Synthetic Oil Getting Consumed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly off topic. On that yamaha only refill to 1/2 way on the stick MAX, or you will blow off oil.

And not a slam on amsoil, it's good oil. But the rx1, vector and watercraft forums are also full of guys posting how they consume amsoil, but don't using yamalube. So your not the only one. Possible another amsoil product might work better?

I have used Amsoil long enough to understand why it is consumed in many different engines.
Understand some engines do not consume any amount of Amsoil, usually new engines with the first oil change with Amsoil, I speak mostly of automotive engines, but in PWC case it is not much different.
recently I had a new 5.0 engine consume terrific amount of 10w30 ATM Amsoil, 1 quart every 500 miles for about 3000 miles, my buddy was like Yo! what's UP! I was like looking for a mechanical fault, but we just kept adding oil during this time, finally the comsumption leveled off to 1 quart every 2000 miles now, the engine has a total of 6500 miles now.
break in for the engine takes a little more time with Amsoil than conventional oil, I rather it break in with Amsoil.
many other engines have different results I would keep adding Amsoil simply because it is not necessary to change as often as conventional oils. It would be much better to take a oil sample to find the true condition of your ski, but that is just my opinion...

just have to chip in: Is the engine just at 50hrs? Breaking in may not be done and using a better oil makes it take longer. The cylinder walls will be rougher longer and with an high quality oil that sticks well to the surfaces too, you will burn a bit more oil with every revolution of the engine.
Just maybe.

It's funny reading this post, I have been atving for quite a few years now and I there is much talk about Amsoil in atv forums.
I also switched from Yamalube to Amsoil atv 0W-40 and immediately noticed some oil consumption. I did one other oil change using the same oil and my results weren't any better. I then switched back to Yamalube and my consumption stopped. This was also the cause for many atver's on highlifter.com and grizzlyowners.com I am now using Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic(blue jug) and it doesn't consume any either.
The same thing happened with my 87 GM pick-up, one trip up north(approx. 250kms) and I was down a 1/2 litre. I switched to Mobil-1 5W-30 synthetic and my consumption stopped. My buddy was an Amsoil dealer and he asked questions with the higher ups and no one could come up with a reasonable answer. To say the least I will never run Amsoil in any engine I own ever again, including my boat motor...........Irv

Originally Posted By: irv
It's funny reading this post, I have been atving for quite a few years now and I there is much talk about Amsoil in atv forums.
I also switched from Yamalube to Amsoil atv 0W-40 and immediately noticed some oil consumption. I did one other oil change using the same oil and my results weren't any better. I then switched back to Yamalube and my consumption stopped. This was also the cause for many atver's on highlifter.com and grizzlyowners.com I am now using Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic(blue jug) and it doesn't consume any either.
The same thing happened with my 87 GM pick-up, one trip up north(approx. 250kms) and I was down a 1/2 litre. I switched to Mobil-1 5W-30 synthetic and my consumption stopped. My buddy was an Amsoil dealer and he asked questions with the higher ups and no one could come up with a reasonable answer. To say the least I will never run Amsoil in any engine I own ever again, including my boat motor...........Irv

sorry to hear your problem.
with regular oil you have no consumption anymore?
when do you change it? do you change it sooner than later?
when you had the Amsoil in you changed it like regular oil?
if it used an amount of oil during a normal interval why is that bad?
is your engine a new engine? or had a few hrs on it?
people always put in Amsoil and when issues come up like consumption, much of the blame is on the oil not the past history of the engine.
in a ATV with a clean air filter Amsoil oil will last 5/8 times longer than conventional oil.
if you are using oil it could be piston deposits on the ring lands i/e more than 100 hrs on engine, or the oil is being pulled in the PCV system.
If you panic and change out the amsoil before it can do it's job you have learned nothing with your machine.
if you would of taken oil samples to learn why your bike is eating oil maybe you could of learned something.
my 1991 Taurus SHO eats 3 quarts in 10,000 miles, how is that hurting my engine?
oil samples for that engine are good till about 18/22,000 miles.
you think I want to buy conventional and change it alot?????
57.gif

