Synthetic Oil Extended OCI's are Foolish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: modularv8
The average person doesn't know what severe service is, yet they would be classified that way by the OEM. OLMs have pretty much taken the guessing game out of oil change intervals. But some OEMs did recommend 3k under severe service, from 2007 it is 5k.

Part of the problem is how OEM defined severe service. Case in point: Toyota never stated that short trip service is severe servive. They only stated short trips in freezing temps.

Because of that confusion (their fault IMHO), now Toyota uses only one OCI for all services that happens to be an arithmetic mean between severe and normal and a nice round number (5000 miles, now replaced by 10000 with synthetics).

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
28.gif

18.gif
28.gif
35.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
They mention that they've never seen as many oil-related failures as they do now. Anecdotal, I know, but at least it's good to hear their reasoning...

Interesting. I wonder if it's truly "extended OCI's" or just flat out neglect? Seems to me the bulk of the population is more neglectful of car maintenance than ever before.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
They mention that they've never seen as many oil-related failures as they do now. Anecdotal, I know, but at least it's good to hear their reasoning...

Interesting. I wonder if it's truly "extended OCI's" or just flat out neglect? Seems to me the bulk of the population is more neglectful of car maintenance than ever before.

True that it could be the later. I wonder how many people even check their oil anymore... Perhaps not having full service gas stations anymore has contributed?

I listen to a podcast from a couple of good ol' boy mechanics down in Baton Rouge that seem to have a pretty encyclopedic car knowledge. They are very anti-extended drains. Perhaps their logic is flawed (dirty oil circulating longer in the crankcase)

If that's the case, someone needs to pick a better oil filter.

I agree on the not knowing what severe service is though. I wish cars came with TBN monitors, that would be awesome.

Too much generalization by the first poster.
This issue depends on the individual engine and the environment that it is operated in, how it is maintained, and the length of time it is operated.

A 7 year old article. A child can compose a better one.

IMHO a vehicle with a NA engine that sees mostly highway miles should be fine with a 15k oci. TR engines 10k.

Stop n go 10k with NA and 7,5k with turbo. With the appropriate oil.

This is my opinion. Follow your manufacture specified intervals if its under warranty.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Is this car expert saying extended OCI's (10k miles) with synthetic oil is foolish? I think he might be...what do you think?

http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm

He talks about sludgers. I agree that extended OCI are foolish in engines known to be sludgers.

+1 Oil's can not overcome mechanical or design defects.

to add too dave1251 and hardcore302 and my post. If you have a know sludger. Toyota,lexus v6 ,saab,volvo,Audi and vw turbo. And chrysler 2.7l v6 POS and other's. Stick to severe OCI for stop n go or 5k for highway and use a xw30 weight synthetic oil. For the 1.8lt vw use shorter oci. but use syn xw40 euro formula, or T6.

Originally Posted By: sasha
to add too dave1251 and hardcore302 and my post. If you have a know sludger. Toyota,lexus v6 ,saab,volvo,Audi and vw turbo. And chrysler 2.7l v6 POS and other's. Stick to severe OCI for stop n go or 5k for highway and use a xw30 weight synthetic oil. For the 1.8lt vw use shorter oci. but use syn xw40 euro formula, or T6.

LOL, this is no what you said in your previous post, not even close.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: sasha

LOL, this is no what you said in your previous post, not even close.
yeah i meant to add engines with sludge issues in my post.

My car specifies synthetic oil in the manual AND a 3000 mile service interval.

This is strictly a fuel dilution thing, and I'm sure there are other examples out there.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Many of the cars on his list (Audi, Volvo, SAAB, VW) developed sludge due to manufacturer/dealer not using the correct oil. Often times, bulk mineral oil was used while following extended OCIs.

I've seen this link posted here before. At best, it's just a snapshot of what happened with overly optimistic OCIs using API conventional oil in such applications. If he thinks every Audi/Benz/BMW needs a new fill of M1 0w-40 every 3000 miles, he's sadly mistaken.

The dates for Toyota sludge complaints is actually 1997-2001. Model update in 02, including a change in engine designs. So if they have the years wrong what else is inaccurate? For Toyota the problems actually did spawn from owner neglect. The PCV system was a bad design no doubt. So when neglected it lent itself to clogging resulting in the engine gelling and sludging. Those that changed their oil on time and performed standard maintenance like cleaning/replacing the PCV valve did not experience the problem. Keeping it real, when somebody's asked about neglect what is the response? "Of course I changed my oil on time". Yeah ok.

Depends upon the engine and how its used.
10K or more on the right oil works well in many engines.
Check the UOA forum to verify.
3K is probably right for some use patterns, and sythetics are probably desirable for some engines even on shorter drains in some use patterns.
I think that any good UOA showing oxidation, nitration and TBN can help the user decide on a sensible UOA for the use the vehicle is put to.
Short drains would protect all, but are not needed for most use patterns with most engines.

The oci is unique to the driver,route,engine oil capacity,etc.,etc.,etc. Start at the recommended severe service oci in your manual,or,the recommended oci in your manual,run a synthetic oil,and a good oil filter. No need to spilt hairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back