Synthetic blends oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a safe OCI for synthetic blend oils?I know if it's stop&go it should be I think 5k.If you do mostly highway I would think you could go safely 5-6K.Any thoughts.Joe

I'm using a synthetic blend right now, and just like you said, thinking of changing at 5-6000 miles (8-10,000KM).

Depends on car, oil and application. But 6K miles should be fine if it's regularly fully warmed up on the highway.

Yeah, it's really hard to say. I used to go 7-8k on a synthetic blend on a Ford. I think it was hard to nail down but there were claims that Motorcraft oil was a 50/50 synthetic blend although most manufacturers don't say what the percentage split is. I used to just make my own by throwing in a couple quarts of synthetic with conventional. Did over 200k on the car before the transmission died.

Most of the common syn blends we are seeing now have a pretty good percentage of syn in them. Anything that meets Dexos is likely to have a good bit. Pennzoil Gold for example meets Dexos and it says right on the bottle it is at least 50% synthetic.

Oils like that should be easily good for 5k and 7-8 is probably quite reasonable depending on your use pattern. Pennzoil Gold, it's cousin QS syn blend and Motorcraft are all blends that certainly have a good amount of syn base in them. I think Maxlife and Durablend have a reasonable amount as well.

As mentioned others not so much. Castrol HM is a syn blend, I've used it extensively and I am convinced it has very little synthetic in it based on UOA's and the specs Castrol publishes on it.

I would think it depends on the oil.. If it's a good syn blend like the Mobil or Conoco (Motorcraft) it should be good for 6000 miles..

With sale prices on full syn whenever they come up, might as well use that. Never saw much sense in a blend. My last F150 said 5,000 miles using MC syn blend, although I went to full syn at first oil change.

Originally Posted By: Joeforester
How about Magnatec?

Magnatec 5W 30 is synthetic blend and yes you can go 5,000 miles OCI with no problems there are plenty of Blackstone oil analysis for this oil that shows this to be a great oil. The Magnatec 5W 20 is full synthetic just fyi.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Most of the common syn blends we are seeing now have a pretty good percentage of syn in them. Anything that meets Dexos is likely to have a good bit. Pennzoil Gold for example meets Dexos and it says right on the bottle it is at least 50% synthetic.

I think Maxlife and Durablend have a reasonable amount as well.

Last I heard, Valvoline DuraBlend was about 30% synthetic.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
Originally Posted By: Joeforester
How about Magnatec?

Magnatec 5W 30 is synthetic blend and yes you can go 5,000 miles OCI with no problems there are plenty of Blackstone oil analysis for this oil that shows this to be a great oil. The Magnatec 5W 20 is full synthetic just fyi.

For Magnatec, 0w-20 and 5w-20 are labeled "Full Synthetic", 5w-30 and 10w-30 are labeled as a "synthetic blend". Only the 10w-30 is not Dexos approved. I wonder if the blend percentage between the 5w and 10w is a lot different?

I have some of the Magnatec 10w-30 for my moms Saturn Vue that I plan on running out to the OLM light (usually 6500-7000 miles).

Originally Posted By: Bud
With sale prices on full syn whenever they come up, might as well use that. Never saw much sense in a blend. My last F150 said 5,000 miles using MC syn blend, although I went to full syn at first oil change.

Well the Taurus was a classic leaker so after 2k or so it needed a quart. So you start off with a synthetic blend and just keep topping it up with conventional.

There is almost no price difference between conventional, synblend and full synthetic oils. Mobil 1 sells for $15/5Q after rebates, the EP version for $18/5Q. I really don't understand why anyone would bother when at the very most you might save $2 or $3 per oil change, and spend more per mile when you consider the longer life of synthetics. My question is why would spend more for an inferior product?

Many people choose to stick with synthetic, or synthetic blend, due to full synthetic sometimes causing increased consumption,leaks, and engine noise.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Only the 10w-30 is not Dexos approved. I wonder if the blend percentage between the 5w and 10w is a lot different?

I failed to find a dexos1 10W30. http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/
I would imagine 10W-30 isnot a recommended viscosity so why would a company play for the licensin.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Beware of syn blends. Some have almost no synthetic (below 15%) base.

Valvoline MaxLife & DuraBlend are 30%-40% synthetic, straight from a Valvoline rep when I asked. Pennzoil Gold is advertised right on the bottle as 50%+ synthetic. I have seen & heard Motorcraft is 60% but I can't find a reputable source or anything official but Motorcraft has to have a good slug of synthetic since Ford recommends a possible 10,000 mile OCI with it in turbo, direct injection engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back