2 1/2 Year Old Brake Fluid

I have some sealed unopened litre bottles of brake fluid that have been stored inside my house for 2 1/2 years.

The only concern I have is that the bottles are plastic. and perhaps some moisture has migrated through the plastic into the fluid. If the bottles were glass I would not have any concerns at all about using it..

Safe to use the fluid? Two and half year old brake fluid..JPG

How Long Does Brake Fluid Last? In ideal conditions, an unopened bottle of brake fluid lasts about two years. It's best to use a new bottle of brake fluid every time you need it because the fluid attracts moisture as soon as it is opened.

DMM probes held apart an inch in the fluid indicates about 15 MOhm (and climbing very slowly) resistamce. I don't think this test gives us any useful information.

Can you elaborate ?
Have never used these and don't know if they're reliable, but I've seen shops show people test strips of their brake fluid. Could be half a scam, could be accurate if used correctly. I haven't researched.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about using it but brake fluid is cheap enough. If it bothers you I'd replace it.

If it had been opened, I would toss it for sure.

I've used stuff that was easily 10 years old, had no idea it expired.

Have run plenty of vehicles that had easily 20 yr old fluid. Stuff looked nassty, but stopped fine.
The water, if I remember correctly, is mostly an issue because it'll corrode everything and if you're using the brakes hard (i.e. heating them up a lot) the water doesn't compress when it boils and you'll lose the ability to stop. If you live in flat Kansas probably lower risk of overheating than if you live in a hilly or mountainous area. I replace my fluid to avoid having to replace expensive ABS stuff. But that's my personal reason. A friend decades ago asked what I was doing when I was replacing my fluid and I told them. They'd never done it on, at the time, a 9 year old car. So I did it for them. The fluid was extremely black, gritty, etc. That made me realize all that gunk, if not removed, has gotta clog something up.

The water, if I remember correctly, is mostly an issue because it'll corrode everything and if you're using the brakes hard (i.e. heating them up a lot) the water doesn't compress when it boils and you'll lose the ability to stop. If you live in flat Kansas probably lower risk of overheating than if you live in a hilly or mountainous area. I replace my fluid to avoid having to replace expensive ABS stuff. But that's my personal reason. A friend decades ago asked what I was doing when I was replacing my fluid and I told them. They'd never done it on, at the time, a 9 year old car. So I did it for them. The fluid was extremely black, gritty, etc. That made me realize all that gunk, if not removed, has gotta clog something up.
Most of my stuff is pre ABS. That only came common in the late 90s.

Back