Synthetic oil, made from petroleum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to disagree with GV not being good lubricants by them selfs. If compared to any other base stock by itself they are at least as good if not beter. In fact one of the best natural lubricants while a rather dirty oil was Castor BEan Oil. It is pretty much considered an anti-sieve as well as an excellent lubricant and penatrating compound. It has some great anti-oxidant compounds as well. What makes it so good is the high concentrations of natural occuring ester's..... In fact as plant oils go this was one of the few that actualy worked from day one with out any fancy chemistry. It has taken a long time for products like RLI to be prodouced from other cheaper more available vegtable oils due to oxidation issues.

Now what I really like are man made ester's made from castor bean oil. As far as base stocks for automotive purpose's go I would put it up against anything as a base stock. I have always insisted that the VII's and additives for AW/EP/Oxidation Resistance/PH are the heavy lifters the oil is thier to cool, lubricate and form a hydro-dynamic wedge to float the parts. It is the additives that prevent corrision wear,wear from metal to metal contact,cleanliness etc..........

THe problem with many companies is that their are too many choics.....It is two easy to make a product that mostly GII or GII+ toss in some GIII and a small hit of ester's and bam cheap oil.....Bare minium additive package etc.......Marketit right and charge a premium for it and you make huge profits........

I would not have a problem with cheaper base stocks as long as the cost savings was passed on to the customer but how often does that happen.......

My problemis one of principal if you are going to tell me somethingis synthetic then it shouldnot have anything less then group 4 in it at all baring a carrier oil for the additives as M1 used to do. Today almost all additives Ihave been told come in an ester based pacakge for quarteed solubility in any and all products. For instance we all know RTS is a GIII oil and not more then 18 months ago I was paying $12.95 a gallon for it so I thought it a real value. I think it is just short of stealing to sell someone a GIII product at a premium price and call it a synthetic. If I tell you I am selling you gold but deliver lead you will not be happy. THeir is very little difference between lead and gold lss difference in fact then theiris between GIII and G-V. I believe in consistency and you can not have one slipper slip-shod standard for one things and tight standards for another.......Like wise a guy that has had a surgical gender reasignment is not a woman any more then a slack was derived GIII is not a true synthetic.

I wanted to add that if ester's where so bad at lubricating why are they used so extensivly in Aerospace and Racing?

In fact cost cutting and profit margins are what keep ester's off the PTC shelf. Amsoil started out with Diester Synthetics which I still think are great for automotive crankcase oil. PAO isnot even in the same class but it is more then good enough for automotive oils. M1 origanaly had a large amountof ester's in it in addition to PAO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
2. Group III can't be called synthetic in Europe.
Not true and never has been. I haven't seen any proof for these statements. Correct me if i'm wrong?

I have two different oils in my cars now and both where sold as fully synthetic and they are 100% group III. It's been like this for many years now.

Originally Posted By: finnautti
Not true and never has been. I haven't seen any proof for these statements. Correct me if i'm wrong?

I have two different oils in my cars now and both where sold as fully synthetic and they are 100% group III. It's been like this for many years now.

They [Group III] are called Synthetic Technology oils (at least in Germany and France). Group IV and V are called Synthetic or Full Synthetic.

Look at some of the PDS for ELF/TOTAL, Motul, Lubromoly/Liquimoly, Pentosin.

I am not as astute at the chemistry behind all this as those who already posted, but I could care less what they call it as long as it works. Market conditions have always set a price for a basic and premium product and Motor Oil is no different. I pay for a premium product that shows good wear and gives me longer life out of the product than the basic product. I could use dino 3-4 times a year at $17 per change, or Group III twice a year at $27 per change. Who cares what they call it, it works for me.

When I can purchase Group IV/V oils for about the same price as Group III, I'll look into if it works for my application. But the true PAO oils are priced at the high end of the stratosphere, and are way overkill for what I am trying to accomplish, I sleep well living in the middle price bracket with a good performing oil. Most consumers that have an auto that requires a Group IV or V oil are not changing their own oil anyway. And if it something you have a personal preference toward, you already know enough to make an informed purchase (i.e. avoiding Group III), so who cares what the governing bodies determined they can be called. Life if full of products that are marketed as something they may or may not be. It takes a consumer who wants to be educated to make the decision that will drive the good products to succeed, and the bad ones to fail.

Sorry for the soapbox rant. As far as an opinion from this average shade tree mechanic, group III is chemically reorganized enough to qualify as a synthetic in my book. They can call it Pig Snot if they want, as long as I still get good wear numbers I could care less.

This is why I switched from Castrol Syntec to M1 several years ago. Felt like Castrol scammed me......

The stupid Wikipedia page on synthetic oils has this misinformation on it.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

They [Group III] are called Synthetic Technology oils (at least in Germany and France). Group IV and V are called Synthetic or Full Synthetic.

Look at some of the PDS for ELF/TOTAL, Motul, Lubromoly/Liquimoly, Pentosin.
They are called what ever marketing people say. Some are more honest than others.

Some examples:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-991-fuchs-ti...#productDetails
Shell Helix Ultra 5w-xx are group III fully synthetics.
All Valvoline SynPower oils are group III blends and are called fully synthetics.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

The stupid Wikipedia page on synthetic oils has this misinformation on it.
Ok. Guilty has been found.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

What it comes down to is simply this: is a compound synthetic because it is a new molecule made by man that did not previously exist as is in nature, or is a compound synthetic based on how the molecule was formed, or what it was formed from?

There is no universally accepted answer to these questions since it all depends on how you define the word "synthetic", and therein lies the controversy. I could argue either side of this, but why bother - in the real world the definition of "synthetic" is a marketing matter, not a technical matter.

I should point out that the NAD ruling that "Group IIIs" are "synthetic" actually applied only to a specific Shell Group III+ base oil being used by Castrol at the time that was made from slack wax, more like the PAO process. Other Group IIIs may, by definition, differ from "non-synthetic" Group IIs by a single VI point. Not much of a distinction.

Tom NJ

Well said, and is what I've been trying to get at. When you do SO much "rearranging" of crude, for example Shell XHVI base oil, then I think it is pretty definitely "synthesized" product.

The other thing hinted at here is that Group III itself is a little wide-ranging. There are different types of "group III" oils, with things like Shell XHVI on one extreme. At least Group III isn't fragmented to the extent of Group V which includes a hodge-podge of practically unrelated chemicals.

API Base Oil Classification

• Group / Vis. Index / Saturates / Sulfur
    I.......... 80 - 120......or II......... 80 - 120..... >90% ..and III....... >120 ..........>90%.. and IV... PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin)
    V... Everything Else
    VI... Europe Only (ATIEL) PIO (Poly Internal Olefins)

• Companies also use their own marketing phrases: “Group 1-1/2” and “Group 2+” (II+ VI 110~120)
• “Group III” can be legally labeled “Synthetic”
- The word “Synthetic” is not part of the API Classification
- “Synthetic” is a marketing term, not a technical term

I don't give a rat's derrier about what the original building blocks of the oil were.
It is the final composition that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back