Synthetic Oil Getting Consumed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per my earlier posts:

Where are you buying Amsoil in Australia? Amsoil does not have an authorized dealer network in Aus, although we do export there.

You mention 3 cartons. Are they cartons of sealed quart (12 ea.) containers?

So you haven't changed the Amsoil yet? Are you still on the original Amsoil change?

Your mate mentioned that only ½ of the oil is drained during the change, is this true?

the crafts are relatively new and the compsumption should not last longer than 2/3 extra quarts if they go the full 100 hrs as recommended by the manufacture.
Pablo, you ask the source of the oil and I ask the filter # numbers and we get stonewalled, you can lead a horse to the water
dunno.gif

Quote:

Per my earlier posts:

Where are you buying Amsoil in Australia? Amsoil does not have an authorized dealer network in Aus, although we do export there.

You mention 3 cartons. Are they cartons of sealed quart (12 ea.) containers?

So you haven't changed the Amsoil yet? Are you still on the original Amsoil change?

Your mate mentioned that only ½ of the oil is drained during the change, is this true?

Hi there,

Yes, we did buy them in australia and yes there is 12 quarts in a carton. Yes they are sealed inthe original bottles.

Yes, I have changed the Amsoil once on top of all the top ups.

Just over half is changed in each change because it has a "dry sump" you can't drain all of the oil out...

I hope this clarifies the situation for you...

Frank

Quote:

the crafts are relatively new and the compsumption should not last longer than 2/3 extra quarts if they go the full 100 hrs as recommended by the manufacture.
Pablo, you ask the source of the oil and I ask the filter # numbers and we get stonewalled, you can lead a horse to the water
dunno.gif

We are away on an island on our boats and hence do not have the yamaha genuine part numbers of the oil filters with me...

When I get home, I can give this with you.

Frank

THANKS for taking the time to answer. Sounds like Aus now allows the guys to call themselves dealers. Also, looks like you have legit product. Have you asked the dealers about your problem?

I'm a dummy on your oil system - please explain why a dry sump system can't be 100% drained. 1/2 the oil just stays in the engine? Not a true dry sump?

Anyway - so you still have some old oil in the mix. I suspect this could have something to do with consumption. I'm guessing there is some fairly old oil still being consumed. I wish I knew more about the Yamalube - and that's my hunch, the two lubes don't play well together. Or rather a combination of things. The engine has fast, but loose, very flexible rings. The oil combo is somehow gumboing up the rings, just enough to allow oil to be burned, but not enough to ugly the plugs.

I propose three things for the three units:

1) See if you can completely drain ALL the oil, get a sample and run a UOA, run an inexpensive dino for a few minutes, drain ALL that out, then put the 100% Amsoil in.

2) Switch one back to Yamalube by just draining and adding.

3) Switch one to some other oil. Your choice, just drain and add.

A PITA, but report back.

Quote:

THANKS for taking the time to answer. Sounds like Aus now allows the guys to call themselves dealers. Also, looks like you have legit product. Have you asked the dealers about your problem?

I'm a dummy on your oil system - please explain why a dry sump system can't be 100% drained. 1/2 the oil just stays in the engine? Not a true dry sump?

Anyway - so you still have some old oil in the mix. I suspect this could have something to do with consumption. I'm guessing there is some fairly old oil still being consumed. I wish I knew more about the Yamalube - and that's my hunch, the two lubes don't play well together. Or rather a combination of things. The engine has fast, but loose, very flexible rings. The oil combo is somehow gumboing up the rings, just enough to allow oil to be burned, but not enough to ugly the plugs.

I propose three things for the three units:

1) See if you can completely drain ALL the oil, get a sample and run a UOA, run an inexpensive dino for a few minutes, drain ALL that out, then put the 100% Amsoil in.

2) Switch one back to Yamalube by just draining and adding.

3) Switch one to some other oil. Your choice, just drain and add.

A PITA, but report back.

I agree 110% with Pablo.
I had a similar experience with my Toro lawn mower, I was too lazy to drain the oil, I got the mower from the top of a trash heap 5 years ago, I just added 15w40 Amsoil every time I cut grass, for 3 years it took a small amount everytime,it smoked out the exhaust while mowing, until this year it finally stopped using oil and stopped smoking out the exhaust, glad I didn't take the engine apart to find the oil leak
ooo.gif
it has not used a drop so far this year, Guess the old oil finally burnt all away
laugh.gif

Australia has two distinct importers of AMSOIL and have divided Australia into two territories. They are independent of AMSOIL and the AMSOIL marketing system.

The Dry Sump System Yamaha use on the FXHO Waverunner has an oil pump driven off a reduction gear. One side of the pump supplies pressurised oil to the oil galleries the other side scavenges oil from the engine under crank area. The area is limited in size because it is mounted close to the bilge in the hull.

