Synthetic Brake Fluid Advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some synthetic brake fluid, can I use it in the 95 Taurus and 02 Dodge Caravan?

Pro's and Con's, just a better fluid is it, runs cooler.

I've never understood what makes brake fluid synthetic, but I think the main advantage is boiling point of the fluid for high performance brake operation. Usually a fluid that is rated DOT 4 is better in that regard. Someone who travels in the mountains or drives aggresively would probably have better brake operation when things get hot, due to the higher boiling point. That being said, I use Valvoline's "synthetic" DOT 4 in everything that requires brake fluid, except my old 52 Ford Tractor. It gets DOT 3.

To answer your question, yes you can use it. Just make sure it is not DOT 5 or says silcone brake fluid since DOT 5 is not compatible. Your fluid should say DOT 3 or 4, and it's probably DOT 4 if it's synthetic.

As mentioned earlier, other than DOT 5 which is silicon based, ALL brake fluid is synthetic. It has been for decades. That includes DOT 3, DOT 4, the higher standards of DOT 5.1 and DOT 6, and even the older standards of 70R1 and 70R3.

Big Jim wrote: "other than DOT 5 which is silicon based, ALL brake fluid is synthetic."

DOT 5 is silicon based, but it is also synthetic. The base fluid is polydimethylsiloxane.

By the way, I think that DOT 5.1 is (like DOT 3&4) based on polyethylene glycol.

From the Wiki..

In the USA brake fluid comes in a number of forms, standardized under by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT). DOT 2 is essentially castor oil; DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 are composed of various mineral oils, glycol esters and ethers; and DOT 5 is silicone-based. As of 2006, most cars produced in the U.S. use DOT 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back