I dont thinks so
05.gif

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: irv

sorry to hear your problem.
with regular oil you have no consumption anymore?
when do you change it? do you change it sooner than later?
when you had the Amsoil in you changed it like regular oil?
if it used an amount of oil during a normal interval why is that bad?
is your engine a new engine? or had a few hrs on it?
people always put in Amsoil and when issues come up like consumption, much of the blame is on the oil not the past history of the engine.
in a ATV with a clean air filter Amsoil oil will last 5/8 times longer than conventional oil.
if you are using oil it could be piston deposits on the ring lands i/e more than 100 hrs on engine, or the oil is being pulled in the PCV system.
If you panic and change out the amsoil before it can do it's job you have learned nothing with your machine.
if you would of taken oil samples to learn why your bike is eating oil maybe you could of learned something.
my 1991 Taurus SHO eats 3 quarts in 10,000 miles, how is that hurting my engine?
oil samples for that engine are good till about 18/22,000 miles.
you think I want to buy conventional and change it alot?????
57.gif

I dont thinks so
05.gif

If I had waited until the change interval, there wouldn't have been any oil left to change!! How is that good for an engine??
Just how long does Amsoil take to do it's job? You are going through 3 quarts in 10,000 miles so I can assume it is greater than that? Let me know what milage you can accumlate before you have to add any??
All my vehicles were completely broken in if that makes a difference to you? Amsoil says you can run it anytime you like, new or broken in? You keep running it and throw your money out the window, myself I will save some coin and not have to worry about checking and adding some oil every week!....Irv

Quote:
Just how long does Amsoil take to do it's job?

how long did you give it?
Quote:
You are going through 3 quarts in 10,000 miles so I can assume it is greater than that? Let me know what milage you can accumlate before you have to add any??

my car has 77,000 miles and 4 oil changes in the past 9 years.
all together I bought 10 gallons to lube my car for 9 years.
I doubt your saved coins are more than mine, I could be wrong.
Quote:
You keep running it and throw your money out the window

I tend to think my money is in the lubricant keeping my engine from metal to metal contact under all operating conditions.
If I have to add oil then over a period of time I will surely find the source of compsumption, oil alone does not cause oil compsumption, mechanical issues are the cause.
If you put Amsoil in a 100,000 mile engine with no problems and good oil change intervals, then all of the sudden the rear main seals springs a leak, what do you think then?
blame the Synthetic oil for your troubles?
I would blame the varnished dry hard cracked seal that sprung the leak cause for one I have it in my hand and I can see the problem.
Next I would blame the past use of MINERAL oil that left the deposits on your engine.
I have taken apart over 1000 engines in 18 years and built over 60, 10 engines my own, 3 more are almost done now.
Use Mineral oil and you will be fooling around changing oil to prevent out of control sludge and in the end you still got the sludge anyway.
suite yourself.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Quote:
Just how long does Amsoil take to do it's job?

how long did you give it?
Quote:
You are going through 3 quarts in 10,000 miles so I can assume it is greater than that? Let me know what milage you can accumlate before you have to add any??

my car has 77,000 miles and 4 oil changes in the past 9 years.
all together I bought 10 gallons to lube my car for 9 years.
I doubt your saved coins are more than mine, I could be wrong.
Quote:
You keep running it and throw your money out the window

I tend to think my money is in the lubricant keeping my engine from metal to metal contact under all operating conditions.
If I have to add oil then over a period of time I will surely find the source of compsumption, oil alone does not cause oil compsumption, mechanical issues are the cause.
If you put Amsoil in a 100,000 mile engine with no problems and good oil change intervals, then all of the sudden the rear main seals springs a leak, what do you think then?
blame the Synthetic oil for your troubles?
I would blame the varnished dry hard cracked seal that sprung the leak cause for one I have it in my hand and I can see the problem.
Next I would blame the past use of MINERAL oil that left the deposits on your engine.
I have taken apart over 1000 engines in 18 years and built over 60, 10 engines my own, 3 more are almost done now.
Use Mineral oil and you will be fooling around changing oil to prevent out of control sludge and in the end you still got the sludge anyway.
suite yourself.

