Synthetic or Blend

Who says you can’t run the blend to 6500?

More worried about that filter. If you run the same filter the difference drops to $2.

Realisticly i would be comfortsble with 7500 mi on the blend and 10,000 mi on the D1.2 rated synthetic in my application with the same filter.

Would a synthetic blend basically be a group 2 oil with a sprinkle of group 3 throw in?

Call it a 70/30 but that would be highly dependent on the quality of the bases.

A very low end GII might have to be predominately GIII where as GiI+ might only need a very small amount of very affordable GIII.

I'm more making the point that the difference between a standard GF-6 Blend and a Dexos 1.2 Synthetic is down to $0.50 qt.

More worried about that filter. If you run the same filter the difference drops to $2.

Realisticly i would be comfortsble with 7500 mi on the blend and 10,000 mi on the D1.2 rated synthetic in my application with the same filter.
Fram EG is rated to 10k and now has a silicone as adbv. But it won’t matter what facts we bring to the table, your first post was already biased 😎

Fram EG is rated to 10k and now has a silicone as adbv. But it won’t matter what facts we bring to the table, your first post was already biased 😎

That wasn't an EG it was a Fram Defense and yes I admit by only spending $1.14 on the filter to make the price differential favor the blend more I was giving it a favorable playing field.

That wasn't an EG it was a Fram Defense and yes I admit by only spending $1.14 on the filter to make the price differential favor the blend more I was giving it a favorable playing field.
EG is like less than 3 bucks at Walmart. Also, who says the defense can’t be run out to 6.5k?

Call it a 70/30 but that would be highly dependent on the quality of the bases.

A very low end GII might have to be predominately GIII where as GiI+ might only need a very small amount of very affordable GIII.

I'm more making the point that the difference between a standard GF-6 Blend and a Dexos 1.2 Synthetic is down to $0.50 qt.
Nope, some syn blends add on a bit of group 4. Smittys did in their super flo and Cam2 blends but as of late switched to group 3. The blend base blends are all conjecture from us.

Bottom line, Ford specs syn blend for their lineup including turbos and high performance mustangs. Lots of those intervals go to 10k. Honda also specs syn blend for their vehicles. I think syn blend is a lot more capable than most here seem to think. If it meets spec, it can go the distance.

Das it mane

Nope, some syn blends add on a bit of group 4. Smittys did in their super flo and Cam2 blends but as of late switched to group 3. The blend base blends are all conjecture from us.

Bottom line, Ford specs syn blend for their lineup including turbos and high performance mustangs. Lots of those intervals go to 10k. Honda also specs syn blend for their vehicles. I think syn blend is a lot more capable than most here seem to think. If it meets spec, it can go the distance.

Das it mane

I was talking specifically about GII / GIII Blends which is what I thought his question pertained to. I was making the point that a higher end GII would need less GIII or a lower quality GIII to make it's goals.

A lot of people get the impression that a 10% GIII means a lower quality product but it might be just the opposite. It might be a very high quality GII+ with a very high quality GIII+ where as a 50/50 mix might be a moderate GII with a lower level GIII. As a matter of fact this is why Ford's first 5W-20 had such a high level of GIII.

I have three (5) qt. containers of 5W30 VML synthetic blend oil. I was planning on doing my next OCI with this oil up to 5K miles. Is 5K miles a good OCI change point?

Yes, it's valid particularly if you never come near the miles per OCI and are changing oil on time. E.G. dumping 1 year old synthetic with 500 miles is wasteful.

Perhaps usually, but not necessarily always

One Scenario:

1) engine with substantial blow by.
2) Acidic blow by contaminated oil sits all winter and
3) marinates the bearings giving them a nice etching.

If an older car or classic sits unused all winter / off season, then change the oil before the period of storage begins.

Z

What would be your reasoning for using a blend? Oil prices are competitive and most vehicles made in the last 2-3 decades will run fine on synthetic…...”

heck, cars made in the last 6 decades respond very well to full synthetic oils. Been using Mobil 1 15w-50 and 0w-40 in classic Jaguar e types, classic Shelby Mustangs and Cobras, and many other 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles made in the 1950’s-‘60’s.

All showing no oil consumption and little to no wear. Why use a blend with unknown % of synthetic when the real deal is working so well ?

Z

A while back I went to Blackstone's web page. The place where alot of people here send their oil for analysis. In their FAQ section, someone asked for the most part which type of oil do most of their people use in their vehicles ?. Their response was regular oil. It said IIRC, they didn't see enough difference in wear particles to justify the added cost of synthetic oils. And I didn't see any mention of blended oil in their response. I found that odd, when current thinking by most members here, feel their choice is getting them the most bang for the oil buck spent. Lots of claims out there of running cooler, cleaner, longer, quieter, and making your engine last longer. If your low on coolant, and top that off after an oil change, I can see you thinking it's running cooler because of the oil. Cleaner? that depends on the brand of filter. Longer?, depends on how you drive. Quieter? depend on how much noise your car makes in general, and your hearing. Longer lasting engine?, again how you drive and how you use your vehicle. Tow much ?, live in mountains?, drive in heavy city traffic all stop and go or all highway?. overloaded with junk?.,,

Perhaps usually, but not necessarily always

One Scenario:

1) engine with substantial blow by.
2) Acidic blow by contaminated oil sits all winter and
3) marinates the bearings giving them a nice etching.

If an older car or classic sits unused all winter / off season, then change the oil before the period of storage begins.
Only if the TBN past depleted when the car goes into storage.

Can I really make a case for using something other than synthetic now?

Blend - $16.77 per 6 qt
Synthetic (Dexos 1.2) - $19.65 per 6 qt

At only 17% more I'm really starting to wonder.
There are no legal requirements around what percentage the blend is. So you could get a blend that is 98% dino and 2% Synthetic.

Stick with synthetic.

There are no legal requirements around what percentage the blend is. So you could get a blend that is 98% dino and 2% Synthetic.

Stick with synthetic.

My understanding is its 10%. Regardless nothing magical about mixing lower quality GiI and GiII at a 50/50 ratio instead of higher quality GII and GiII at a 90/10 ratio to achieve the same standard.

Back