Synthetic vs. Paper, Some Interesting Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All the Wix filters that I use claim to have paper media whereas the Napa Gold specifically states it uses synthetic blended media."

Sometime in the past year or so Wix supposedly switched to its new "T03" or "T-03" cellulose/synthetic media, although there's a boatload of old stock (pre-T03) filters still at Wix retailers. "WIX prescription blended oil filters come with glass-enhanced material woven into the cellulose-based media..." Can't find it on their own website, but it's mentioned in the site below. "Everyone" believes Wix is identical to Napa Gold and Carquest Premium Blue, at least that's the current wisdom.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3102/is_10_123/ai_n6334293
http://www.carquest.com/oil_filters.htm

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
So how does a spiral wrap help the filter from flexing inward?

It doesen't. It reduces lateral pleat flex, not fore and aft.
smile.gif

quote:

Also these cartridges don't even use a core and are rated from 150psi to in line hydraulic pressures of 6000psi.

What, no core, how is that possible?
shocked.gif

Well, according to the brochure there is a "Media Substrate Support Layer"(ie core). It appears to be constructed out of cellulose or a like material. I would think this is made possible because of the "In-To-Out Flow Path" which does necessitate the use of an "outer element cage" incorporated into the filter housing.
smile.gif

"I wonder if the ones I've been getting from Filter1.com are the new T03 or the old paper media?"

The newer Wix filters have the T03 media and an orange anti-drainback valve visible. The older version has a full-paper media and black nitrile ADBV. Note that even the old filters are still a very well made product with good filtration.

quote:

I wonder if the ones I've been getting from Filter1.com are the new T03 or the old paper media?

You could always call WIX Technical Service: 1-800-949-6698 - with the production date off your filter.

301/ B/ 3/ F
Day/ Year/ Shift/ Line

This code says this filter was produced on the 301st day (Oct.28th) of 2001 on the 3rd shift on line F. The designator for the year produced will go to letters i.e. 2001 is B, 2002 is C, 2003 is D etc. This change in format will also be used for cartons. {WIX Tech Bulletin}

Here's a "WIX news" article from Sept 2001 speaking about the introduction of the silicone ADBV into their standard line, and into the NAPA Gold and Carquest Blue branded filters produced by them.
Here

[ December 16, 2004, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

FYI, and FWIW, I cannot find any numbers on my recently purchased Napa Gold black filters (red ADBV) except the bar code on the label. Among the white ones in the same order (black ADBV) some had a number like that and some didn't. The two that didn't had numbers like 090905F2 17:11 and 070705C3 00:01.

Jim:
The date code is there it's just hard to see, since it is in a matte black ink. We've since started changing to laser etching.

090905F2 17:11= 9/9/05, MFG line, shift, time filter was coded.
070705C3 00:01= Same

So this was the same Caterpillar that has a tech bulletin out on not pre-filling filters with oil..and they get poo-poo'd in here...

But with a flexing of media claim, waaahooo..

How often does one think it occurs number one?

And the multi-pass test does not fluctuate flow pressures. So the original post(er) has two different tests mixed up.

Most filters with the dome end by-pass valve have an anti drain. Any contaminanat "flexed" off the filter would be retained within the filter itself. And as it was captured once..would be recaptured by the media.

Or does anyone know that flexing media has caused irreputable harm to any engine out there?

Yes, companies like Pall use spiral wrapping on the elements. However, hydraulics systems can have many more pressure surges than your basic oil pump. And at higher flow rates. Much higher.
So it's apples and oranges to compare the two.

Instead of spiral wrapping a number of hydraulic filter manufacturers are using a polypropylene netting around the outside of the element to provide full media support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back