Tacoma 2.7 2019 timing chain tension

Hello friends I bought a 2019 tacoma 2.7 brand new in 2019 its been an amazing spare truck and has an easy life hauling a dirtbike occasionally when it doesn't warrant getting a 1 ton out of the barn .....regular oil changes with STP Amalie for 99% of its life with 5k to 6k intervals

It just developed a cold soak rattle on start up ..... only after a long cold soak like overnight....never during the day after first start up

It sounds like the internal chain tensioners loose pressure and rattle pretty bad now every morning the bad noises last about 35 to 40 seconds until the oul builds back up to pressure

I'm gifting this truck to my son who gets his license in about 4 months

Anyone have one of these 2.7 engines was this a common deal truck just literally hit 107k?

Guess I'm going to tear it down to the tensioners and go back with new......hopeful this will last at least another 100k after

Thoughts ?

750k miles on an '05. 150k miles on an '18.
All 2TR-FE. Never heard of this problem.

They like to rattle to let you know they are alive. Don't be afraid of rpm's. I know you aren't.

Teach your son about this wonderful thing called durability in the 2TR-FE. Fixing the tensioner rattle for him will be time and money well spent.

750k miles on an '05. 150k miles on an '18.
All 2TR-FE. Never heard of this problem.

They like to rattle to let you know they are alive. Don't be afraid of rpm's. I know you aren't.

Teach your son about this wonderful thing called durability in the 2TR-FE. Fixing the tensioner rattle for him will be time and money well spent.
Yes Sir its pretty strange it started it at about 80k and was just a whisper at first now its concerning also gives the low oil light on very cold days for about 5 sec

Call me crazy but have you tried a different brand of oil filter just to see if it makes any difference, before you take it apart?
I did try the highly praised mobil euro 0w40 since the thick vs thin debate was stewing in my little brain ........it only made the noise longer

I am thinking it may be losing its oil pressure 100% on these cold soaks maybe a o ring in the pickup tube or something of the sort

My next bet would be the Vvt gear assembly

And i did break from my normal filters a few changes ago just in case .......no change
STP premium silver can up to about 75k
Toyota genuine (denso) no change
Mobil 102 no change
Fram orange no change

Currently running Yota genuine filter and
Mobil 0w20 full syn ......worse than ever

I do not believe it to be an oil issue in the sense that the truck was not neglected or abused

Not familiar with that engine, but if it has VVT, might need a new gear. The newer 1.8 Corollas would exhibit this issue due to a failed cam gear.

Not familiar with that engine, but if it has VVT, might need a new gear. The newer 1.8 Corollas would exhibit this issue due to a failed cam gear.
Thank you Critic I was hopeful you or Trav would chime in......... what is your take on why it's only on a long cold start?

Same rattle this morning only not as bad as a colder morning or a longer down time
I have even tried different positions in the drive/shop thinking it may effect it when it's at different angles

Longer the down time louder and longer the rattle

Long down time and 45 or colder will even get the low oil display for a few seconds

I'm checking with my parts guy now to get a few things in line to take it apart before it gets any worse ...... good times me and my youngest son

Gonna say this is the first hearing of an extended rattle in these. Normally the 2.7 will truck right along with no issues in the millions of Tacoma's they're in. Even a friends old '95 2.7 4WD Tacoma is pretty darn quiet. I'm interested to see what you find.

We've owned several 4 cylinder Toyota's over the years and they all a quick startup rattle cold till the oil pressure got to the tensioner, but nothing extended. Never heard it on all 3 V6 Tacoma's I've owned, 4.0 and 3.5's.

Also for context it never occurs after the first start up in the morning.......not even 4 or 5 hours is long enough but more like 8 to 10 hours

Sometimes it sits for days not used

Moden timing chains and VVT are the demise of the ICE.......I had a few dodge 4.7 works trucks for period of time so here we go again

Also for context it never occurs after the first start up in the morning.......not even 4 or 5 hours is long enough but more like 8 to 10 hours

Sometimes it sits for days not used

Moden timing chains and VVT are the demise of the ICE.......I had a few dodge 4.7 works trucks for period of time so here we go again
It's probably just a dud. Sounds like you are on the right path replacing it and moving on. I'd hate to have a car without VVT, an excellent addition to the ICE IMO.

I have a 2.7 in a 2009 Venza with over 145 thousand. I don't remember when but its been awhile ago that I went to 5w30, and several 0w40 changes when it was on sale. I had a little rattle on start (nothing like the OP) but since going up on the oil viscosity it hasn't happened again. That former family ride is now taking the daughter to college in the fall. I have full confidence in it.

I did try the 0w40 Euro for 4kish run in the summer it made no difference that being said I only went one cycle with the 0w40 then back to 0w20

I am studying up on the timing system and parts as well as the tensioners it almost certain to be losing the hydraulic pressure on these long down times

If it has been warmed up I would not hesitate to drive it around some but this is a spare truck and most every start up now she has been sitting for a few days so the problem shows itself each start up

No filter change has solved the issue I can only say that brand new fresh oil and filter only make a very marginal difference audibly if any other than placebo

2019, it should be under power train warranty?
No even if so I never let anyone touch my engines internally with the exception of my machine shop

The study of this engine begins it is one small issue that once cured thus 2.7 should go another 107k before it happens again I at all

I should mention other than a few rattles the little 4cyl taco has been an amazing truck zero issues ever until this rattle

The rattle, along with extended oil pressure light duration is rather odd. I don’t think a tensioner would cause that. They do not hold much oil and build pressure rapidly, 40-50 seconds doesn’t seem right.

Perhaps the rattle is a symptom rather then the cause. The oil pump may be loosing pressure. I wonder at what psi it runs.

Back