Synthetic or High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moto94536
Hey guys this is coming from a guy with 2006 Toyota Camry v6 391,000 miles. I have used synthetic, blend, Dino. The last oil change when I used Mobil 1 synthetic, I can see it leak little bit when I filling the new oil.

Now I use Mobil super 5000, and do 5k oci. I didn't see any leak what so ever. And I always want to use regular oil anyway, cause it is cheaper, and good for someone who do 5k oci.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
This is not your average camry, you can't compare the 92-02 V6 to any other camry, since its a sludger!

I know about the problem an my camry has ZERO sludge in the motor.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Badbul, time schedule is fine for twice a year on both of fleet... March and September should keep you out of the snow or maybe April/October... Your engines, good full synthetic oils, oil consumption top-offs, oversized filters.... really will do plenty to lower your oil change interval from 3x a year to 2x a year.

Check to see if you have knock sensors on the fleet of engines. If so, there is enough timing to prevent the so-called over-hyped carbon buildup with premium fuel. Use premium for the summer months, midgrade for fall/spring, and regular during the winter. My Toyota's tend to be a little weak during summer months with the A/C on while using regular. Premium cures the issue every time. Regardless of which octane you chose, stick with http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Both engines should be able to fit an oversized 3/4-16 filter, which provides plenty of media for longer intervals. I've used the PH3600/FL400s/51516 sized filter on multiple 4 and 6 cylinder Toyotas. It'll take about a cup more of oil at the oil change interval. No need for fancy overpriced synthetic media filters.

Oil top-offs for oil consumption will also refresh the oil and reduce the need for extra oil change intervals.

Save a little time and money by maintaining twice instead of 3 times per year. But, over maintenance has never hurt an engine. I don't care for the SAE paper argument, usually a good read or study but too many variables left out. If you don't mind wrenching, keep what you're doing. But, with a good synthetic, oil top offs,.... oil should be fine with 6 month interval instead of 4 month interval.

RoyalPurple, Pennzoil, Mobil1, Valvoline... have full synthetic high mileage oils.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-high-mileage
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/full-synthetic-motor-oil/3
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hmx-high-mileage-motor-oil/
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/oro/hi-syn5-30.jpg
If someone has the link to PlatinumHighMileage info, please post it.

I don't like to let the camry go over 5,000 miles between oil changes due to the fact that this year engine has a sludge problem. I have no sludge in my motor, and I would like to keep it that way. I have talked to Toyota (not the dealer) and they have told me my service intervals is what is keeping my engine from building up sludge. When I use to use dino oil, I changed the oil every three months. One time I only had 700 miles between oil changes during that three month period.

I have used regular 87 octane the entire life of the vehicle and have never had a problem. I'll switch to 91 and see what if anything changes.

There is no need to add any oil during my 4 month intervals.

Thanks for the great information...

Originally Posted By: tig1
My grandsons 2002 Camry has 200,000 miles and does 10K OCIs with Reg M1 5-30. Performs very well and uses a qt. about every 5-6K.

I might add that my Grandsons Camry(2002) is a supposed sludger, but his engine is very clean(he had to have the rear valve cover replaced a few months ago).

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Badbul

That's pretty cheap for Mobil 1. I would never do an oil change at 10,000 miles, I do seven or eight thousand miles per year. I change my oil every 4 months. Some times I don't even have 2,500 miles on the dash when I change it.

OMG, I change on mileage only... That's usually at around 18 months to get 8-10K which is OCI using M1 5W-30 EP...

The reason I don't do a 5,000 interval is, I don't want to get stuck changing my oil on my back, outside in the cold winter months.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: burchster13
I had a 92 Camry that I recently traded off with 280K on it. I got it about 4 years ago with 216K on it. Always ran Quaker state defy 10w40 year round and never had any leaks or sludge etc. Those 3.0 v6 are kind of a pain to work on. I never did the timing belt or the water pump but I cant imagine it being easy. It was one of the most reliable cars Ive had. My main commuter 35 miles to and from work

I bought my camry new in 2002 and the only thing I have replaced besides tires, wiper blades, brakes and a battery is the starter. That is because you can't hear the car running when I'm sitting in the car, I think the car is off and restart the car.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: fmia

I think unless your just short tripping almost exclusively there no need to change on a time schedule. Oil now will stay good for a long time probably at least a couple years I think. I'd go by mileage on my wife and my vehicals as we rack miles up like a fish sucks water. But I do every 6months on my moms Van cuz she does almost all short trips and never burns off the oil.

Two things scare me, cold winter months and sludge.
smile.gif

My grandsons 2002 Camry has 200,000 miles and does 10K OCIs with Reg M1 5-30. Performs very well and uses a qt. about every 5-6K.

I might add that my Grandsons Camry(2002) is a supposed sludger, but his engine is very clean(he had to have the rear valve cover replaced a few months ago).

Keeping up with oil changes will keep the sludger motor clean from sludge. Sounds like he is doing a great job with his camry.

Originally Posted By: Badbul
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
In addition to Mobil1 High Milage, there is now Pennzoil Ultra Platinum High Milage. Both are fine oils.

Just a thought, check your PCV system as they can cause oil consumption through the intake if clogged or otherwise not functioning properly.

Didn't know that Pennzoil also made a High Mileage synthetic. I love Mobil 1, but hate the price tag...

We do indeed have a full synthetic high mileage motor oil Badbul! This year we began producing Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 and 5W-20 with PurePlus Technology. The high mileage additive package blended with our natural gas base oil creates a unique and powerful motor oil that helps to reduce leaks and oil consumption. The Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is currently available at AutoZone's nation wide and is expanding to other national retailers and online retailers in the coming months. - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back