Most synthetic oils now a days will run just as long as any other synthetic oil but they don't advertise it.(except Mobil-1)
I was using Kendal Elite synthetic in my newest truck and through engine analysis I was able to run 13,000km's bewtween oil changes, with no oil consumption!! How come I would have had to add approx. 4 to 6 litres of Amsoil if I was running during that time?? Answer me that one?
I do one oil change a year now running Mobil-1 and I don't have to add a drop so who is spending more money on oil? Trust me, I look after my stuff and I also have built a few engines over the years, I own a Pro-Street car which runs great and doesn't consume any of my Mobil-1 20W-50 oil, you will never see Amsoil in that engine as I couldn't afford to take the chance that it would consume it!!
Please come up with a legitimate answer why people are having consumption issues running Amsoil, and please don't blame it on their alleged lack of mtce and know how Mr engine builder, most people are pretty anal when it comes to mtce on their vehicles, that is why they chose Amsoil, because they "THINK" they are doing something good for their engine! As you can see, this thread is 5pgs long so I am not the only 1 and like I said previously, there is much talk about the same consumption issues on various atv forums as well as a big boat forum I belong to too. Anxiously awaiting.............Irv

Quote:
Please come up with a legitimate answer why people are having consumption issues running Amsoil, and please don't blame it on their alleged lack of mtce and know how Mr engine builder, most people are pretty anal when it comes to mtce on their vehicles, that is why they chose Amsoil, because they "THINK"

think and knowing are very different, thinking is "could that be true?"
knowing is following through and understanding what you know.

Quote:
Most synthetic oils now a days will run just as long as any other synthetic oil but they don't advertise it.(except Mobil-1)
I was using Kendal Elite synthetic in my newest truck and through engine analysis I was able to run 13,000km's bewtween oil changes, with no oil consumption!! How come I would have had to add approx. 4 to 6 litres of Amsoil if I was running during that time?? Answer me that one?

so you mean to tell me everybody using Amsoil has compsumption issues including all the vehicles you put Amsoil in?
this must be a new thing going around.
my dad has a toyota sienna 2006 with 80,000 already and that has had 4 oil changes in those miles and it uses a quart of oil at the 18/20,000 mile range. is that bad?
every engine is different, even identical engines will behave differently. you should try to understand these things before you go yelling wolf.

I have reported unusually high oil consumption with Amsoil TSO and Mobil1 HM 10W30. Switch back to dino and oil consumption returns to normal. This makes no sense to me. I don't understand it. But it's been very repeatable in my engine.

I ran the Amsoil 10w-30/WCT Marine oil for 12,000 miles/1 yr in my '06 Outback with zero oil consumption. So I rather doubt its the oil in this case.

I'd break in the PWC for 100 hrs before using Amsoil and there shouldn't be any consumption issues.

This discussion reminds me that sometimes we just have to find and oil type and viscosity that works best in a particular engine. No one brand or type can obviously be ideal for all. Besides, that would be too boring for us BITOG types. Some engines are more finicky than others, and so are their owners/operators.

I read in a small engine manual years ago, that some motors with constant or high performance use, would use more synthetic oil due to evaporation (instead of eventually becoming sludge, due to high heat), than dino oil.

The manual suggested to monitor the synthetic oil levels, under these conditons. Do not over fill. This is normal for some motors. Some modern engines use oil (even synthetic), due to the design of the lubrication system.

So if you like to use a synthetic oil in that motor, that is the price. Not all synthetics are created the same.

My experience has always been determined on the type of motor used. Some of my motors never consume synthetic, some do.

Last edited:
syn base stocks compared to like vis older conventional base stocks have much LOWER volitility thus less evaporation so manual is backwards
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back