"Synthetics have 700 times the shear strength"

Status
Not open for further replies.
High-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS) viscosity, per Shaeffer Oil: "(A motor oil with) excellent high temperature/high shear performance provides excellent oil film thickness and engine protection at high operating temperatures and shear rates, while minimizing lubricant frictional resistance."
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...ure+high+shear+rate+HTHS+motor+oil+4683&hl=en

Texaco's take on HTHS viscosity: "An indicator of a motor oil's resistance to flow in the narrow spaces between rapidly moving parts in fully warmed up engines. The most common test here is ASTM D4683, which simulates the conditions found in an engine's crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, as well as other narrow regions. This measurement has important implications for such factors as engine fuel economy, valvetrain wear and bearing protection."
http://www.texacoxpresslube.com/carcare/article_viscosity.html

HTHS ASTM D4683 (Higher is better.) Surprisingly modest differences for this particular test.

Pennzoil 5w-20: 2.65
Pennzoil 5w-30: 3.1
Pennzoil 10w-30: 3.2
Pennzoil 10w-40: 3.7

Pennzoil Syn 5w-20: 2.70
Pennzoil Syn 5w-30: 3.07
Pennzoil Syn 10w-30: 3.20
Pennzoil Syn 5w-50: 4.29

Kendall 5w-20: 2.6
Kendall 5w-30: 3.0
Kendall 10w-30: 3.1
Kendall 10w-40: 3.6
Kendall 20w-50: 4.3

Kendall Syn 5w-30: 3.1
Kendall Syn 10w-30: 3.2
Kendall Syn 5w-40: 3.8

ester based Silkolene PRO S and PRO R products
ASTM D4683 (Test Temperature 150 degC)

Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 = 4.07cp

Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 = 5.11cp

Silkolene PRO R 15w-50 = 5.23cp

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

Once a guy correct him on the viscosity of gear lube as compared to PCMO and he seemed pretty annoyed by it.
He was corrected by an email,maybe sent by one of you guys from Falls Church VA?

Well, we do have a member in Falls Church, VA. **** in Falls Church - was that you?

I should note that '7 times' is 700%, so perhaps someone heard/read wrong. That being said, C-H, C=C bonds do not weaken or get stronger based on how the molecule is formed.

Some may say 'but the tiny bit of impurities in dino oil make the molecules weaker' which is a *maybe* at best - some impurites might bond to hydrogen or carbon stronger....

The real reason for any difference on the falex machine would be the amount of EP additive (first order) and the overall uniformity of the chain lengths (second order)

Order me up some 5-30 dino base stock and 5-30 syn base stock and try to find a major difference.

Besides, the falex test is 100% useless for a motor.

I haven't heard Goss on the show mentioned but I did find a piece in the Internet (cant remember the site) where people were asking him questions.
One of the questions was regarding synthetic and dino oils.The question was basically,which is the best? Goss overwhelmingly stated that synthetic was.While synthetic oil is good and may be recommended in Corvettes etc.,dino does very well for most of the rest of us.
It seems that Goss really likes to push the synthetic stuff.
Dont get me wrong,I am not putting synthetics down,I am only saying that there are some VERY good dino oils out there and most of us dont need syn.
I think that he should have stated such.It just seems that Goss is extremely pushy in the area of synthetic oil.
I do see him on the TV show Motor Week.
I am not to impressed with him.While he may be a very knowledgeable man,he seems to 'talk down' to people watching the show.He does this by making the simplest things sound like monumental endeavors that no one should attempt to do.
While I agree that some repairs etc. can only be done by a mechanic and should be done by so,we also know that much can be done by the car owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back