this filter (Wal*mart didn't have one anyway).

I'd rather spend the money on PureOne filters, which the cap fits perfect and I can remove & torque without any hassle.

(Not for my S2000, but for my Beater)

[ January 26, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

which filter are you taling about?? ST 2808 or the 3950??
I have a filter wrench that is universal, that clamps down on the filter only when you are torquing it. You should invest in an oil filter wrench similar to that.

quote:

Originally posted by mingchi96:
which filter are you taling about?? ST 2808 or the 3950??
I have a filter wrench that is universal, that clamps down on the filter only when you are torquing it. You should invest in an oil filter wrench similar to that.

I am talking about the ST2808.

If you understood where my oil filter is located, you would understand why it's so important to be able to use the 3/8" ratchet cap wrench.

I firmly believe in using a torque wrench to install the filter properly. On one of my cars, there is so much other stuff in the way I can barely get the ratcheting torque wrench to ratchet one click!

This is another reason I like the K&N oil filters, with the 1" nut on the end it makes for easy installation and removal. No special wrenches needed, just a ratchet set with a 1" socket. With the long extension it makes it easier than using an oil filter wrench on my wife's Civic.

They sell this wrench that clips onto the bottom of the filter and has a 1" nut for use with either:

ratchet (3/8" driver)
or a 1" wrench

I find that the ST filters are usually shorter than the OE filters, so the cap should fit in your application.

This way you don't spend $10 on a K&N - just $2 for a filter, and $2.50 for a one-time fee to purchase this wrench at wal m art.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
This is another reason I like the K&N oil filters, with the 1" nut on the end it makes for easy installation and removal. No special wrenches needed, just a ratchet set with a 1" socket. With the long extension it makes it easier than using an oil filter wrench on my wife's Civic.

Actually I hate the nut on the bottom of the K&N. I have 3 applications where the nut extension when couupled with a socket, 1/2 x 3/8 adaptor pus the drive head of the wrench causes difficulties with clearance between the fire wall in 2 cases and a bracket in the other. The nut does not allow me to use this wrench(#63600):
http://www.lislecorp.com/tools/catalog/filters/index.htm
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
They sell this wrench that clips onto the bottom of the filter and has a 1" nut for use with either:

ratchet (3/8" driver)
or a 1" wrench

I find that the ST filters are usually shorter than the OE filters, so the cap should fit in your application.

This way you don't spend $10 on a K&N - just $2 for a filter, and $2.50 for a one-time fee to purchase this wrench at wal m art.

I have four of those wrenches too actually, in different sizes. These four sizes work for all the cars I work on, in case I'm not using a K&N filter at the time (such as on my sister's and mom's car, or when I do an Auto-rx treatment on mine and want to use a cheaper filter)

Honda filters are a unique size, all other filters are the size of that supertech. I found this out changing the oil on a friend's Acura TL... The Honda filters are a proprietary size.

What I did was take the honda filter off with a pair of channel locks
grin.gif
Then I bought a normal filter wrench for all the other known to mankind standard filters.

btw, tightening it with your hand or a grippy glove is all you need - you usually dont need a wrench at all!!

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
The Honda filters are a proprietary size.

A size which should be matched by manufacturers who claim their filters replace the Honda part, IMHO. Honda makes one filter that fits all of their cars for the past decade or more. How many millions of cars is that? Look at all those different filters on the shelf. They can't make one perfect match for all those Hondas?

Purolator gets it right, and a cap wrench that fits a Genuine Honda filter will also fit a Purolator.

Also: What standards committee decides which sizes are "standard" and which are "proprietary?" There's a heck of a lot of different filters on the shelf at Pep Boys. The Honda filter is common enough that my cap wrench is a generic one from Pep Boys, not a Genuine Honda tool.

[ January 27, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: mph ]

worshippy.gif
PureOne.

Perfect size.
Good Gasket.
Great capacity.
Very good filtration.
Awesome Anti-Drainback Valve.

Aw hell, I'm not going back to Wal-Mart for a $1.97 refund... That's cheezy!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mph:
...A size which should be matched by manufacturers who claim their filters replace the Honda part, IMHO...

Are you kidding? The aftermarket filter manufacturers use the canister diameter and wrench facet protocols THEY'RE stocked with, NOT out of any necessity to match the OEM's case dimensions. (other than to insure that the case won't interfere with nearby components) Besides, that 2808 Champion/Lee/Champ/SuperTech etc. filter is used on a LOT of different make cars. So, which one should receive priority? When I bought my new Hyundai I was gratified to see that my stock of SuperTech 2808s left over from my previous Honda would still be usable. I agree with S2000driver that Honda doesn't always locate the oil filter in a place conveniently accessible to common strap-type wrenches. I got around this problem on my Accord by never torquing the filter tight with a wrench. I hand tighten it only enough to properly seal but still be able to remove it by hand at the next filter change. I hand tighten more than necessary initially to insure that the gasket is bottomed in the base plate, then back off to "loose". I then snug to about a 1/3 to 3/8 turn past first contact of the gasket to the mounting base. By the time it's necessary to remove it, the filter does require considerably more effort to loosen by hand, but, it's manageable. The first filter change from the factory-installed filter was "interesting", but I eventually managed to gain purchase on the filter with a BIG pair of ChannelLocks. Subsequently, with the procedure I use, I neither had a leakage problem, nor did I ever have reason to -again- utilize my considerable "descriptive" vocabulary skills at oil filter change time. But for those shade-tree mechanics who still insist on torquing an oil filter to within 0.0001 ft-lb of cracking the block, go for it.
grin.gif

[ January 29, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back