T-IV ATF

I service a vehicle that the original transmission fill was type IV. When I look online using just the vehicles make/model/year/engine etc...I get every fluid known to man it seems as the specified fluid. Everything from the old Dexron II to the newest Mercon/Dexron and all the one size fits all brands. Why? Can I use anything I want and not care? AISIN 09 automatic. Been used in a plethora of vehicles for a long time.
Sort of like the TF727 in my '64. It just don't care and advises using kerosene in extreme cold.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Umm... what exactly do you mean by type IV? Maybe Dexron VI? Or Toyota type T-IV?

Edit... I see you edited your post while I was replying and mean the Toyota fluid.

You can use Idemitsu TLS in place of T-IV as it's the same stuff supposedly.

Toyota T-IV is not Dexron III/VI and Toyota clearly states in a TSB they are not compatible.

You can buy Toyota T-IV fairly cheap on Amazon and even at the dealer, Mobil ATF 3309 is also acceptable.

I have been using the Toyota T-IV. What confuses me is the abundance of retailers and internet sellers specifying other types of ATF.
2016 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4motion

Back