2017 2018 F150 / Raptor Navigator Expedition cold start rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is new guidance from Ford Lincoln for those interested...

SSM 48168 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise On Start Up After A Cold Soak
Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-Apr-2019 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a ticking, tapping, or rattle type noise from the top front cover area of the engine that last 2-5 seconds on initial start-up after a cold soak. This may be due to a worn variable cam timing (VCT) unit. A TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the powertrain control module (PCM) calibration. Do not replace timing chains, tensioners, guides or other timing related components unless inspection clearly identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim the labor required to replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Monitor OASIS for updates.

Really? I've said it before and I'll say it again: that 3.5 EB is a trash motor. They've been having VCT issues since they came out in what, 2010? Earlier? How in the world have you not figured this out yet?

Same went for the 3V 5.4.

Que the Ford fans claiming "My xyz had 300k on it with no VCT issues". I don't care. Junk motors through and through.

I would say 2010 - 2015. The 2016 and 2017 Ecoboost should be ok. As for the 2nd gen they might have solved it.

Your statement is generally correct with a few exceptions. I do know that police departments go with the non-Ecoboost versions more so...

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Really? I've said it before and I'll say it again: that 3.5 EB is a trash motor. They've been having VCT issues since they came out in what, 2010? Earlier? How in the world have you not figured this out yet?

Que the Ford fans claiming "My xyz had 300k on it with no VCT issues". I don't care. Junk motors through and through.

"motor"

Originally Posted by john_pifer

"motor"

Engine guys and died in the wool car guys call engines Motors.

And the dictionary reflects that.

Forget that pencil neck science professor who said:

Piston = Engine

Armature = Motor.

Motorcycle

Motocross

MotorCraft

Motorboat

Motor Oil

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I've had VVT issues across multiple platforms. Toyota, Nissan

Its a VVT general issue. and they don't like dry starts after oil changes.

The only engine where I didnt have percieved VVT issues have been Subaru FB engines and

A honda 1.5L .in my 2012 FIT

The Honda had vTEC and fixed cams
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

"motor"

Piston = Engine

Armature = Motor.

Motorcycle

Motocross

MotorCraft

Motorboat

Motor Oil

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

That's funny. My experience has been the exact opposite.

All the guys I've known who know what they're talking about call ICEs engines.

The guys who call it a "motor" generally don't know their [censored] from a hole in the ground.

Ford Motor Company

General Motors

Mitsubishi Motors

Toyota Motor Company

Honda Motor Company

...........and many more.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Ford Motor Company

General Motors

Mitsubishi Motors

Toyota Motor Company

Honda Motor Company

Ha ha. Guess you have a point.

The reason for my post is to simply provide this information to those who need it. In this case my car for 2019 was in the shop for a month over this problem. This might be a solution.

General Motors has its share of problems. I did own a Suburban at one time. The car brand with the least problems is Toyota. The other bit of advice I can provide is after any redesign or major part change...engine...trans...wait 3 model years. Usually by the 4th year they gave gotten rid of the bugs.

Last edited:
I might add here that if you Google cold start rattle you will find this is a problem across all brands most especially higher miles older engines...its not just Ford. In my case this happened around 84000 miles.

Here is a good example. The Toyota 4 cylinder engine is known for its reliability yet at 100000 miles its rattleing...

Really the data does not agree with your opinion. I am certain you know the difference.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

"motor"

Piston = Engine

Armature = Motor.

Motorcycle

Motocross

MotorCraft

Motorboat

Motor Oil

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

That's funny. My experience has been the exact opposite.

All the guys I've known who know what they're talking about call ICEs engines.

The guys who call it a "motor" generally don't know their [censored] from a hole in the ground.

Well, I am a professional, and though even old and feeble,
I just finish rebuilding a 340-4 buick V8 this past Sunday - believe it or not.

So take you elitist aggression elsewhere. I came of age in Andover, MA with Jay Leno in the early 70's.

So this just ain't your Sow Cackalackey yipper.

Many uses of language in a colloquial lexicon are well accepted.

Must be learned behavior from ....somewhere in the recent years.

Cambridge English Dictionary

motor meaning: 1. a device that changes electricity or fuel into movement and makes a machine work

Merrian-Webster:

Definition of motor (Entry 1 of 3)
1: one that imparts motion
specifically : PRIME MOVER
2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: such as
a: a small compact engine
b: INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE
especially : a gasoline engine
c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3: MOTOR VEHICLE
especially : AUTOMOBILE

Not trying to beat the horse here but the engineers at MIT agree.

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/...ifference-between-a-motor-and-an-engine/

Motor might have been a old term that has carried in through the generations while engine is the newer term. They are considered synonyms.

Our language evolves over time as explained in the article I linked. A engineer used to be a specific job. Now it's used in various ways.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Ford Motor Company

General Motors

Mitsubishi Motors

Toyota Motor Company

Honda Motor Company

Ha ha. Guess you have a point.

That may be from the Brits. They call cars "Motor" for nick.

You pull up in a new Civic R and the bloke says, 'nice motor, who you roll for that'?

Have a good new year John P. No malice intended from me.

I'm hitting the Champagne hard. Bad day.

Veuve Clicquot Brut.

Exported from France for For the brutish
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back