Synthetic or High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Badbul
Hello, I have a 2002 Toyota camry with 100,000 miles on her. The car has a 3.0 V-6 engine. I would like to know if I should continue using synthetic oil or should I switch to High Mileage Oil? I don't leak or burn any oil in this vehicle.

No burn or leak? Keep up with what you are doing.

I also have a 2007 camry four cylinder. I'm using synthetic oil in this vehicle also. She has 90,000 miles on her. She burns a quart of oil every 1,600 miles. Should I switch to High Mileage Oil and a different weight in order to stop or limit the burning of the oil?

No guarantee a HM oil or different weight would stop the consumption; but you could certainly try it. However 1qt per 1600 miles is not too bad and it also depends on your OCI. I would make the interval a multiple of 1600 miles to avoid draining fresh oil. (4800, 6400, 8000, etc)

Thanks for the mileage info. I typically wait until that quart is needed before changing the oil. This saves me $10.00.

Originally Posted By: SoNic67
Nothing at all with the 02, the 07 burns oil. I think this is very common in the 07/08 camrys.

Is not the year, it's the difference between a laid-back V6 and an overworked 4cyl (higher revs).

Back in 2007 Toyota rushed to get a new engine that would get better gas mileage into the 07 camry. They worked out the bugs in the 09 year. Thanks

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: SoNic67
Nothing at all with the 02, the 07 burns oil. I think this is very common in the 07/08 camrys.

Is not the year, it's the difference between a laid-back V6 and an overworked 4cyl (higher revs).

It is the year. The 07-08s are known for faulty rings. This goes for the Camry, Solara, RAV-4, xB and tC. I know this first hand with my '08. Other years hardly consumed any oil with the same engine.

Did you ever try a deferent grade oil to slow the consumption?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
In addition to Mobil1 High Milage, there is now Pennzoil Ultra Platinum High Milage. Both are fine oils.

Just a thought, check your PCV system as they can cause oil consumption through the intake if clogged or otherwise not functioning properly.

Didn't know that Pennzoil also made a High Mileage synthetic. I love Mobil 1, but hate the price tag...

Originally Posted By: fmia
Sounds like your good to use what ever floats your boat without worries.

Thanks
smile.gif

I love Mobil 1, but hate the price tag...

Your 1MZ-FE has a five quart oil capacity
Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 is available at Walmart for $23.88/5 quart jug.
That's $4.78/quart for an oil change that can be ran 10k.

Don't believe me? See here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3485218/

Now, with the money you've saved, make sure the PCV system is operating properly, and fill that tank with premium (at least 91 octane) gas.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Don't believe me? See here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3485218/

Now, with the money you've saved, make sure the PCV system is operating properly, and fill that tank with premium (at least 91 octane) gas.

That's pretty cheap for Mobil 1. I would never do an oil change at 10,000 miles, I do seven or eight thousand miles per year. I change my oil every 4 months. Some times I don't even have 2,500 miles on the dash when I change it.

What do I need to do in order to check the PCV system? I replaced the PCV valve about a year ago.

My camry requires 87 octane, I thought running 91 octane would just promote carbon buildup?

Last edited:
My grandsons 2002 Camry has 200,000 miles and does 10K OCIs with Reg M1 5-30. Performs very well and uses a qt. about every 5-6K.

That's pretty cheap for Mobil 1. I would never do an oil change at 10,000 miles, I do seven or eight thousand miles per year. I change my oil every 4 months. Some times I don't even have 2,500 miles on the dash when I change it.

What do I need to do in order to check the PCV system? I replaced the PCV valve about a year ago.

My camry requires 87 octane, I thought running 91 octane would just promote carbon buildup?

Wow

You dump serviceable oil just to pour in serviceable oil. Let me guess. You think your doing yourself some kind of favour too running such short intervals.

