T-IV ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the least expensive place to buy this stuff and are there some that I should stay away from? Wal-Mart's Supertech brand has one that says it's classified as a T-IV, but is it any good? I've also seen the Toyota brand T-IV sold on ebay for like $18 for 4 qts, which seems like a good deal, but some have said it's not very good fluid...I just don't feel like paying $6 a qt for the stuff....

18 for four quarts doesn't sound bad, that's about what my dealer wants for it. Castrol Import or MaxLife are common replacements. T-IV is just a Dex III like ATF that passes jaso-1a spec.

Castrol Imports is the only one I've seen that states it meets T-IV. I just go to the TOYOTA dealer and buy T-IV. Last time I bought it was ~ $5.xx per quart.

So nobody knows if the Wal-Mart stuff is any good or not?

ATF that is actually T-IV (also Mobil 3309) isn't good for anything else, and is a medium quality ATF.

There are many near-universal ATFs that are "recommended" by the fluid maker as being "suitable" for transmissions that spec T-IV, and do a good job. But they aren't real T-IV/3309. The choice is yours.

Do you want cheap fluid or good fluid or very good fluid? How long do you want to keep it in service? How hard will you work that transmission? How long to you expect to continue to own that Toyota?

The Wal-Mart branded stuff is usually OK. Not great. You can buy better, but maybe not cheaper. If your answers to the questions above are all at the lower end of the scale, buy the W-M fluid.

It appears the Toyota brand T-IV is priced about the same as the Supertech...is it better? I'm not having much luck finding any info on these particular brands as far as how good or bad they are...

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
$4/qt at my Stealership

Where is that? I usually buy mine at a Toyota dealership for $5/qt.

Still no info about how good or bad either the Toyota or Supertech T-IV is....

Originally Posted By: Ken2
ATF that is actually T-IV (also Mobil 3309) isn't good for anything else, and is a medium quality ATF.

There are many near-universal ATFs that are "recommended" by the fluid maker as being "suitable" for transmissions that spec T-IV, and do a good job. But they aren't real T-IV/3309. The choice is yours.

Do you want cheap fluid or good fluid or very good fluid? How long do you want to keep it in service? How hard will you work that transmission? How long to you expect to continue to own that Toyota?

The Wal-Mart branded stuff is usually OK. Not great. You can buy better, but maybe not cheaper. If your answers to the questions above are all at the lower end of the scale, buy the W-M fluid.

Nothing wrong with the Mobil made Toyota fluid. I use it with no problems, it`s the people that neglect changing out the fluid. Their the ones that may have problems.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Castrol Imports is the only one I've seen that states it meets T-IV. I just go to the TOYOTA dealer and buy T-IV. Last time I bought it was ~ $5.xx per quart.

Overview
MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

I prefer the way my Aisin 6 speed shifts and drives with MaxLife over Castrol Import Multi and Genuine T-IV.

Of course, it's a melange of the 3 now. But there was a noticeable difference when I did the 90,000 mi transmission service and it stayed the same when I did the 120,000 mile service.

Quote:
MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF...

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

I'm leery of products that claim the wide spectrum of applications that Valvoline MaxLife ATF cites. I find it hard to believe there is that much overlap among all these applications. It is for this reason I don't use Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

Still no info on the Supertech...there's got to be someone who uses this fluid...give me some feedback on it....

It would really help if we knew "why" you want a T-IV? What are you putting it in that requires a T-IV? Some AW, I suspect...

I am strict on the use of a JWS-3309 fluid in my Volvos, they require it and the AW55-50SN trans is known for "issues", but I have none of those issues because I do a cooler line flush every 30K with genuine Toyota T-IV (which I buy at my local dealer and which meets JWS-3309). Is it "medium" or "good" or "really, super, kind of good dino/synthetic"...I really don't care...

It meets spec, it works, the trans is up to 163,000 miles (in the XC, 138,000 in the T5) with no issues while I hear the crying over failed transmissions from all the other XC owners on the forum I belong to...

Just buy a case @ the at the Toyota dealer.
It's Mobil 3309. It's the same.

Save some shipping and grief, and bite the bullet.

To answer your question, you get what you pay for.
Would you let Wal-Mart "techs" change your oil? Supertech is cheap. Again, you get what you pay for. Obviously the choice is yours, good luck.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Still no info on the Supertech...there's got to be someone who uses this fluid...give me some feedback on it....

Go somewhere in appalachia and ask around. That's where they use it...

Originally Posted By: 98FORCEDFIVE
grampi said:
Go somewhere in appalachia and ask around. That's where they use it...

Yes, please do ask the people in Appalachia regarding the use of Supertech fluids; if you do, I guarantee they will ask you if you have a problem they can help you fix, and they will do everything they can to help you in any way, as people there still have a sense of community and help one another as a rule of life. The difference between asking people there and the "people" here in "So. Nevada" (Henderson / Las Vegas) is that people here won't lift a finger to help you, although I am not so sure that is such a bad thing since most people here are lacking in the intelligence department.

I have lived all over the world, including Appalachia, and am here to tell you that jokes about the fine people of the Appalachian region are largely unfounded.

Stepping down from my soap box....

By the way, I have been using AMSOIL ATF in place of T-IV in my Toyota for the last 104,000 miles with no problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back