The oil tank has a drain back at approximately 2.5 litres capacity in the oil tank at the rear (and above) the engine. It is specified in the manual that you get approx 2.5 quarts out of a 4.5 quart system. The oil has to be removed using a vacuum pump bottle via the oil tank dip cap. THERE IS NO DRAIN PLUG ON THE SUMP PLATE.

Let me stress ... I am not too lazy nor poor to change the oil ... Yamaha specify 100 hr or 1 yr change intervals of the oil and 2 yr or 200 hr changes of the filter ....

I HAVE HAD 3 OF THESE CRAFT ... and have run them in via a ring leakdown tester and the approved Yamaha method.

My CHANGE INTERVALS have been the same for the Yamalube and the same for the Amsoil AND THAT IS .... every 25 hrs and I use a new Yamaha SUPPLIED filter each time as well !!! I'm on the second 25 hr change of the Amsoil but am now consuming oil.

ANd I say again as no has a real reason yet WHY just changine to the AMSOIL we are now using oil where as before these 3 craft HAVE NOT USED OIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the only way to prove it is the AMSOIL is to change one back as suggested and see if the high consumption stops .....

And NO ..you werent being stonewalled ... my life doesnt involve looking at this site every 2 hrs .... I was away with my family for a few days ... gimme a break !!!

Can anyone answer if the base oils used for the synthetic is a true viscosity W base oil i.e. IS the base oil in a 10W synth a 10W or does the additive package make it a 10W like the 30 designation ... ????

It seems like this Formula Marine oil is a 0w or 5w and we are consuming it ????

Regards
Anthony

The NOACK of WCT is under 5%. While I don't know the exact formulation of the oil, I doubt given this fact and a HTHS of 3.6, WCT is made from an ultrathin base and thickened with a ton VII's. WCT

I don't have the magic answer. But I still think it's related to leaving oil behind each change.

Quote:

It seems like this Formula Marine oil is a 0w or 5w and we are consuming it ????

No need to fear that, because the Xw is not the physical viscosity, just the cold crank simulator rating.

As others have stated, the cleaning effect can cause increased consumption. If enough cleaning takes place, it could weaken the oil's ability to form a better ring seal (due to the debris), which will cause oil to slip past and get burned. A lot of people have had this happen in their cars, lawnmowers, etc.

You said you're on your 2nd oil change with Amsoil, correct? Has consumption slowed any, since you've diluted the old oil more and more? It may take the 3rd or 4th 25 hour oil change to get mostly Amsoil in there.

Have you tried just replacing the filter instead of doing a full oil change? This has usually been a good "fix" for initial increased consumption after switching to Amsoil in other applications.

Sorry if I've asked the same questions that others have.

25hrs oci is not saving the engine from wear, I see that you are very concerened, let the oil do it's job for 100 hrs, Amsoil oil has been tested to last 240 hrs. keep adding oil until you burn out all the dino base oil that was mixed in.
you will not hurt the engine in any way.
not your fault the manufacture made it so you could not drain out all the oil
your 25hr interval is mot making things any easier

Just like ConfederateTyrant said, it may take a few oil changes or a filter change to test the clean up theory. You can change back to your original oil to see if that drops consumption as you suggested. In more than 20 years of experience I've never seen this have an immediate effect on oil consumption.

There has to be a reason for the oil to get out of the engine. The reason escapes us for right now. Hopefully something obvious may show up and solve your problem. Good luck. I hope some of these suggestions help.

I try to quantify the consumption as best as possible ...

I have topped off both of my craft to the full mark at operating temperature and will monitor the consumption over the next 5-6 rides to see if it lessens.

Dont get me wrong here ... I'm am not crapping on Amsoil, in fact the opposite ... we searched a good synth out and after seeing the FC-W spec went for it !!!

To prove that, we have to pay around $15 a quart for it where the Yamalube is around $9 ....

I really want the protection that the synth offers a 10,000rpm, 20 valve, twin cam engine producing 160hp from 1052cc ...

I'll re-visit as I get a result either way ...

One great thing about monitoring it ...we (my wife and I) get to ride them in a great waterway .... average day trip om them is 80 mile ... with a great packed lunch ...

Regards
Anthony

Point of interest at least as far as my research has got me, Yamalube in Australia is Caltex Havoline in each of the respective weights and Yamalube tcw3 is the Caltex outboard oil.

Personally I wouldn't consider Havoline before 5 better choices for a 4 stroke oil.

Just use a Delo and be done with it!
smile.gif
:)

cheers

Could the dilution effect have something to do with it? That is, Amsoil probably has some assumption about the proportions of base oil, viscosity improvers, etc. It could be the other way around as well. Perhaps the diluted Yamalube is burning off!

I would run through 3 changes of Amsoil (to get the balance of the mix mostly Amsoil) and see if the consumption pattern is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back