Cue laughter
The longer the oil is in the sump the LESS wear the engine sees,so your short intervals are promoting more wear,not less.
Before you start spouting off I suggest doing some digging here. There are at least 2 sae white papers that back up my statement. Read them
And stop being so wasteful

Originally Posted By: tig1
My grandsons 2002 Camry has 200,000 miles and does 10K OCIs with Reg M1 5-30. Performs very well and uses a qt. about every 5-6K.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Wow

You dump serviceable oil just to pour in serviceable oil. Let me guess. You think your doing yourself some kind of favour too running such short intervals.

Cue laughter
The longer the oil is in the sump the LESS wear the engine sees,so your short intervals are promoting more wear,not less.
Before you start spouting off I suggest doing some digging here. There are at least 2 sae white papers that back up my statement. Read them
And stop being so wasteful

I never thought of it as a favor, I typically change my oil on a time schedule instead of a mileage schedule. Sometimes I get 4,500 miles out of an oil change, sometimes only 2,500.

I do my oil changes in March, July and November in order to stay clear of the freezing winter days that we get in Jersey. I don't have a garage so I would need to lay on my back on the cold hard ground to do an oil change in December, January or February. And remember, I don't do one car, I do three.

Last edited:
Hey guys this is coming from a guy with 2006 Toyota Camry v6 391,000 miles. I have used synthetic, blend, Dino. The last oil change when I used Mobil 1 synthetic, I can see it leak little bit when I filling the new oil.

Now I use Mobil super 5000, and do 5k oci. I didn't see any leak what so ever. And I always want to use regular oil anyway, cause it is cheaper, and good for someone who do 5k oci.

Badbul, time schedule is fine for twice a year on both of fleet... March and September should keep you out of the snow or maybe April/October... Your engines, good full synthetic oils, oil consumption top-offs, oversized filters.... really will do plenty to lower your oil change interval from 3x a year to 2x a year.

Check to see if you have knock sensors on the fleet of engines. If so, there is enough timing to prevent the so-called over-hyped carbon buildup with premium fuel. Use premium for the summer months, midgrade for fall/spring, and regular during the winter. My Toyota's tend to be a little weak during summer months with the A/C on while using regular. Premium cures the issue every time. Regardless of which octane you chose, stick with http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Both engines should be able to fit an oversized 3/4-16 filter, which provides plenty of media for longer intervals. I've used the PH3600/FL400s/51516 sized filter on multiple 4 and 6 cylinder Toyotas. It'll take about a cup more of oil at the oil change interval. No need for fancy overpriced synthetic media filters.

Oil top-offs for oil consumption will also refresh the oil and reduce the need for extra oil change intervals.

Save a little time and money by maintaining twice instead of 3 times per year. But, over maintenance has never hurt an engine. I don't care for the SAE paper argument, usually a good read or study but too many variables left out. If you don't mind wrenching, keep what you're doing. But, with a good synthetic, oil top offs,.... oil should be fine with 6 month interval instead of 4 month interval.

RoyalPurple, Pennzoil, Mobil1, Valvoline... have full synthetic high mileage oils.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-high-mileage
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/full-synthetic-motor-oil/3
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hmx-high-mileage-motor-oil/
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/oro/hi-syn5-30.jpg
If someone has the link to PlatinumHighMileage info, please post it.

OMG, I change on mileage only... That's usually at around 18 months to get 8-10K which is OCI using M1 5W-30 EP...

I had a 92 Camry that I recently traded off with 280K on it. I got it about 4 years ago with 216K on it. Always ran Quaker state defy 10w40 year round and never had any leaks or sludge etc. Those 3.0 v6 are kind of a pain to work on. I never did the timing belt or the water pump but I cant imagine it being easy. It was one of the most reliable cars Ive had. My main commuter 35 miles to and from work

I think unless your just short tripping almost exclusively there no need to change on a time schedule. Oil now will stay good for a long time probably at least a couple years I think. I'd go by mileage on my wife and my vehicals as we rack miles up like a fish sucks water. But I do every 6months on my moms Van cuz she does almost all short trips and never burns off the oil.

"For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended."

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM33567U/pdf/Back.pdf

I'm going to make my next fill-up with premium unleaded and see if I can notice any difference or better gas mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back